Newcastle United vs. West Bromwich Albion - 28/10/12 @ 3pm

EthiGeordie

Pardew was just on Five Live saying that the Europa League is basically destroying our league preparation, and the reason we look disjointed at the weekend is because we only really have a day to prepare instead of a full week. Can't really argue with that I guess.

Never really seemed to be that big a problem for other teams. Particularly the Champions League regulars, who've had their domestic seasons interrupted on a consistent basis for the last twenty years.

Nonsense from Pardew, tbh.

Pardew was just on Five Live saying that the Europa League is basically destroying our league preparation, and the reason we look disjointed at the weekend is because we only really have a day to prepare instead of a full week. Can't really argue with that I guess.

Never really seemed to be that big a problem for other teams. Particularly the Champions League regulars, who've had their domestic seasons interrupted on a consistent basis for the last twenty years.

They're regulars though, we're not.

Starting to throw away excuses isn´t going to help our season.

Plus they have far bigger squads and resources available.

Pardew definitely isn't the first manager to complain about this either.

That's because them teams have developed a system in order to cope with the limited downtime between game, where as we haven't, its like Stoke last year, there league form dropped around this time.

If preparation is a problem caused by the Europa League, which I cannot buy anyway because it's a problem for all good teams, the absolutely obvious question is why the fuck do we play a completely different system between the two competitions? ???

Guest bimpy474

That's because them teams have developed a system in order to cope with the downtime between game, where as we haven't, its like Stoke last year, there league form dropped.

Dropped my arse, they are just shit.

The only game i'll allow that excuse for is Chelsea straight after Atromitos. Villa, Norwich and Manu were our other games straight off the back of Europa League matches. So it doesn't excuse shite like the Reading performance.

Not buying it for a second tbh.

The squad isn't big enough, sure. If he'd pointed that out as a problem, i could go with it. But he won't do that cos there's clearly some unwritten agreement that he never, ever slags off the board.

That's because them teams have developed a system in order to cope with the limited downtime between game, where as we haven't, its like Stoke last year, there league form dropped around this time.

I dont buy into it. Only one player in our starting 11 played 90 minutes on Thursday night.

If preparation is a problem caused by the Europa League, which I cannot buy anyway because it's a problem for all good teams, the absolutely obvious question is why the fuck do we play a completely different system between the two competitions? ???

Pardew had that excuse ready before we even qualified, it's a bit disappointing he chooses to turn a positive into a negative.

I dont buy into it. Only one player in our starting 11 played 90 minutes on Thursday night.

He didn't mention the players and tiredness etc. It was purely about the preparation; tactics, training and systems.

Guest bimpy474

What Pardew says and what is reality are beginning to get further apart as time goes by. Control games....when ?  Passing football when ? A need to sort out our set pieces.....laughable its not changed at all.

Worrying that nothing has changed in regard to any of those.

At least with Williamson/Taylor there's the fact that Taylor is just back from injury.

Starting Shola ahead of Cisse based on playing long ball is very concerning.

Not surprising though, since that's the football Pardew always reverts to when the pressure is on. I don't buy any of this shite about Ba and Cisse not working as a pair either. They are both decent footballers when the ball is on the floor, the issue is te football being played around them for me. Get that right and they will click.

I can understand it hampering us with little tactical changes for the opposition but not for our lack of attacking cohesion. It's something that should be worked on in pre-season (along with a consistent formation) which then gels more naturally as the season progresses. As I recall we played 4-3-3 most of pre-season. We're almost 10 games in and still look all over the place attacking wise.

I can understand it hampering us with little tactical changes for the opposition but not for our lack of attacking cohesion. It's something that should be worked on in pre-season (along with a consistent formation) which then gels more natural as the season progresses. As I recall we played 4-3-3 most of pre-season. We're almost 10 games in and still look all over the place attacking wise.

Aye i haven't seen an attacking game-plan in any of our games so far this season.

I can understand it hampering us with little tactical changes for the opposition but not for our lack of attacking cohesion. It's something that should be worked on in pre-season (along with a consistent formation) which then gels more naturally as the season progresses. We're almost 10 games in and still look all over the place attacking wise.

Well we've seen that Pardew often worries a little bit too much about negating what the opposition will do rather than focussing on his own team's positives attributes. When he gets it right (eg Stoke, Swansea away last year) it can work a treat, but a lot of the time it seems a bit negative.

Guest bimpy474

I'm thinking we are looking like we did under Dalglish where we started out to not lose. Exception is we have better players on the pitch,  it doesn't look as obvious but theres a definite defensive feel all the time.

I really hope Shola isn't starting on the grounds that he was unlucky to be taken off last week. He can't be starting on the grounds that he's more likely to score than Cisse, because he isn't, or because the team plays better with him in, because we don't, or because he has shown anything in the last decade to show he deserves to start for this club, because he hasn't.