Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If this is true, I can only think it's a mixture of missing out on all our other targets

Why would you conclude that, when we scouted and tried to buy Remy in the past? IIRC, he was top of our list when we ended up with Gouffran.

I can't imagine our lot being too impressed with his behaviour and choice in January tbh. If we go back for him I imagine we'd lowball him massively as a result.

not sure about the behaviour but the choice ? I'd imagine the majority of them would have made the same choice he did if the stories of his pay packet are anywhere near true.

Since I don't think any one has posted the article yet:

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-confirms-darren-bent-4888731

Alan Pardew has admitted Darren Bent and Loic Remy are on the shortlist of players to be the two new strikers he wants next season.

But the emphasis will be on quality rather than quantity, with the Newcastle United manager expecting a slimmed-down squad.

Director of football Joe Kinnear has been given the names of “four or five” forwards Pardew and Graham Carr have identified. Managers are usually understandably reluctant to talk about transfer targets, but Pardew confirmed reports of the club’s interest in both are correct.

“We do need two strikers,” he commented. “Last year I didn’t think there was enough competition in that area for a Premier League team.

“Both of those players are on our list. I make no bones about that. They are under contract at other clubs. It’s difficult, you have to be careful.

“It’s nice for our fans to hear names, but I don’t want to disrupt other clubs’ preparations. You have to be careful.

“We have a list of four or five strikers who will push (Papiss) Cisse, Shola (Ameobi), Adam Campbell and (Yohan) Gouffran because that will be important next season.”

The reason, perhaps, that Pardew is prepared to speak so openly about Bent and Remy is their clubs are keen to offload them.

Bent is one of a clutch of senior players sidelined by Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert, and reportedly no longer training with the first team.

Villa are thought to have reduced their asking price for the 29-year-old to £6m – about a third of what they paid Sunderland for him in 2011 – in an attempt to get one of their highest earners off their wage bill.

Having been relegated to the Championship in the summer, Queens Park Rangers are in a similar position with Remy. The Frenchman joined them in preference to Newcastle in January.

But without the ridiculous demands of Europa League football to contend with, Pardew expects his squad to be

smaller next term. “James Perch, who’s been a brilliant servant for us, has left (for Wigan Athletic),” he noted.

“It comes to a point where some players want to play every week and Perchy was one of those.

“I couldn’t guarantee that to him. We could cope with him leaving and I think there’ll be one or two others as well who are in that position where they need to go and play now. Dan Gosling springs to mind.

“I think there will be one or two that will leave the club who I don’t necessarily think we need to replace.

“But we’ve got weaknesses in the squad that I think we do (need to address).”

Ameobi could be another, although the striker’s position is far from clear after Pardew hinted at the end of last season he may ask to leave.

“He’s got a year left on his contract so we’re in a position where he could stay for the year and look for a new contract here or he could look elsewhere,” he explained.

“I’m open-minded about that but at the minute I’m not because I don’t have enough strikers.

“His position will be determined by the transfers that come in.”

Like Ameobi, Remy – and to a much greater extent – Bent have a quality Pardew is keen too add this season, namely Premier League experience. Pardew worked with Bent with Charlton Athletic when they were in the top flight and has remained a great admirer since.

“I still maintan what I said last year, that the team lacks a little bit of experience,” he said.

“With it being a World Cup year (in 2014) I think we’ve got 10, 12 players with a chance of going to the World Cup so it’s a big, big year for them and it’s a big season for Newcastle. I think we’ve got a great squad as it is but it does need strengthening, especially in the striker department.”

'Expecting a slimmed down squad'

:serious:

that means you hatem.

Hate is such a strong word...

not when spelled out with alphabetti spaghetti.

anyhoo, I really like remy's style of play and think that type of forward is exactly what we are missing, mfor me that type of player is the missing link, the forward who can drop wide, play off a goalscorer and still looks to get on the end of things. I don't care he turned us down before for mega bucks as most in the same situation would've done so. the rape charge however is a different kettle of haddock and I can't really say that I'd want him here till he was cleared.

The fact that NUFC now have to target a player who has already rejected them for a club now relegated and who faces a serious criminal charge which could side-line him for a couple of seasons shows how far the club has fallen.

Just accepting the scraps now - the player is just using the club as a lifeboat.

That or it shows how highly they rate the player that they still want to pursue him.

You pays your money and takes your choice - or not, maybe....

that means you hatem.

Hate is such a strong word...

not when spelled out with alphabetti spaghetti.

anyhoo, I really like remy's style of play and think that type of forward is exactly what we are missing, mfor me that type of player is the missing link, the forward who can drop wide, play off a goalscorer and still looks to get on the end of things. I don't care he turned us down before for mega bucks as most in the same situation would've done so. the rape charge however is a different kettle of haddock and I can't really say that I'd want him here till he was cleared.

:thup:

I do think we'll offer less money than January though. We're all about opportunism.

Guest Phil K

I'm not worried about Taylor either. I don't see him as better than Williamson.

Wait, what!?

:lol:

http://i.qkme.me/3us0ak.jpg

Superb. Reflects my own view (and facial expression !) on this deal

I can't imagine our lot being too impressed with his behaviour and choice in January tbh. If we go back for him I imagine we'd lowball him massively as a result.

not sure about the behaviour but the choice ? I'd imagine the majority of them would have made the same choice he did if the stories of his pay packet are anywhere near true.

this 100%

He's available by all accounts at a cut price. Really dont think Ashley will give one iota about what he did in January.

hope he has not raped anyone and we sign him. He is what we need - dangerous and fast operating on the LW.

How will the competition for his signature be, any idea? Hopefully spurs will stay away...

Get Remy in and also Bent and lets have some form of competition for places up front for once, not just fucking Shola.

If we got them two in plus Scott Sinclair i'd be immensely satisfied.

No chance of us signing that lot.

Its more likely that Sinclair is considered another forward option, perhaps to play on the left of a front three.

Remy and Sinclair and leave Bent alone IMO. Doesn't seem likely mind.

true. but still, they should both be "cheap". One had a quiet season and one got relegated. Remy can play on top as well and partner cisse if needed. Guess sinclair could as well.

Both flanks and striker position sorted with loads of alternatives - and competition for once.

Ryan to replace Remy in the Championship on their wing.

Aye, similar players tbh.

They are if you used to listen to the Three Legends. I'm sure Malcolm McDonald said something about 'get Ryan Taylor on the wing, running at fullbacks'.

I'm guessing what he means by that is by getting rid of some of the deadwood and bring in 3 quality players.

So technically we would have a smaller squad but a much stronger one.

Our problem last season squad wise isn't numbers but a lack of quality in certain areas.