Marítimo vs Newcastle (20/09/12) 6pm KO - Live on ESPN

ponsaelius

Pardew's in a difficult situation, he's got no chance of keeping everyone happy. Fans will always moan about team selections or substitutions. Players will voice concern over lack of game time or in need of a rest. I think Pardew will do a good job this season of rotating where he see's fit and fielding a team he is confident can come away with the right result. If things don't go to plan i'm sure he will be the first to hold his hands up and change things around.

Prioritising a Champions League place with zero investment. :lol: :lol:

That's the kind of delusion the fans commonly get slaughtered for, often by our own.

Eh? You dont rate our current side much then even after last year? If we're playing a weaker side in Europe to keep them fit i dont see the delusion.

That would be a massacre.

I think Fergie will play most of his youngsters as well by the sounds of it.

Their youngsters have given ours some serious beatings down there in recent years at Academy and Reserve level and their fringe players are better and more experienced than ours.  If we play kids, we will get battered.

Surely to develop the youngsters, it is better for them to play with experienced players and not a load of other inexperienced kids.

I think those are admirable, honest and unrealistic comments by Pardew.

Going for fourth sounds brilliant. It's just never going to happen with the paper thin squad we're in possession of, especially not with the EL going on as well.

We're likely to end up in a position where we could qualify for EL next season as well, which would make this year's participation weird, as it seems we are going to play reserves and not that bothered with it.

As for the CC game, I'd play loads of youngsters. Don't care if we get slaughtered. Send in the babies and let's em have it. Fergie will probably do the same.

Should play full strength team in every game. I'd rather sacrifice a few league points for a chance of winning this competition.

What's the point playing all season to qualify for Europe, then sacking it off when you get there?

You would be sacrificing more than a few. Same lineup 2/3 games in the space of a week. Not only would we become very predictable, we will also be fucking knackered.  :idiot2:

Should play full strength team in every game. I'd rather sacrifice a few league points for a chance of winning this competition.

What's the point playing all season to qualify for Europe, then sacking it off when you get there?

I'd rather rotate but make sure there's a strong mature spine, raylors injury will hurt us most in the europa league imo

I'm actually really excited about this game and seeing our academy really step up. Sure, it's a level beyond whattheyre used to but unless they play these matches they have no hope of pushing on. Come on fergie, Sammy, Bigi, Abeid, vuckic, campbell expecting big things from you all

Same here. The last round match at St James was the best football we've played this season IMO. Really enjoyed watching Vukic, Bigi and and co. We look a bit naive at times, but there's a lot of flair and exciting talent on show at the same time.

I'm actually really excited about this game and seeing our academy really step up. Sure, it's a level beyond whattheyre used to but unless they play these matches they have no hope of pushing on. Come on fergie, Sammy, Bigi, Abeid, vuckic, campbell expecting big things from you all

Same here. The last round match at St James was the best football we've played this season IMO. Really enjoyed watching Vukic, Bigi and and co. We look a bit naive at times, but there's a lot of flair and exciting talent on show at the same time.

I though we were pretty awful apart from the opening 10 minutes in that game?

Guest WashyGeordie

Alan Pardew insists United's stars of the future will gain "fantastic experience" from their Europa League exploits, as the boss looks to shuffle his pack on Thursday against Maritimo.

The Magpies have travelled to Madeira for their opening Group D fixture without Tim Krul, Danny Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Fabricio Coloccini, Cheick Tiote and Papiss Cisse (all injured), as well as Hatem Ben Arfa (suspended), Yohan Cabaye, Jonas Gutierrez and Demba Ba (all did not travel).

And while that is far from an ideal situtation for the boss, Pardew knows it provides the rest of his squad - particularly some of his younger players - with the chance to impress.

"We have said all along that with the competitions we are in, everybody will get a game," he explained.

"What we have to do is to pick the team that we feel is good enough to win the game.

"Whatever team we put out, I have no problem with picking from my 26 players that I have, and that includes the likes of Adam Campbell, Shane Ferguson and Sammy Ameobi.

"These guys are going to get some fantastic experience this year, and we are going to be the benefactors of that in the long-term.

"We are a little bit short of defenders in terms of options. We've lost three defenders, and if you count Tim that is four.

"So it's not ideal, but Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor and Perchy have been absolutely brilliant this season and carried on where they left off last year.

"We knew we would get injuries, and this is one of those periods where we need our senior players to bring the others through, and that will happen."

While there is likely to be a handful of changes to the Newcastle personnel from that which drew at Everton on Monday night, Pardew is adamant that their aim remains unchanged - to fly back to Tyneside with three points in the bag.

"We expect a tough, physical encounter because Maritimo are a strong team," he ssaid,

"They had a good result at the weekend, so we are expecting it to be very tough for us.

"But we have experience in our team and we are well set to cope with what should be a difficult game for us.

"We always come to win - we are Newcastle United."

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120920/pardew-plots-euro-vision_2281670_2924480

Man United won't put anything special out either.

Which is exactly why we should play a strong side and beat them. Time and time again we've seen lesser teams go far in the cups while we've been dumped out very early, I'd hate to thing we're going to bend over and let that happen again at the first attempt this season. Plus when was the last time we won at OT? A win next week would be fantastic.

It's a fantastic position to be in, in terms of giving younger players the needed experience to take the next step. And the fact we are in europe makes the club a better prospect for the new players that might arrive. Thinking two or even three years ahead it's more important to actually participate in the tournament then going all in and not be in it the next year.