Newcastle United vs. West Bromwich Albion - 28/10/12 @ 3pm

EthiGeordie

I'm more annoyed about Williamson ahead of Taylor tbh. If we're going to punt it long all day we might as well not bother with Cisse, cos he won't get a sniff. Shola might.

If Williamson isn't playing, we can't float the ball to Williamson from set pieces.

I know, that's what i'm most annoyed about. It's going to be that all afternoon, again.

Guest bimpy474

Not sure playing direct (as it looks like with the line up) against 4 centre backs as their defence is all that clever to be honest.

And exactly how bad does Jonas have to play to be dropped/rested/rotated.

Jonas will never be dropped. I don't know why.

I love him but he has been playing so badly that he needs to be dropped on form alone.

Not exactly an Obertan fan, but he played so well Thursday that he deserves a chance if you look at things fairly. And Sammy's performance too.

The question we have to be asking is: is Shola good enough to be starting up front for a team with supposed Champions League aspirations? Are we going to get enough points with that set up?

If the answer is no, then you ask the same question about Cisse, which to me is an obvious yes, regardless of form.

If the answer is yes then you're mental, quite frankly.

http://i47.tinypic.com/30w7e39.jpg

What do you think of the lineup?

Wouldn't have been what I would have gone with but will see how we go.

Speaking without saying anything, no offence like.

Not sure what you want me to say? I would have gone for a different formation but won't throw myself on the floor kicking and screaming because we have gone for something else? Instead I will see how it pans out?

Or have I still not said anything?

Guest bimpy474

I'm more annoyed about Williamson ahead of Taylor tbh. If we're going to punt it long all day we might as well not bother with Cisse, cos he won't get a sniff. Shola might.

If Williamson isn't playing, we can't float the ball to Williamson from set pieces.

Which against their centre backs would be as dumb as you could get. :(

The question we have to be asking is: is Shola good enough to be starting up front for a team with supposed Champions League aspirations? Are we going to get enough points with that set up?

If the answer is no, then you ask the same question about Cisse, which to me is an obvious yes, regardless of form.

Starting games against Sunderland & WBA I don't particularly have a problem with. We're going to be playing 50+ games this season, Cisse's not in good form at all...Shola was always going to start some, we knew that in September when there wasn't another centre-forward signed so not sure why it's a shock all of a sudden 2 months on.

If we go to Anfield next week however and see Shola ahead of Cisse. That's different. They have 4 centre-backs across their defence today, I don't have a problem with two wide men trying to expose a potential lack of pace in those areas and using Ba & Shola's physical presence today.

Shola will now score after the stick he's getting.

I've nowt against the bloke these days. But he's not good enough to be starting games in this league.

Hope you're right anyway.

I agree and look forward to the day when he's no longer at the club.

Not sure what you want me to say? I would have gone for a different formation but won't throw myself on the floor kicking and screaming because we have gone for something else? Instead I will see how it pans out?

No I get it, I just don't see anyone else kicking or screaming, given the circumstances I think frustration is perfectly understandable.

Then answer was found last season where we won 7 of our last 10 games. A 3- pronged attack of HBA, Ba and Cisse. With Ba and Cisse interchanging the left forward position. Pardews issue with the formation is that Demba Ba was not happy playing out wide. Its a disgrace that the happiness of one player dictates the style and success of our team. The truth is Demba was having an unlucky run as a striker. Initially he was still getting into those great positions and hitting the bar etc. Then it affected his confidence and he started to strop around the pitch. If Ba played left forward now, with his current form. I have no doubt he would continue to score.

At least with Williamson/Taylor there's the fact that Taylor is just back from injury.

Starting Shola ahead of Cisse based on playing long ball is very concerning.

It really is. I love Pardew, but fairly often he manages to piss me off.

Starting games against Sunderland & WBA I don't particularly have a problem with. We're going to be playing 50+ games this season, Cisse's not in good form at all...

If we go to Anfield next week however and see Shola ahead of Cisse. That's different. They have 4 centre-backs across their defence today, I don't have a problem with two wide men trying to expose a potential lack of pace in those areas and using Ba & Shola's physical presence today.

Generally agree. If we were playing in the Champions League, we'd be mad not to start Cisse. But in the context of an individual game against WBA, Shola and Ba is a decent enough strike partnership to get three points. I still think Cisse should be in the team, but it's not an offensively bad decision.

No I get it, I just don't see anyone else kicking or screaming, given the circumstances I think frustration is perfectly understandable.

Honestly?

I give up :lol:

Pardew was just on Five Live saying that the Europa League is basically destroying our league preparation, and the reason we look disjointed at the weekend is because we only really have a day to prepare instead of a full week. Can't really argue with that I guess.

Starting games against Sunderland & WBA I don't particularly have a problem with. We're going to be playing 50+ games this season, Cisse's not in good form at all...

Generally agree. If we were playing in the Champions League, we'd be mad not to start Cisse. But in the context of an individual game against WBA, Shola and Ba is a decent enough strike partnership to get three points. I still think Cisse should be in the team, but it's not an offensively bad decision.

I'd like to think you're right but I'll be thinking of this post when Shola falls over the ball in their penalty area.

I'd like to think you're right but I'll be thinking of this post when Shola falls over the ball in their penalty area.

He's hardly the Calamity Jane he once was.