Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yep, you're right. We've now got our right back, so that means we still need the centre half and, possibly, two forwards. Let's see how it goes? If, as in the summer, there's a week left of the window and we haven't signed anyone, then I'll be worried.

We've had months to come up with a list of players and although we've got plenty of time, other clubs have shown that you don't have to leave your shopping until the last minute.  Liverpool and Chelsea both needed a forward and they've both got them and we could easily have had things sorted long before now as you don't have to wait until the window opens to have your transfers sorted.

I actually do think we'll bring a forward in but we could and should be further through the process than we appear to be and I can understand why some people are nervous.  I'm not too concerned yet that we'll not get at least one forward.  I’m concerned that we might forfeit points while appearing to dither in an attempt to get somebody on the cheap, rather than on time.

It also appears that if we're to bring in a centre half it will be after we have our forward and know how much, if anything, we have left to spend on that position.

Yep, you're right. We've now got our right back, so that means we still need the centre half and, possibly, two forwards. Let's see how it goes? If, as in the summer, there's a week left of the window and we haven't signed anyone, then I'll be worried.

We've had months to come up with a list of players and although we've got plenty of time, other clubs have shown that you don't have to leave your shopping until the last minute.  Liverpool and Chelsea both needed a forward and they've both got them and we could easily have had things sorted long before now as you don't have to wait until the window opens to have your transfers sorted.

I actually do think we'll bring a forward in but we could and should be further through the process than we appear to be and I can understand why some people are nervous.  I'm not too concerned yet that we'll not get at least one forward.  I’m concerned that we might forfeit points while appearing to dither in an attempt to get somebody on the cheap, rather than on time.

It also appears that if we're to bring in a centre half it will be after we have our forward and know how much, if anything, we have left to spend on that position.

Bang on Michael :thup:.

Bang on Michael :thup:.

Two clubs that clearly needed a forward and got them, one is Chelsea with unlimited wealth and the other one has signed Daniel Sturridge.

Every f***ing transfer window is the same with Ashley in charge :lol:

What was the last transfer window you were happy with out of interest?

Depends how you look at it. There have been windows where we've come out stronger than we went in (January 2012 springs to mind with Cisse coming in and no outgoings), but I don't think I've ever felt completely happy with our squad, in the sense that we have genuine competition for places all over the pitch like the (other?) big clubs do.

What I meant though is we always penny pinch, look for bargains rather than focusing on the positions that need strengthening (last summer!), try to unsettle players to force the selling club's hand. We also like to bring in unknown youngsters in the hope they develop well, which in fairness they sometimes do (Krul, Bigi). As fans we always go mad during windows at the apparent lack of progress on our reported targets, but then again we also seem to do a lot of business under the radar too.

As I said earlier, our approach to transfers has its merits and its drawbacks. Personally I think we've done pretty well since Ashley came in with regards to transfer policy on the whole. My main gripe is that there seems to be a lack of understanding of the need to build a squad rather than a first team, which is especially damaging with the additional fixtures in Europe and considering a fair few purples are quite injury prone (Steven Taylor, Hatem?) and our back up players are mostly mediocire at best. You just have to look at the benches we regularly have to put out to see where our primary problem with regards to transfer policy lies.

Two clubs that clearly needed a forward and got them, one is Chelsea with unlimited wealth and the other one has signed Daniel Sturridge.

Both clubs needed a forward, both have them and I'm not sure what "the other one has signed Daniel Sturridge" means, I'll be over the moon if we get somebody in who is as good as he is.

Both clubs needed a forward, both have them and I'm not sure what "the other one has signed Daniel Sturridge" means, I'll be over the moon if we get somebody in who is as good as he is.

We just sold a striker who is much better, yet you weren't that bothered if I remember correctly.. :lol:

When was the last time we had decent enough cover across the whole squad? :lol:

How many clubs can ever really say that though? Honest question.

The ones competing for top honours do. The fact we don't and won't anytime soon tells you the extent of Ashley's ambition for his club, sadly.

Every f***ing transfer window is the same with Ashley in charge :lol:

What was the last transfer window you were happy with out of interest?

Depends how you look at it. There have been windows where we've come out stronger than we went in (January 2012 springs to mind with Cisse coming in and no outgoings), but I don't think I've ever felt completely happy with our squad, in the sense that we have genuine competition for places all over the pitch like the (other?) big clubs do.

What I meant though is we always penny pinch, look for bargains rather than focusing on the positions that need strengthening (last summer!), try to unsettle players to force the selling club's hand. We also like to bring in unknown youngsters in the hope they develop well, which in fairness they sometimes do (Krul, Bigi). As fans we always go mad during windows at the apparent lack of progress on our reported targets, but then again we also seem to do a lot of business under the radar too.

As I said earlier, our approach to transfers has its merits and its drawbacks. Personally I think we've done pretty well since Ashley came in with regards to transfer policy on the whole. My main gripe is that there seems to be a lack of understanding of the need to build a squad rather than a first team, which is especially damaging with the additional fixtures in Europe and considering a fair few purples are quite injury prone (Steven Taylor, Hatem?) and our back up players are mostly mediocire at best. You just have to look at the benches we regularly have to put out to see where our primary problem with regards to transfer policy lies.

:thup:

The ones competing for top honours do. The fact we don't and won't anytime soon tells you the extent of Ashley's ambition for his club, sadly.

Well we're not competing for top honours, I knew that unfortunately.

We just sold a striker who is much better, yet you weren't that bothered if I remember correctly.. :lol:

You don't remember correctly and I think you underrate Sturridge, not that I'm saying that he's better than Ba.  Sturridge has the potential to be an excellent player if he gets the starts through the middle like he did when at Bolton.

I'd be very surprised if supporters of 'the ones competing for top honours' didn't have very similar concerns about their fringe players as we do to be fair.

Guest Roger Kint

How many strikers have Liverpool, Everton & Spurs got? 2 each? Not like even the clubs we are supposed to compete with have much in reserve either. At least we are looking for another this month.

After January window in the Championship was probably the last time we had suitable cover for every position without a drastic drop in quality.

Oh, I know it too. Doesn't mean I will ever accept it. Shepherd was an idiot, but at least he showed some ambition. Imagine what we could do with our current approach to transfers (good scouting, focus on personality, age policy, etc) combined with an owner willing to subsidise the club to a decent extent? If Ashley had kept his early promise of making the club financially stable and additionally putting 20 million per year of his own money into the club (by means of sponsorship or whatever to make it fiscally attractive for him) we would potentially be rubbing shoulders with those competing for top honours now. Well, if he also knew how to find a very good manager too that is.. :lol:

You don't remember correctly and I think you underrate Sturridge, not that I'm saying that he's better than Ba.  Sturridge has the potential to be an excellent player if he gets the starts through the middle like he did when at Bolton.

Fair enough. Apologies.

I reckon the clever money must be on a "Shefti-kuqi" type clogger on loan or short contract if this carries on.

we got lucky with Sibiersky that one window & maybe Ashley sees that as a viable president?

Its all ok waiting to the last hour of the window, gambling on the outcome of the months unsuccesfull bids comming to fruition, but nine (precious)points could well have ben squandered by then. The sad thing is, I can genuinely see 0 points from the next three games a possibility with the personell at his disposal & the current form they`re showing.

I reckon the clever money must be on a "Shefti-kuqi" type clogger on loan or short contract if this carries on.

we got lucky with Sibiersky that one window & maybe Ashley sees that as a viable president?

Its all ok waiting to the last hour of the window, gambling on the outcome of the months unsuccesfull bids comming to fruition, but nine (precious)points could well have ben squandered by then. The sad thing is, I can genuinely see 0 points from the next three games a possibility with the personell at his disposal & the current form they`re showing.

I think we'll get between 3 and 7 points from our next 3 games, Norwich will probably beat us but we could get something from that game, we'll beat Reading and at the minute I can't see Villa beating us and our first away win is a possibility.