Moussa Sissoko

Skeletor
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A) Tiote averages a 90% pass completion rate. B) Tiote has the highest pass completion rate of any of our players. C) Having a high pass completion rate doesn't really matter. D) Especially if it's the DM in a passing side, he gets the ball the most. E) Having a low pass completion rate is very worrying though.

A) He doesn't, although he got pretty close in his first season.

B) He doesn't. He was 11th/9th/4th overall last three seasons, or 6th/6th/2nd if you just want to consider players involved in 20+ games.

C) Questionable, especially if you're in a team or position that revolves around keeping the ball. Depends on the context, of course.

D) Surely that's an absolutely key function of a defensive midfielder in a passing side?

E) 1/5 ain't bad.

That was retarded, made up statistic of why Bigi is a sprinkler. Who am I?

You were closer than Dropout, to be fair. Bigi made 87.2% of his passes in the league last season.

When Tiote joined, I questioned his passing after only a few games and said I was concerned by it. I remember being utterly lambasted by every single person in the Tiote thread when I said this.

You may all now commence your grovelling apologies.

Ta.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Passing isn't his greatest ability but his pace and strength can be lethal if used well. For e.g if we decide to be a counterattacking team like Villa we can replace Jonas by a sprinter (Ince? ) and play Gouffran just in behind Cisse. Or if he's playing as a number 10, he has to use his strength better to shield the ball and link up with wingers (not Jonas obviously  :lol:). But I think that by just playing Ben Arfa in the middle will bring out the best in him when he sprints from his own half.

A) Tiote averages a 90% pass completion rate. B) Tiote has the highest pass completion rate of any of our players. C) Having a high pass completion rate doesn't really matter. D) Especially if it's the DM in a passing side, he gets the ball the most. E) Having a low pass completion rate is very worrying though.

B) He doesn't. He was 11th/9th/4th overall last three seasons, or 6th/6th/2nd if you just want to consider players involved in 20+ games.

C) Questionable, especially if you're in a team or position that revolves around keeping the ball. Depends on the context, of course.

D) Surely that's an absolutely key function of a defensive midfielder in a passing side?

E) 1/5 ain't bad.

90% was generous. In his last 4 of his last 5 games last season he had a pass completion rate of 84-87%. Although in the other game it was 67% which is terrible. I didn't look but i'm certain that's higher than any of the other midfielders in our side except perhaps Jonas.

I saw a stat somewhere that said he had the highest pass completion for us. I'd like to see evidence to the contrary.

C-D is the same point. If you're the deepest midfielder of a 3 and your job is to keep it simple, you'll have a fairly high pass completion rate. Tiote manages pass completion higher than most of our players and he's not one of the better passers in our side. I'm certain Arteta has a higher pass completion rate than Pirlo but Arteta keeps it very, very simple. At 85% and above I doubt the incremental value of a higher pass completion rate visa other factors.

E) 1/5 ain't bad.

90% was generous. In his last 4 of his last 5 games last season he had a pass completion rate of 84-87%. Although in the other game it was 67% which is terrible. I didn't look but i'm certain that's higher than any of the other midfielders in our side except perhaps Jonas.

I saw a stat somewhere that said he had the highest pass completion for us. I'd like to see evidence to the contrary.

C-D is the same point. If you're the deepest midfielder of a 3 and your job is to keep it simple, you'll have a fairly high pass completion rate. Tiote manages pass completion higher than most of our players and he's not one of the better passers in our side. I'm certain Arteta has a higher pass completion rate than Pirlo but Arteta keeps it very, very simple. At 85% and above I doubt the incremental value of a higher pass completion rate visa other factors.

12/13

11/12

10/11

In terms of the closing games of last season you were spot-on with the percentages, but not at all with how it compared to others:

Pass percentage versus Arsenal was behind that of every other midfielder who played bar Jonas: Here

Pass percentage versus QPR behind every other midfielder: Here

Pass percentage versus West Ham behind that of Gouffran and Ben Arfa: Here

Pass percentage versus Liverpool behind that of Anita, Perch, Ben Arfa and Cabaye: Here

Pass percentage versus Sunderland behind that of Ben Arfa and Marveaux: Here

Interestingly, Jonas never had a better pass completion than Tiote in that period. :dontknow:

Touche you are indeed correct.

I believe the stat I read about pass completion may have been the total most successful passes now.

Interestingly, Tiote had a higher pass completion  than any of the Arsenal midfielders including Ramsey and Arteta. Point is, pass completion can be a little misleading.

Gouffran and Ben Arfa made a total of 34 passes in the WHU game. Tiote made over 50. That's rather harsh on him imo.

His pass completion rate was higher than all the CM's except for Bigi (top lad) and................ Danny Gosling. Oh and Marveaux if you count him as a CM. I do love Marv's ability to keep possession and with his assists - he knows when to look for the killer ball.

I'm just saying, for someone so s**** on the ball, Tiote's pass completion is decent. And it's miles better than Sissoko's who imo has a similar passing range.For all the hype about Anita, his pass completion stats are pretty poor considering what he does with the ball.

I'm just saying, for someone so s**** on the ball, Tiote's pass completion is decent.

And it's miles better than Sissoko's who imo has a similar passing range.

Tiote's pass completion rate remains "OK" as a percentage because he hardly ever attempts to pass the ball more than 10 yards. However even working within these very stringent limitations, he often still has a worse pass percentage than others who try far more ambitious and attacking passes.

When Tiote's passes go astray, it's a pass that offered virtually zero reward and has high risk because the opposition are getting posession right in the middle of the park.

When other CMs / DMs passes go astray, it's more likely to be a penetrating pass that offers a high reward if successful, but only gives the ball to the opposition defence or goalkeeper if it fails.

Sissoko is a poor comparison to Tiote. Yes, Sissoko isn't the best passer in the world but he gets lumped on the wing and wingers will invariably lose posession far more than a good DM because they're tasked explicitly with trying to create for the forwards. DMs should look to retain posession, wingers should look to create opportunities.

Last season...

Tiote: 24 games, 84% pass completion, 67.8% forward passes, 21 m. avg. pass length, 17 chances created, 5 avg. defensive actions, 4 avg. defensive errors, 7 yellow, 1 red

Anita: 25 games, 83% pass completion, 64.1% forward passes, 20 m. avg. pass length, 34 chances created, 2 avg. defensive actions, 1 avg. defensive errors, 2 yellow, 1 red

http://www.squawka.com/players/vurnon-anita#performance-score#newcastle-united-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2012/2013#2#all-matches#1-38#by-match

So Anita offers more offensive opportunity and tidier, but less biting, defense.

Tiote is on the ball far too often, while its true most of his passes find their mark problem is he gives it away close to our penalty box every game so it becomes a problem.

Especially when he doesn't really get the team moving forward, for a player in that position that gets so much possession he needs to be moving the team forward.

Cabaye would be good at this but we still need a winger and attacking midfielder on top of it.