Man United 4 - 3 Newcastle United - 26/12/12 - post-match sobfest from page 50

Dave

Guest icemanblue

As a general point (again without having seen the game) I'm not sure I'd be swelling with pride over a good performance with no points today, which is a bit of a change of tune for me. (don't know if any on here, or elsewhere, are btw).

I think it's often easier to be valiant losers against a big side than convincing winners against minnows/those around you. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we didn't get tonked etc, but 'brave losers' is not a good end-aspiration!

Felt the same about the Man City game. Difficult to see if we've really started to turn a corner until we get some less insane fixtures.

When we begin to convert home against the likes of West Ham and Swansea into wins, I'll feel much happier. The QPR game was a start - even if it was a bit more of a meandering struggle than it ought to have been.

From a few of the posts on here I've read it seems like we did okay today though, which is nice ( - albeit in a hollow sort of way!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tying yourself in knots, so as not to appear remotely positive.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1596864_sir-alex-ferguson-defends-ref-blast-after-manchester-united-win-thriller-against-newcastle

Sir Alex Ferguson defended his decision to give referee Mike Dean a half-time blast of his hairdryer before Manchester United sealed another famous comeback win.

Javier Hernandez's last-minute winner against Newcastle at Old Trafford gave United a 4-3 triumph from a game when they had trailed three times, and took them seven points clear of Manchester City.

But an incident-packed afternoon had one of its most notable moments as the teams came out for the second-half.

Ferguson first rounded on Dean, then fourth official Neil Swarbrick before finally launching into assistant referee Jake Collin over Newcastle's second, an own-goal from Jonny Evans, which he was convinced should not have been allowed to stand.

"The referee changed the linesman's mind," said Ferguson after Collin had flagged for offside against Papiss Cisse, only to get over-ruled after Evans turned home Danny Simpson's cross.

"He said it was an own goal. But if you see it again, and the referee can't, the guy is in an offside position, then he pulls Evans' arm.

"If that is not interfering what is?

"I think it was a bad decision."

Yet former World Cup official Graham Poll had already taken to Twitter to insist Dean was correct, as Newcastle chief Alan Pardew also felt.

"At the time I thought it was an own goal," Pardew said.

"It doesn't matter who is offside, he could be 20 yards offside if the defender sticks it in.

"I don't know if the striker got a touch before the defender but I don't think so. I can't see a problem with it."

The Premier League also confirmed that "as Cisse did not play the ball, then he was not interfering with play".

They also stated that: "It is also the case that Cisse didn't interfere with the opponent."

It is now down to Dean to decide whether Ferguson overstepped the mark with his protestations, although he did have the option of sending the United boss to the stand, which he declined to do.

There was further controversy in stoppage time too, when Antonio Valencia slid in on Vernon Anita, leaving the Newcastle man needing to be stretchered off with an injured ankle.

Three times Newcastle led, through James Perch, Evans and Cisse, only for Evans - becoming the third player this season to score at both ends - Patrice Evra and Robin van Persie, with his 16th goal of the season, to respond.

Further chances came and went in a thrill-a-minute game.

Hernandez struck in the dying seconds to ensure United will be top on New Years' Day no matter what the outcome of matches against West Brom and Wigan.

"I wish it was the last game of the season," said Ferguson.

"It tells you about the courage of our team though.

"We had a lot of bad decisions against us in the first-half.

"That could have demoralised the team. But they didn't give in. That is the great quality they have.

"We were down three times and came back three times, then we scored the winner.

"It is a really significant result for us. It puts us in a good position.

"But as I always say about December, it is a month that tells you everything. Hopefully when we come to January 1, after that game at Wigan, we are still top of the league."

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/manchester_united/s/1596864_sir-alex-ferguson-defends-ref-blast-after-manchester-united-win-thriller-against-newcastle

Sir Alex Ferguson defended his decision to give referee Mike Dean a half-time blast of his hairdryer before Manchester United sealed another famous comeback win.

Javier Hernandez's last-minute winner against Newcastle at Old Trafford gave United a 4-3 triumph from a game when they had trailed three times, and took them seven points clear of Manchester City.

But an incident-packed afternoon had one of its most notable moments as the teams came out for the second-half.

Ferguson first rounded on Dean, then fourth official Neil Swarbrick before finally launching into assistant referee Jake Collin over Newcastle's second, an own-goal from Jonny Evans, which he was convinced should not have been allowed to stand.

"The referee changed the linesman's mind," said Ferguson after Collin had flagged for offside against Papiss Cisse, only to get over-ruled after Evans turned home Danny Simpson's cross.

"He said it was an own goal. But if you see it again, and the referee can't, the guy is in an offside position, then he pulls Evans' arm.

"If that is not interfering what is?

"I think it was a bad decision."

Yet former World Cup official Graham Poll had already taken to Twitter to insist Dean was correct, as Newcastle chief Alan Pardew also felt.

"At the time I thought it was an own goal," Pardew said.

"It doesn't matter who is offside, he could be 20 yards offside if the defender sticks it in.

"I don't know if the striker got a touch before the defender but I don't think so. I can't see a problem with it."

The Premier League also confirmed that "as Cisse did not play the ball, then he was not interfering with play".

They also stated that: "It is also the case that Cisse didn't interfere with the opponent."

It is now down to Dean to decide whether Ferguson overstepped the mark with his protestations, although he did have the option of sending the United boss to the stand, which he declined to do.

There was further controversy in stoppage time too, when Antonio Valencia slid in on Vernon Anita, leaving the Newcastle man needing to be stretchered off with an injured ankle.

Three times Newcastle led, through James Perch, Evans and Cisse, only for Evans - becoming the third player this season to score at both ends - Patrice Evra and Robin van Persie, with his 16th goal of the season, to respond.

Further chances came and went in a thrill-a-minute game.

Hernandez struck in the dying seconds to ensure United will be top on New Years' Day no matter what the outcome of matches against West Brom and Wigan.

"I wish it was the last game of the season," said Ferguson.

"It tells you about the courage of our team though.

"We had a lot of bad decisions against us in the first-half.

"That could have demoralised the team. But they didn't give in. That is the great quality they have.

"We were down three times and came back three times, then we scored the winner.

"It is a really significant result for us. It puts us in a good position.

"But as I always say about December, it is a month that tells you everything. Hopefully when we come to January 1, after that game at Wigan, we are still top of the league."

The Premier League and Graham Poll are a fucking disgrace for even suggesting that Ferguson was wrong. How fucking dare they.

It's been 3 hours and 45 minutes since the final whistle and I'm still gutted by the result.

That was the best we've played for 90 minutes in a long time. The spirit, attacking intent, possession play - they were all there but we were unfortunately let down by silly defensive mistakes. We definitely didn't deserve to lose that (as was the case with the City game too). Somehow though, the universe always favours the big sides to go that extra mile - we did ride our luck a few times at 3-3 so the score could have very well been higher than what it finished as. Think I hate Van Persie even more after today, really wish someone would give him his just desserts - definitely deserves some sort of beating.

All in all though, I am proud of that performance and we just have to focus on the positives (there were a quite a few of them). Today's performance does give us a further platform to build on - we have seen quite a bit of improvement these last few weeks so we're slowly getting to where we want to be imo. Got to say that I am now more optimistic of our chances against Arsenal - play like we did today and we'll give Arsenal a good game.

Man, this defeat hurts like f***ing hell, I was surrounded my Man Utd fans as well during it, but am I coming on here acting like a baby? No. I know Froggy personally and he is one of the most level headed Man Utd fans you could meet, trust me I've seen the worst of the worst. People are slating him on here because we're just on the end of bad defeat. Froggy has s*** loads of posts on here and has been on here for ages, why complain now?

I'm not from Newcastle, I could have supported a team in League Two but I'm supporting a Premier League team, I guess I'm not a real fan now too in the eyes of Billy I should just f*** off as well.

People need to get a grip, seriously. Man Utd has an army of glory hunting c***s, but that doesn't make them all like that, if it does then what about me, Kaizero, Oldtype etc? Are we fine because Newcastle don't win anything? What happens if Newcastle suddenly become extremely successful, does our status as supporters change because we aren't local?

It's Boxing Day, go out and have a few beers and forget about this result until tomorrow when you calm down.

What a load of s****. He supports Manchester United because they are table toppers. Glory hunters do. Or Liverpool. Or any other parennial title winners over the years. That's why I enjoy our Northern/Southern Irish/ around the World support. Because they're not doing it for the glory, the off hand snidey remarks they can belittle other football fans with, they're doing it to be real fans...fans who experience pain. When I say pain, I don't mean not winning a trophy for a year or two, or even losing one in the last minute to your nearest rivals. Though that would obviously hurt. I mean going years without even looking like winning anything, even getting relegated a few times as we have.

So when we do eventually win something, it will mean something, because we are a proper club with proper supporters, not a club or fans who believe we have a God given right to success, as we obviously don't. I honestly do not understand the mentality of glory hunting...maybe supporting Manchester United/ Chelsea/Liverpool in the 80's helps to provide a fake popularity amongst peers?

I don't know why Froggy supports ManU (I'd always assumed he was from Manchester) so I'm not judging him. But why anyone would choose to support him totally bewilders me. How hollow it must be to see a team win that you chose because they're good. What's the point? I may as well have decided I was a ManU fan in the 90th minute as half the people in that stadium celebrating. But I actually feel a bit bad for proper ManU fans too, winning a trophy is inevitably such a relatively insignificant experience for them. I'm not saying I'm glad I've NEVER seen us win one, but to be like those lot, like Arsenal fans considering it a failing to have not won one for 6 years. What we'll get, or man city fans did for the first one (they'll no doubt feel accustomed and entitled very soon) must be on a totally different level. Sorry for being a self-righteous twat.

I don't take much at all from this game, to be honest. I think we're continuing to improve slightly but we're learning nothing new about this lot.

The stars aligned for us today with their defence and keeper all over the shop and us getting lucky with the absence to an extent of the useless Gutierrez and utter liability that is Tiote. Man U let you play football and today we had more footballers in the side than we've had in a long, long time - and it showed from the first whistle.

Just so sad that the same rubbish have treaded water for so long and continue to hold us back. If I played alongside Simpson with his constant shitness, headshaking and muttering under his breath I'd have put him in intensive care 6 times this season. I don't know how Colo keeps his cool, I sincerely don't. Wouldn't blame him one bit if he handed in a transfer request on Feb 1st when Simpson isn't replaced for the 7th consecutive window.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121226/boss-gutted-by-old-trafford-tragedy_2281670_3019412

Alan Pardew could not hide his disappointment after watching his Newcastle United side suffer a last-gasp 4-3 defeat away at Manchester United on Boxing Day.

The Magpies led three times at Old Trafford - through James Perch, a Jonny Evans own goal and Papiss Cisse - but were pegged back on each occasion and eventually Javier Hernandez bagged the winner with just seconds remaining.

It was tough to take on Newcastle, who had been outstanding throughout a rollercoaster afternoon of action, but as he prepared to travel back to Tyneside empty-handed, that was little consolation to the manager.

"You couldn't fault our ambition or effort, but two soft goals have cost us today," Pardew told nufcTV.

"We should win this game, I keep saying that and it isn't good enough, so therefore I'm not pleased in any manner if I'm honest. I'm as disappointed as I've been as a manager.

"We've got so many regrets from the game and that is something you don't want to come away from a football match with.

"Unfortunately if our players were a little bit better in different areas then we would have got something, for sure.

"We were desperate to show our fans - who were brilliant - that we have great resolve and resilience in the team.

"But we are really disappointed with the last couple of goals. We should have done a lot better with those."

Wonder which way he means that.

Sick of "taking positives" from defeats like, especially when the f***ing mackems are beating Man City after the many positives we took from them rolling us over at home.

It's the only thing that's keeping me sane atm :sad:

Sick of "taking positives" from defeats like, especially when the fucking mackems are beating Man City after the many positives we took from them rolling us over at home.

Reminds me of an Everton side of yesteryear (or at least my impression of them) - a frustrated Everton who used to really challenge the top six sides and give them a good game, with a good performance, but ultimately get edged out by the odd goal.

After that you'd think "well, if they can carry that kind of fight and performance into the games against non-top six sides they'll be just fine" - then they'd lose at home to Wigan or something.

Sick of "taking positives" from defeats like, especially when the fucking mackems are beating Man City after the many positives we took from them rolling us over at home.

:thup:

I'll take positives when we win.

Bit strong to say this is as disappointed as he's ever been as a manager, surely. What about when he lost the FA Cup final?

Maybe he's forgotten all about that. Or maybe he felt reaching a major final with such a shit team was the main achievement?:dontknow:

Guest neesy111

I'm like that now.  5 defeats in a row away from home, still no away win this season.  These stats have to change.

Sick of "taking positives" from defeats like, especially when the f***ing mackems are beating Man City after the many positives we took from them rolling us over at home.

I know but I can take positives from a defeat that nearly wasn't, in a game we led 3 times and I thought we had no chance whatsoever. I'm not taking positives from this season as a whole but I think we've done as well points wise and shown more than youd expect from the last 2 games.  I can't not be positive about losing 4-3 in a game I thought was a guaranteed match of despair and damage limitation.

This is a great point actually. Pardew has been taking positives from games for weeks now but hasn't been delivering results. I get the impression losing at home to Man City is a case of "it's City, they won't all be like that" with the club and fans, but there you go, the mackems beat them.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121226/boss-gutted-by-old-trafford-tragedy_2281670_3019412

Alan Pardew could not hide his disappointment after watching his Newcastle United side suffer a last-gasp 4-3 defeat away at Manchester United on Boxing Day.

The Magpies led three times at Old Trafford - through James Perch, a Jonny Evans own goal and Papiss Cisse - but were pegged back on each occasion and eventually Javier Hernandez bagged the winner with just seconds remaining.

It was tough to take on Newcastle, who had been outstanding throughout a rollercoaster afternoon of action, but as he prepared to travel back to Tyneside empty-handed, that was little consolation to the manager.

"You couldn't fault our ambition or effort, but two soft goals have cost us today," Pardew told nufcTV.

"We should win this game, I keep saying that and it isn't good enough, so therefore I'm not pleased in any manner if I'm honest. I'm as disappointed as I've been as a manager.

"We've got so many regrets from the game and that is something you don't want to come away from a football match with.

"Unfortunately if our players were a little bit better in different areas then we would have got something, for sure.

"We were desperate to show our fans - who were brilliant - that we have great resolve and resilience in the team.

"But we are really disappointed with the last couple of goals. We should have done a lot better with those."

Wonder which way he means that.

What do you think, man? Our defending, of course.

I'm more irritated by this quote -"You couldn't fault our ambition..."

:hmm: What, Pards? Are you admitting that we were a bunch of negative bastards in the our previous matches? I wonder who's fucking to blame!

I rarely watch MOTD when we get beat, but i may watch it tonight with empty hope that they will praise our performance and effort, even though i know in the back of my mind it will be another Man u wankfest, and all footage of Fergie kicking off will be ignored  :rant: