Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

I think he should hold his head up high, what a performance. In for every loose ball and 50/50, which is quite remarkable being his first game back since the Mcmanaman tackle. Well done Haidara lad. Looking forward to seeing him play more.

Looks a great signing. As good as Santon is he's going to come under some serious pressure when we don't have European football to rotate the squad in.

Maybe we could try not getting knocked out of every domestic cup immediately.

This. Keep safety and build on the squad this summer and we have no excuse but to get a good domestic cup run or 2 with the squad now.

Sadio is going to be a top player, it's only going to force Davide to up his game.

Think we did miss some of Santon's attacking play last night. Those driving runs help put the opposition on the back foot.

Feel sorry for Santon. Seemed a bit burnt out before the injury and having something of a crisis of confidence, which is to be expected of a 21/22 year old who has made a couple of defensive errors.

Didn't Santon do this before? I seem to recall that at Inter he was the bees knees until he made a few mistakes which ruined his confidence and he ended up being a bit shit after that? Not saying he'll never be good again, just vaguely concerned that he has previous of letting mistakes wreck his confidence and game.

Santon is not a good defender and Haidara looks to be by far the better player in that position.

FBs are there to defend, first and foremost and that is how they should be judged before anything else,

If they can be a good asset coming forward, great, but Haidara seems to have both requirements and is better at his main job.

Whilst he remains in good form I would always pick him before Santon - end of.

Not disagreeing about Haidara, but fullbacks aren't always there to defend first. Obviously with Pardew that's the case and I think Haidara seems like he might be a better fit for us with Debuchy playing on the right.

Santon is not a good defender and Haidara looks to be by far the better player in that position.

FBs are there to defend, first and foremost and that is how they should be judged before anything else,

If they can be a good asset coming forward, great, but Haidara seems to have both requirements and is better at his main job.

Tell Dani Alves that.

In the modern game, full backs are very important in an attacking sense as it offers you an extra outlet. Look at how much Simpson limits our attacking play, and then compare him to Debuchy.

Tell Dani Alves that.

Remind me - where does Alves play again....??

I think people have writen off Santon a bit too quickly. Admittedly he has had some mediocre performances, but he still has some amazing offensive qualities and is still young enough to develop his defensive capabilities.

It might also see him bloom as a player if he was moved to the wing permanently (Bale). I would just hate to see another Milner-situation, where a player moves away and switches position (something a lot of people on here, were advocating with Milner), which makes him go from mediocre to amazing.

I think people have writen off Santon a bit too quickly. Admittedly he has had some mediocre performances, but he still has some amazing offensive qualities and is still young enough to develop his defensive capabilities.

It might also see him bloom as a player if he was moved to the wing permanently (Bale). I would just hate to see another Milner-situation, where a player moves away and switches position (something a lot of people on here, were advocating with Milner), which makes him go from mediocre to amazing.

absolutely this imo, he should be tried there next season...especially if we can't pick up any canny wingers/wide forwards

I've started to shift to wanting to see Santon play on the wing, after seeing how well Haidara is doing and now we have Debuchy. Even if it's only short-term, it can only benefit his game at full back and I think he'd be good defensively on the wing, a different option to Gutierrez.

• 3 months later...
Guest Roger Kint

Twitter shite.

Aye. i know the Chronicle has said he could go on loan but it makes no sense that link over a domestic loan.