Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Very pacy, tenacious and reads the game well.

Very early days, but santon shoul be looking over his shoulder and hopefully improving his defensive side of his game otherwise this lad is going to push him out...

Very pacy, tenacious and reads the game well.

Very early days, but santon shoul be looking over his shoulder and hopefully improving his defensive side of his game otherwise this lad is going to push him out...

Yeah that's exactly what I thought watching him last night. It wasn't the easiest of games to come into the side either.

Looked pretty good, quick to close down and tried to stay on his feet. Very promising, maybe not as good as Santon going forward but looks a bit better defensively (Possibly because he keeps his position).

Good to have competition and full back cover for both sides. Means we no longer have to worry about right/Left with Haidara, Santon, Debuchy, Mbiwa, Simpson all capable to some degree of playing there

:lol:

so what's the crack i missed it, this lad anywhere near ready for the PL then?

If last night is anything to go by, defensively he's better than Santon.

But it's just one game, another game could tell a totally different story.

Was really impressed with this guy last night. Also has that swagger and confidence to him like Mapou, Moussa, and Yoann too. Was hoping to see him head to the by-line more when attacking, but think we'll get to see him do that more in future.

In regards to pushing Santon into a winger, I think that's the wrong decision tbh.  He's not a winger by any means - his attacking side of his game is based on the space given to him by the opposition and his ability to attack it quickly and pass it away, cross, or shoot (rarely). He'll get crowded out further up the pitch imo.

Was really impressed with this guy last night. Also has that swagger and confidence to him like Mapou, Moussa, and Yoann too. Was hoping to see him head to the by-line more when attacking, but think we'll get to see him do that more in future.

In regards to pushing Santon into a winger, I think that's the wrong decision tbh.  He's not a winger by any means - his attacking side of his game is based on the space given to him by the opposition and his ability to attack it quickly and pass it away, cross, or shoot (rarely). He'll get crowded out further up the pitch imo.

would you rather have santon in a wide forward position for us, or jonas?  he's obviously not a winger but if it keeps jonas out of the team it's got to be worth doing

Guest icemanblue

would you rather have santon in a wide forward position for us, or jonas?  he's obviously not a winger but if it keeps jonas out of the team it's got to be worth doing

I'd still have Jonas ahead of him, like. Knows the position and the role a hell of a lot better.

Apart from he isn't similar to either of those players.

He started off as a winger, I'd like to see it tried. He'd have to learn to go on his left foot a lot more for it to be successful however. Either way he'd certainly be more of a threat than Jonás or Obertan.

He started as a forward.

Most people do, anyway this is the reason i don't want to see him as a winger.... a quote from Roberto Carlos on Hodgson.

My problem at Inter was Hodgson, Roy Hodgson. He wanted me to play as a forward when I'm a defender – I prefer to have space ahead of me to run into rather than be a winger already up there; for me it's better to have 80 metres to play in than 20. I didn't like the system or where Hodgson wanted me to play in it. He wanted me further up the pitch, sure, but stopped, still, rigid. The Copa America was coming up and I was playing at left-back for Brazil, so I wanted to play there for Inter too. I had to leave because I didn't want to jeopardise my chances with the national team. If I couldn't play the way I do I wouldn't be able to play for Brazil. I spoke to Massimo Morratti [the Inter president] to see if he could sort things out and it soon became clear that the only solution was to leave.   

The part in bold applies to Santon and why he would struggle as a winger, alot more than Jonas and Obertan do who actually understand the position.