Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

We've already heard the board say we don't do bidding wars and we won't deal with complicating transfers with multiple agents etc. those are deals that require brainwork no? I mean im putting 2 and 2 together, but that clearly seems to be the case with many of our recent targets, if the rumors are to be believed.

except we did up our bid for de jong and we did deal with ba's multiple agents.

what you have to remember is that we know very little of what goes on.

I know and you're right too.

I'm going to add that transactions are my trade. I work in acquisitions, so this process does intrigue me.

If you can't secure exclusivity In a deal, then a deal can collapse or the bogey price could move at any time. So fine, if in football that's not possible to secure exclusivity or whatever, then deal makers need to be aware of the volatility, which ours are aware of. So If we can't get our heads wrapped around that fact, and it pisses us off to the point we hold on our terms - then we won't sign the players we target unless the seller, the player, and his reps don't have other motives (in terms of fee, terms and other clauses). One of those parties can make the deal complicating, and as it stands we don't prefer to do those nor do we like to do them. Are the Club's deal makers wrong? I don't fucking know, but I'll point at the results from summer and January so far, and we've not signed the players we need.

Good post.

Retracted our 2.5m bid? No such thing as a CA on these deals anymore? Am I missing something? Surely if a club bids for someone, its accepted. It should be done in good faith to let the club work the deal out? This nonsense is the complete opposite of actual business transactions too by the way. f***ing frustrating.

Right on. :thup: We need to add a no shop provision to our bids.

Yep. Exclusivity would be helpful to us. I think it's nonsense that our bids are getting highjacked or shopped to other clubs after we get them accepted.

Really poor on seller if that's true.

Our policy of backing down in "auctions" doesn't help either. We don't even low ball bid and increase to our "ceiling" it seems. We just offer what we can pay max, say to the seller take it or leave it,  fuck off if the deal requires any brain work. Obviously these deals aren't going to be clear, cut and dry anymore. We aren't even adapting to these  changing conditions either ffs.

Would it be better to stealth with multiple offers for different players?

Love the evolving thread titles when something goes tits up.  As was said above, you can't make this shit up.  :lol:

But it still sometimes feels like we actually follow a fictitious club and NUFC is some kind of TV/internet sitcom.  'You won't believe what happens next!'

Fat Sam is an absolute melon headed dufus.

Jumped on the Maiga bandwagon, but has no clue how to use the guy whatsoever.

Don't ruin this guys career as well with your rudimentary crap football you moose face.

Retracted our 2.5m bid? No such thing as a CA on these deals anymore? Am I missing something? Surely if a club bids for someone, its accepted. It should be done in good faith to let the club work the deal out? This nonsense is the complete opposite of actual business transactions too by the way. f***ing frustrating.

Yep. Exclusivity would be helpful to us. I think it's nonsense that our bids are getting highjacked or shopped to other clubs after we get them accepted.

Our policy of backing down in "auctions" doesn't help either. We don't even low ball bid and increase to our "ceiling" it seems. We just offer what we can pay max, say to the seller take it or leave it,  f*** off if the deal requires any brain work. Obviously these deals aren't going to be clear, cut and dry anymore. We aren't even adapting to these  changing conditions either ffs.

Obviously not versed in footbal transactions, but I'd think that would be a way around it.

Having a better relationship with the selling club would be helpful too. A pissed off seller isn't going to help us out at all.  We've been on the fortunate end of getting quiet deals done during the Ba/Cabaye/Marv summer, but now the selling clubs and player reps have caught on to us. We've GOT to adapt our policy or we will see more and more of this. Everyone knows we are cheap and won't move our bids up much (ie like Madras said, De Jong, Ba etc) so if they get wind we won't up our bid, then your West Ham's of the world will up their bid by 500k and if the player isn't totally in love with joining us, then we'll lose out.

Again, I'm only trying to apply what I've done in my own career in transactions for my company and take some of those elements and apply them to football. I know we've not a clue what is going on with the deals, but we have quite a strict wage policy and valuation policy that has gotten us this far, but it sure could use some tinkering.

Our policy of backing down in "auctions" doesn't help either. We don't even low ball bid and increase to our "ceiling" it seems. We just offer what we can pay max, say to the seller take it or leave it,  f*** off if the deal requires any brain work. Obviously these deals aren't going to be clear, cut and dry anymore. We aren't even adapting to these  changing conditions either ffs.

Obviously not versed in footbal transactions, but I'd think that would be a way around it.

Having a better relationship with the selling club would be helpful too. A pissed off seller isn't going to help us out at all.  We've been on the fortunate end of getting quiet deals done during the Ba/Cabaye/Marv summer, but now the selling clubs and player reps have caught on to us. We've GOT to adapt our policy or we will see more and more of this. Everyone knows we are cheap and won't move our bids up much (ie like Madras said, De Jong, Ba etc) so if they get wind we won't up our bid, then your West Ham's of the world will up their bid by 500k and if the player isn't totally in love with joining us, then we'll lose out.

Again, I'm only trying to apply what I've done in my own career in transactions for my company and take some of those elements and apply them to football. I know we've not a clue what is going on with the deals, but we have quite a strict wage policy and valuation policy that has gotten us this far, but it sure could use some tinkering.

Thanks for the considered reply.

Don't worry too much Ashley and lambyarse are clueless about football anyway. They've got lucky with a couple of deals and thought it would just continue like that (low-tight bidding). The competition have adapted and have our deals on their radar what with our recent scouting prowess. Either we go for exclusivity in the first phase (no leaking or some kind of penalty clause) or we tie up deals in 24hrs (give selling club a short deadline).

Having a better relationship with the selling club would be helpful too. A p*ssed off seller isn't going to help us out at all.  We've been on the fortunate end of getting quiet deals done during the Ba/Cabaye/Marv summer, but now the selling clubs and player reps have caught on to us. We've GOT to adapt our policy or we will see more and more of this. Everyone knows we are cheap and won't move our bids up much (ie like Madras said, De Jong, Ba etc) so if they get wind we won't up our bid, then your West Ham's of the world will up their bid by 500k and if the player isn't totally in love with joining us, then we'll lose out.

Don't worry too much Ashley and lambyarse are clueless about football anyway. They've got lucky with a couple of deals and thought it would just continue like that (low-tight bidding). The competition have adapted and have our deals on their radar what with our recent scouting prowess. Either we go for exclusivity in the first phase (no leaking or some kind of penalty clause) or we tie up deals in 24hrs (give selling club a short deadline).

why would the selling club go with an exclusivity dealand what agent is going to dash into a deral if he thinks he can drum up intrest from elsewhere ?

Having a better relationship with the selling club would be helpful too. A p*ssed off seller isn't going to help us out at all.  We've been on the fortunate end of getting quiet deals done during the Ba/Cabaye/Marv summer, but now the selling clubs and player reps have caught on to us. We've GOT to adapt our policy or we will see more and more of this. Everyone knows we are cheap and won't move our bids up much (ie like Madras said, De Jong, Ba etc) so if they get wind we won't up our bid, then your West Ham's of the world will up their bid by 500k and if the player isn't totally in love with joining us, then we'll lose out.

why would the selling club go with an exclusivity dealand what agent is going to dash into a deral if he thinks he can drum up intrest from elsewhere ?

Why have they done so before?

have they ? never heard of it, thats not to say they haven't. what would they have to gain ?

Guest malandro

Didn't we agree a fee for Dyer ( to west ham) and then up it by a million?

It was also reported we did the same when selling Carroll.

have they ? never heard of it, thats not to say they haven't. what would they have to gain ?

Well how else have we done these signings 'out of the blue' that some are clinging to right now? Cisse springs to mind. £9m, a free-scoring striker and it was a done deal within three hours of it being known he were even in talks to sign him. Why wasn't he touted around for weeks?

Well how else have we done these signings 'out of the blue' that some are clinging to right now? Cisse springs to mind. £9m, a free-scoring striker and it was a done deal within three hours of it being known he were even in talks to sign him. Why wasn't he touted around for weeks?

may be the clue to it.

because it isn't in the press doesn't mean players aren't being touted, agents trying to do deals etc.

This is what I've been aluding to. Thanks for that. How did we do these deals so smoothly? Assume he had 1 agent, he was keen, the club were happy to do business and not drive up price and it was done and dusted. Had we failed to agree on something, sure his agent & club could go and find a new buyer or go to the next highest interested party.

All I know is the whole football transfer business seems shady as all get out. :lol:

Yep. That's why this is frustrating to me. Not having exclusivity to negotiate a terms of a contract that is accepted by the buyer makes these deals fucking impossible to get done if we have a policy of minimal negotiation/bend on fee and not wanting to get involved in transfers involving multiple middle-men & agents.

And if getting exclusivity is not something that is normal in football transactions (its very, very normal in real estate transactions) then we clearly need to reassess our transfer policy if these sort of things are going to happen more and more.

Pardew believes it being in the media alerts other clubs.

do you or do you think agents are contacting other agents and clubs in the hope of getting a better deal ?

I don't doubt that goes on all the time. I just can perfectly believe that we have insisted on clubs and agents keeping their gobs shut on deals. I can't see how else they would be kept quiet so effectively when there are so many avenues for news to be leaked these days.

We seem to be doing particularly shite at this recently like.

Pardew believes it being in the media alerts other clubs.

do you or do you think agents are contacting other agents and clubs in the hope of getting a better deal ?

I don't doubt that goes on all the time. I just can perfectly believe that we have insisted on clubs and agents keeping their gobs shut on deals. I can't see how else they would be kept quiet so effectively when there are so many avenues for news to be leaked these days.

We seem to be doing particularly s**** at this recently like.

all those leaks etc are to the press though. i'd be surprised if the vast majority of the agents stuff was well away from the press and better for the player (the client) if it's done that way.

it's funny reading managers memoirs and you realise what doesn't reach the press, it's always happened , george graham was here as a player and very nearly signed as was ian st john, both just before they made it big.

Guest expat in the pool

didn't we do a similar thing with marveaux, liverpool thought they had him, he and his reps weren't totally happy with offer and tested the water and we made a better offer

this shit goes on all the time we can be easily outbid and the lure of london for a foreigner is hard to ignore especially with a get out clause and another potential tranfer fee if relegation happens

that is what agents are paid for  wise up everyone