Pep Guardiola

ExiledGeordie

Guest tollemache

We are aware that Benitez wouldn't look at Newcastle United for a second too, though, right?

Before anyone whinges about the board, that is purely a function of our not being established in the Champions League, through nobody's fault.

Tbf he was unemployed for 3 years and probably would have jumped at it.

I think his being unemployed for 3 years is more of a sign that he wouldn't have jumped at it, no?

We are aware that Benitez wouldn't look at Newcastle United for a second too, though, right?

Before anyone whinges about the board, that is purely a function of our not being established in the Champions League, through nobody's fault.

I think his being unemployed for 3 years is more of a sign that he wouldn't have jumped at it, no?

He was getting deperate. Coaching in Bahrain wasn't he/consultant or summink...

He talked to Villa.

Guest tollemache

Laudrup might well be an emerging talent as a manager but there isn't actually that much evidence in his track record to show that he'd come in and vastly improve Newcastle.

Guest tollemache

Do we know why it is he's not the manager of Villa then?

I always interpreted his being out of the game as being a sign he was waiting for another big club, like Inter or Chelsea. There are a lot of lesser clubs who would've loved to get him, obviously, but all we know of is one unproductive conversation with Villa. If he wanted a mid-level job he could've taken one within weeks of leaving Inter

Laudrup imo is the ideal coach for us. Attack minded, creative, confident and one hell of a good looking boy.

Give it a rest man, he's not coming here.

I'm making a dossier I'll have you know!

Excellent move for Pep.  Good setup at Bayern and potential for him to make them an even better team.

Not being Chelsea manager means I can still like him too.

Yeah they'll be sending scouting missions to the Himalaya to find the root of the Arayan race and such.

Guest tollemache

If all you want from a Newcastle manager is that he's bold and creative, I'm going to suggest Ezio Glerean. Not such a bad looking chap all round, achieved remarkable back-to-back promotions with Cittadella (C2 to B) and has his teams play a 3-3-4 formation. Literally two banks of three shifting laterally, a man-in-the-hole, two wide forwards and a striker. Against 4-3-3 he takes a man back from midfield and plays 4-2-4 instead.

Not sure how our squad works with that mind....

Debuchy   Coloccini     Taylor

Tiote        Cabaye       Anita

Santon          Marveaux        Ben Arfa

Cisse 

If all you want from a Newcastle manager is that he's bold and creative, I'm going to suggest Ezio Glerean. Not such a bad looking chap all round, achieved remarkable back-to-back promotions with Cittadella (C2 to B) and has his teams play a 3-3-4 formation. Literally two banks of three shifting laterally, a man-in-the-hole, two wide forwards and a striker. Against 4-3-3 he takes a man back from midfield and plays 4-2-4 instead.

Not sure how our squad works with that mind....

Debuchy   Coloccini     Taylor

Tiote        Cabaye       Anita

Santon          Marveaux        Ben Arfa

Cisse 

That looks risky but sexy. These days with a lot of sides playing one up/withdrawn striker it's not really necessary to have 4 players at the back unless you're up againt the top sides.

Am I the only one who thinks that Pep Guardiola is like that moustched bloke in the movie Contact, the one who sidelined Jodie Foster (Frank Riijkaard) and took all the glory after someone else did all the groundwork and laid the foundations?

Am I the only one who thinks that Pep Guardiola is like that moustched bloke in the movie Contact, the one who sidelined Jodie Foster (Frank Riijkaard) and took all the glory after someone else did all the groundwork and laid the foundations?

Hadn't thought about that. Village Idiot will know.

Rijkaard finished 3rd in his last season at Barca, a long way adrift of Madrid and Villarreal. Pep's team was built fresh from the ashes of Rijkaard's, not on his foundations.

Rijkaard was the one that gave Messi his chance though, so you could say in that sense he never got to see his prodigy through.

Guest tollemache

Also, just looking at the Barca side of a couple of seasons ago (best team I've ever seen, ever) with Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi in midfield and Villa, Messi, Pedro up front, compared with Rijkaard's outfit, tells you all you need to know. The phrase 'next level' springs to mind

Few things to consider though (and I'm not saying they're all correct):

1) IIRC Guardiola won everything in his first season. I don't believe this was a "Guardiola" team yet, and I did find it odd how he was being described as a great manager in his very first season managing by far the most talented team on the planet, most of whom were well developed players long before he took over. On top of this, some of the best signings under Pep took place straight after he joined, i.e. Alves and Pique. Was this down to him, or Rijkaard, or the board? Who identified those targets whilst he was managing the B side? An educated guess would be that the board/Directors/general management signed those players after the scouts had identified them as key targets, even more so when going by that behind-the-scenes Barca documentary back when Ronaldinho was at his peak and La Porta & Co were signing players with minimal input from Rijkaard.

2) When Riijkaard went, the team was at a stage where several players needed to be replaced -  Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco namely. Like all great teams, there comes a transition period where the team is shuffled and changed slightly, the old making way for the new, etc etc, and I think those changes would have been made with or without Riijkaard - it's just that Pep was there straight after that transition was made. To think of it another way, Alex Ferguson's teams have undergone numerous transitions now, with things going stale after a while with players needing to be phased out, but they always eventually get back to the top under him. Had Ferguson been sacked at any of those "low" point and someone else appointed who then enjoys the revival, it doesn't mean Fergie wouldn't have gotten the team back to the top again.

3) Guardiola lasted 4 seasons I think, and by the end of it he was starting to look a bit potty, especially in those big games where the team was just screaming out for a striker in the box. Didn't they lose out on the major competitions in his final season?

4) Messi hit his peak goalscoring form under Guardiola - how much of this is down to Pep is anyone's guess. Had Riijkaard, or anyone else in fact, been manager, I'm sure the end results wouldn't be much different.

FWIW I'd level similar arguements at Rijkaard, though I think he did more to actually build this team than Pep did.

Guest tollemache

1) You have to assume transfers work that way for more or less all Spanish, Italian, German etc clubs. Only the English are stupid enough to leave their transfer budget in the hands of a man they might sack 6 months later

it is difficult to gauge his ability solely from his results, for a lot of reasons. Him managing Barcelona is such a perfect agreement of manager and club culture and it couldn't happen anywhere else. There's no doubt he took a fantastic passing side and took it to an insane, stratospheric new level though, which is a lot like his remit at Bayern.

Few things to consider though (and I'm not saying they're all correct):

1) IIRC Guardiola won everything in his first season. I don't believe this was a "Guardiola" team yet, and I did find it odd how he was being described as a great manager in his very first season managing by far the most talented team on the planet, most of whom were well developed players long before he took over. On top of this, some of the best signings under Pep took place straight after he joined, i.e. Alves and Pique. Was this down to him, or Rijkaard, or the board? Who identified those targets whilst he was managing the B side? An educated guess would be that the board/Directors/general management signed those players after the scouts had identified them as key targets, even more so when going by that behind-the-scenes Barca documentary back when Ronaldinho was at his peak and La Porta & Co were signing players with minimal input from Rijkaard.

2) When Riijkaard went, the team was at a stage where several players needed to be replaced -  Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Deco namely. Like all great teams, there comes a transition period where the team is shuffled and changed slightly, the old making way for the new, etc etc, and I think those changes would have been made with or without Riijkaard - it's just that Pep was there straight after that transition was made. To think of it another way, Alex Ferguson's teams have undergone numerous transitions now, with things going stale after a while with players needing to be phased out, but they always eventually get back to the top under him. Had Ferguson been sacked at any of those "low" point and someone else appointed who then enjoys the revival, it doesn't mean Fergie wouldn't have gotten the team back to the top again.

3) Guardiola lasted 4 seasons I think, and by the end of it he was starting to look a bit potty, especially in those big games where the team was just screaming out for a striker in the box. Didn't they lose out on the major competitions in his final season?

4) Messi hit his peak goalscoring form under Guardiola - how much of this is down to Pep is anyone's guess. Had Riijkaard, or anyone else in fact, been manager, I'm sure the end results wouldn't be much different.

FWIW I'd level similar arguements at Rijkaard, though I think he did more to actually build this team than Pep did.

Who moved Messi to the middle though?