Marítimo vs Newcastle (20/09/12) 6pm KO - Live on ESPN

ponsaelius

Not p*ssed off at all

The fans who've gone there probably will be.

Why? Pardew has made it clear that he plans to use squad players for Europe especially with 3 games in 7 days. I'm sure the fans who booked knew they couldn't expect to see a full strength team.

Not p*ssed off at all

Why? Pardew has made it clear that he plans to use squad players for Europe especially with 3 games in 7 days. I'm sure the fans who booked knew they couldn't expect to see a full strength team.

There's a difference between not full strength and just playing the reserves though.

Not p*ssed off at all

There's a difference between not full strength and just playing the reserves though.

Well not sure what you were expecting 3 days after a difficult away trip at Everton and a home game coming up on the Sunday. I certainly never expected to see the big guns on show. Happy for the squad players to be giving game time to improve and push for starting roles.

Regarding us sending "reserves".

Not too bothered with it. If we're not going to invest heavily - which we clearly are not - we need to nurture the talent we have. They are not going to get their chances in the Premier Leauge. However, this is good opposition to blood them against. The club's policy is to bring in lots of youngsters and promote from within. I'm all for giving Sammy, Vuckic, Bigi, Abeid, Tavernier, Ferguson, Campbell and Streete their chance here, rather than play Ba, Cabaye and Jonas.

They'll be better for it, they'll be hungry. We'll send in the heavy artillery if we fail miserably in the opening games. I'm still confident that this lot can get a result there.

If fielding some of the youngsters in this competition helps one or two of them developing into players good enough to be included in the first team, that that alone is probably worth more than the price money and cup progress in giving us stronger position to compete for and in Europe in the longer term.

[/positive spin]

Some overreactions to the squad strength in here, but not all of it unjustified. The main worry for me is in central midfield. I can only hope that we play a midfield 3 of Perch, Bigirimana and Abeid. I also wouldn't like to see Taylor risked at all, but I suppose we have no one else. Rather Anita didn't play either.

Like to see the following line up:

Harper

Tavernier  Williamson  Taylor    Santon

Bigirimana    Perch

Abeid

Obertan                          Marveaux

Ameobi

Not p*ssed off at all

Well not sure what you were expecting 3 days after a difficult away trip at Everton and a home game coming up on the Sunday. I certainly never expected to see the big guns on show. Happy for the squad players to be giving game time to improve and push for starting roles.

The better team we put out at home against Atromitos almost got us knocked out so I'm a little bit concerned.

I've said previously I was really excited to see some of our young players getting a chance so it's not all bad. Signing a few more players in the summer would have pushed us safely through the group of course.

Not p*ssed off at all

The better team we put out at home against Atromitos almost got us knocked out so I'm a little bit concerned.

I've said previously I was really excited to see some of our young players getting a chance so it's not all bad. Signing a few more players in the summer would have pushed us safely through the group of course.

No it didn't. They had a good chance to level the scoreline but shot wide. It was a shite performance, for sure, but don't let the aching desire to be cynical at every possible turn make you rewrite history.

Looking at the squad our strongest XI is:

Harper

Anita Taylor Williamson Santon

Perch Bigirimana

Obertan Amalifitano/Vuckic Marveaux

Shola ©

So I'd go with that.

Thats not a bad team tbh, best possible back 5 Bigi, Perch, Amifitano and Marv have all be fairly decent this season. :thup:

Keep the same back 5 as it will breed familiarity for the weekend and further when we're without Colo (if they + Perch are looking tired they can be howked off) and the rest aren't likely to feature on the weekends likely starting XI anyway.

Not p*ssed off at all

No it didn't. They had a good chance to level the scoreline but shot wide. It was a s**** performance, for sure, but don't let the aching desire to be cynical at every possible turn make you rewrite history.

They could/should have scored that chance and should have a penalty. That's not being cynical (yawn).