Newcastle Utd vs Maritimo - 22/11/12 @ 8:05pm (Live on ESPN)

Beren

No pissing about with a shadow team. Send out the strongest team possible. Reasons? A win would ensure we qualified for the knock out stages. A win may mean that we win the group and would therefore not face a Champions League team in the first knock out stage. The first choice 11 team could do with the confidence boost of a win (if we win). The supposed benefits of resting first team players for the Premiership has not been reflected in the results. At the moment we don't look like we'll be qualifying for Europe next season so we may as well give it a proper go this season.

Obertan is out for this as well, btw. Losing track of suspensions/injuries in different competitions a little bit.

Krul

Simpson    Colo  Willo*  Santon

Tiote**        Jonas***

Amalfitano

HBA                    Ferguson

Cisse

* Williamson - I'd like us to play close to our first team, but with Colo still out for one more Premiership game, I'd rather Willo got injured (if someone has to!) than Saylor

** Tiote can collect his booking in this match and sit out Bordeaux as we will hopefully have qualified already

*** Pardew has already said he will play

As for Ferguson instead of Ba, I think HBADembaDemba is great but I don't see it as a sustainable trio up front over a season. Would rather we just rotate Ba and Cisse through the centre. Don't think either has the stamina/legs to work the channels for a whole season. There is the option of them mixing it up during the game (as in, one goes through the centre in first half, then swap after half time), but I'm not sure how good Cisse will be at doing this tbh. It's a square peg in a round hole situation.

Ferguson is also really coming along well and deserves a proper run/chance to prove himself. Encouraging.

No pissing about with a shadow team. Send out the strongest team possible. Reasons? A win would ensure we qualified for the knock out stages. A win may mean that we win the group and would therefore not face a Champions League team in the first knock out stage. The first choice 11 team could do with the confidence boost of a win (if we win). The supposed benefits of resting first team players for the Premiership has not been reflected in the results. At the moment we don't look like we'll be qualifying for Europe next season so we may as well give it a proper go this season.

We've got too many games coming up (10 before January 1st) with too many injuries already to be playing important players in a meaningless match.  The "kids" have done well enough so far and they'll be fine on Thursday.

Krul

Santon      Coloccini      Saylor      Fergie

Tiote    Cabaye  Anita

HBA                  Cisse                Marveaux

Good luck wiith seeing  Cabaye in the team.

Meaningless match? ???

We'll very likely win with a weakened team playing. Southampton next week is infinitely more important and should be the immediate priority.

I agree our weakened team may win but the policy of resting first team players for Premiership games isn't getting good results. Maybe playing a more settled side and getting them a win could be more beneficial than the players being fully rested. It could give them some much needed confidence going into the Southampton game. Loads of players at other teams play two games a week. I don't see why ours can't. For example, can Ben Arfa really only play one 90 minute game a week?

Meaningless match? ???

We'll very likely win with a weakened team playing. Southampton next week is infinitely more important and should be the immediate priority.

Embarrassing from you to call it a meaningless match. We need to win something, and this is the best chance of doing it. Far from meaningless.

Play the first team, the strongest team. They need practice and a confidence boost.

Embarrassing from you to call it a meaningless match. We need to win something, and this is the best chance of doing it. Far from meaningless.

Play the first team, the strongest team. They need practice and a confidence boost.

We've got too many games coming up (10 before January 1st) with too many injuries already to be playing important players in a meaningless match.  The "kids" have done well enough so far and they'll be fine on Thursday.

Of course all this "play the strongest team!!" stuff would be quietly ignored if we picked up an injury or a suspension...