Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

didn't we do a similar thing with marveaux, liverpool thought they had him, he and his reps weren't totally happy with offer and tested the water and we made a better offer

this shit goes on all the time we can be easily outbid and the lure of london for a foreigner is hard to ignore especially with a get out clause and another potential tranfer fee if relegation happens

that is what agents are paid for  wise up everyone

There was a problem with his medical iirc and Liv weren't so keen to really test anyones resolve.

didn't we do a similar thing with marveaux, liverpool thought they had him, he and his reps weren't totally happy with offer and tested the water and we made a better offer

this s*** goes on all the time we can be easily outbid and the lure of london for a foreigner is hard to ignore especially with a get out clause and another potential tranfer fee if relegation happens

There was a problem with his medical iirc and Liv weren't so keen to really test anyones resolve.

liverpool tried to say their was a problem with the medical, maybe to try and get a better deal. they were blown out of the water by the man who conducted the medical iirc.

Guest expat in the pool

this s*** goes on all the time we can be easily outbid and the lure of london for a foreigner is hard to ignore especially with a get out clause and another potential tranfer fee if relegation happens

yes i understand but liverpool and us both knew that and liverpool still made a offer and thought they still had him i'm sure we still offered less than liverpool would have offered if there was no medical problems

It might not have been as good an idea as it first appeared meeting 20/30 agents over a week in a posh Parisian hotel. Ultimately it creates just the kind of atmosphere that shows our hand to all and sundry. All those agents are going to shoot their mouths off immediately they have a bargaining chip (a bid or interest from Newcastle).

With hindsight it would have been better swooping on individual deals one at a time and giving short time limits to the selling clubs ie. "We're looking at 3 left backs and the first to conclude will be signed, you have 24hrs only"...I can't see any other way around it if as we now see other clubs are aware that we're not flexible with reg to valuation or wages.

The Cisse case is a good example of us being ultra serious to wrap a deal up quick. What's changed?

It might not have been as good an idea as it first appeared meeting 20/30 agents over a week in a posh Parisian hotel. Ultimately it creates just the kind of atmosphere that shows our hand to all and sundry. All those agents are going to shoot their mouths off immediately they have a bargaining chip (a bid or interest from Newcastle).

With hindsight it would have been better swooping on individual deals one at a time and giving short time limits to the selling clubs ie. "We're looking at 3 left backs and the first to conclude will be signed, you have 24hrs only"...I can't see any other way around it if as we now see other clubs are aware that we're not flexible with reg to valuation or wages.

The Cisse case is a good example of us being ultra serious to wrap a deal up quick. What's changed?

truth is though, we haven't got a clue what is going on and how things are conducted by us or others.

yes i understand but liverpool and us both knew that and liverpool still made a offer and thought they still had him i'm sure we still offered less than liverpool would have offered if there was no medical problems

I'd say he wasn't so sure of getting first team football at Liv, having been virtually out of the game for nearly a year.

truth is though, we haven't got a clue what is going on and how things are conducted by us or others.

What we know doesn't matter, the fact that the competion seem to is the worry. ;)

How serious in all reality was the Remy bid anayway? He took a week to think about it for starters and his club started telling everyone about our bid from day one. Shouldn't we have got a stronger indication from the club and player in a more confidential manner before the window even opened?? I mean he was our main target or so it appeared. :aww:

You could apply that argument to almost every single thing about the football club. Actually, you do apply that argument. Gets a bit tedious after a while, you're not saying anything.

This forum would be dead if there was no speculation or discussion about things we can't possibly know for good. We're putting down our opinions and thoughts on what is going on.

You could apply that argument to almost every single thing about the football club. Actually, you do apply that argument. Gets a bit tedious after a while, you're not saying anything.

This forum would be dead if there was no speculation or discussion about things we can't possibly know for good. We're putting down our opinions and thoughts on what is going on.

don't mind speculation, my problem is when people treat their speculation as fact.

Guest expat in the pool

the whole transfer window and agent's situation  sets up a system which resembles a auction room,

at the 11th hour when you think you're done the deal and the auctioneer(agent) makes everyone in the room aware that they are about to sell and are there any other offers

don't mind speculation, my problem is when people treat their speculation as fact.

Something is wrong in the state of Denmark.

Guest malandro

If the selling club don't want to be dictated to by NUFC that's their choice. Theres no reason at all why the transfer market should bow down to our needs, and I very much doubt we would take the moral high ground if the boot was on the other foot.

I understand the frustration but if we are outbid by WH that's down to us and nobody else.

What we know doesn't matter, the fact that the competion seem to is the worry. ;)

How serious in all reality was the Remy bid anayway? He took a week to think about it for starters and his club started telling everyone about our bid from day one. Shouldn't we have got a stronger indication from the club and player in a more confidential manner before the window even opened?? I mean he was our main target or so it appeared. :aww:

when we signed ba that had been in the press for best part of a week, we outbid everton according to the media. only the cabaye deal really came out the blue.

the whole transfer window and agent's situation  sets up a system which resembles a auction room,

at the 11th hour when you think you're done the deal and the auctioneer(agent) makes everyone in the room aware that they are about to sell and are there any other offers

I don't mind losing deals when it's piddling amounts of money for back up/young players as is the case with this left back...What I find surreal is that we let our main target drift and wander away to the competition. The backstory is absurd.

Guest expat in the pool

I don't mind losing deals when it's piddling amounts of money for back up/young players as is the case with this left back...What I find surreal is that we let our main target drift and wander away to the competition. The backstory is absurd.

my head is kettled with the whole window    sick of it already

stuff tha backstory, the headline was he got an offer he was unlikely to get elsewhere, not just off us but from the vast majority.

when we signed ba that had been in the press for best part of a week, we outbid everton according to the media. only the cabaye deal really came out the blue.

Don't think Ba is the ideal test case. His knee frightened off just about every club that had considiered him and then the catastrophic medical at Stoke, "His knee could give in at any time"..Pulis. I think we got Ba cause as is evident now he wrote his own contract.

As I said the other day - since when nothing at all has happened - we're getting very close to the point at which the club will consider any signing (that we're not already in advanced discussions to sign) a panic-buy. They don't do panic-buys, because they feel they're being exploited.

The press, particularly over in France where we're shopping right now, seem to know our dealings inside out. Basically we've got to desperately hope that we do have deals in the offing where the selling club and agent(s) have agreed to confidentiality agreements, because if not we won't buy anyone.

Guest expat in the pool

as an agent what benefit would gain for you and your client if you restricted your ability to testing the market (free) by signing a confidentiality clause, unless maybe you had a top top draw player or manager as a client when the client almost picks their club and wants it as well

Agents have exerted far too much power in the recent years imo.  The "best interests" of the client/player used to be for footballing reasons and financial hand-in-hand.  It seems more and more today, the "best interests" of the client/player are money and money only, on top of a little more money.

:lol:

This window's been class, always some sort of bullshit to wake up to.

What kind of hours do you sleep?  :lol:

People's different time zones are befuddling in here.

Living in Melbourne, it's 11AM on Saturday morning here.

All the good shit goes down while I'm asleep. :lol: