Newcastle United 3 - 0 Wigan - 03/12/12 - post-match reaction from page 41

Dave

Guest malandro

By the letter of the law it was a penalty and a red card imo. The punishment is so severe though.

Football is a contact sport and it wasn't a clear penalty by any stretch of the imagination. More like the kind of decision you get at home when (you are not playing Man United) and your luck is in.

Getting sent off for that is a joke. There would be outrage on here if Colo got sent off for doing nothing more than leaning into a player who didn't have possession of the ball.

One thing i noticed last night was how well we pressed high up the field. It's not something we've done too well (if at all) until these last two games, and especially last night. It put the opposition under pressure from minute 1 and was an example of our intensity straight from kick off. There was always a couple of our front men charging down their keeper/CBs. It had them on the backfoot from the word go and made them more liable to make mistakes (like getting a man sent off).

One thing i noticed last night was how well we pressed high up the field. It's not something we've done too well (if at all) until these last two games, and especially last night. It put the opposition under pressure from minute 1 and was an example of our intensity straight from kick off. There was always a couple of our front men charging down their keeper/CBs. It had them on the backfoot from the word go and made them more liable to make mistakes (like getting a man sent off).

aye in the first half- why did we sit back in the second , so negative when leading against ten men.

aye in the first half- why did we sit back in the second , so negative when leading against ten men.

Probably cos the game was won and we've got about 100,000 miles and two games to cover over the next six days.

Probably cos the game was won and we've got about 100,000 miles and two games to cover over the next six days.

its fair comment, was frustrating to watch tho, we could have handed them thier arses and lifted the whole place- but happy job done.

After Tiote's absolutely bogus red card and Coloccini's which to me wasn't really that clear cut either, I could not give a shit if Wigan are at all miffed about the pen and red card. About time a borderline decision went our way.

this.

and i thought it was stonewall anyway.

I think the way we pressured Wigan high up the pitch came more from the players looking more up for it than anything else, every single player in the first half pressed the ball brilliantly and I think Pardew deserves a lot of credit for seemingly getting them fired up for this one, probably using the good performance against Stoke as the platform to build on.

We need these players to maintain this kind of effort going into Fulham and not become complacent as it would seem that we tend to do, at 2-0 when Wigan were starting to get back into a bit we were trying things that were unnecessary which caused us to lose possession and force mistakes.

Honestly think we'll get a win or at least a convincing draw against Fulham if we put out a similar team and go into the game with the same attitude and fire in our bellies.

The good performance from Anita was absolutely key to the win IMO.

Retrospective would be fair, absolutely despise diving, even from our own.

Agreed, that's one thing about our team though i don't see many divers in the team or maybe i'm blinded by love  :undecided:

I don't think we have anyone who constantly throws themselves on the floor but Jonas does make the most of a foul, I don't mind this so much because he has been fouled but it's still a little cringeworthy to see.

Players like Suarez or Bale who don't even get a touch but are flinging themselves down are the ones who need action taken against them. These incidents need to be looked back on and massive suspensions handed out. Sometimes it's hard to be completely certain but both of those have dived with absolutely no doubt what they were up to this season. They need to be made an example of.

As I said, there's got to be some latitude to apply punishment in addition to the penalty. There's enough officials present to make an informed decision on whether a red is truly warranted.

The one thing players and managers moan about most is consistency and that would throw that out of the window.

True, but let them moan.

Retrospective would be fair, absolutely despise diving, even from our own.

Agreed, that's one thing about our team though i don't see many divers in the team or maybe i'm blinded by love  :undecided:

I don't think we have anyone who constantly throws themselves on the floor but Jonas does make the most of a foul, I don't mind this so much because he has been fouled but it's still a little cringeworthy to see.

Players like Suarez or Bale who don't even get a touch but are flinging themselves down are the ones who need action taken against them. These incidents need to be looked back on and massive suspensions handed out. Sometimes it's hard to be completely certain but both of those have dived with absolutely no doubt what they were up to this season. They need to be made an example of.

:thup:

The red card rule came in because it was felt that a free kick for a foul in a goalscoring position outside the area wasn't sufficient punishment. That's true enough, but there is another possible punishment that they can look at for in that situation - namely a penalty.

That feels like a more appropriate punishment and would at least end the problem of when such a foul is committed inside the box, when it does feel harsh to add a red card as well - often for genuine attempts at getting the ball. The punishment would effectively be the same whether inside or outside the area.

Refs could add a yellow or red card according to their usual judgement as to how bad the foul was.

IIRC it was Keegan who advocated giving the manager or captain of the team that has been awarded the decision the choice to either take a penalty and have the opposition player sent off, or take the goal and allow the man to stay on the pitch. This was for the handball on the line though.

IIRC it was Keegan who advocated giving the manager or captain of the team that has been awarded the decision the choice to either take a penalty and have the opposition player sent off, or take the goal and allow the man to stay on the pitch. This was for the handball on the line though.

:thup:

I wonder what Gyan would want.

Wigan made it easy for us mind with there persistence to fart about at the back with it.

Watched this one on French TV. The French commentators drooled over Marveaux, number one, I mean really drooled and number two, they kept banging on about the fact that - according to them anyway - every single goal we have scored this season has been from a native French speaker!