How good was..... Bracewell? (NUFC Version)

Tooj

Gonna enjoy this thread.

:thup:

Great thread idea. Imagine I'll only be able to contribute in another 20-30 years, mind you!

"Yes, yes, yes, Mike Williamson was a strange one really, he had the pace of Roberto Carlos and the strength of Jaap Stam... he could head the ball about as well as Les Ferdinand..."

Nattrass was a class player - he was usually a RB, but he could play in m/f almost as well.

He and Alan Kennedy were one of the best FB pairings of the 70s and had Nattrass not got badly injured(by Kenny Burns, a real ba---d during a series of bad-tempered games in league and cup against Brum), he would certainly have played for England. He was a very nice lad, but a bit deferential which meant he didn't push himself.

Around 6' tall and really elegant in his play, he was one of the best prospects the club has had - never quite the same player after his ligament injury and Kennedy went on to play for Liverpool and win major trophies there despite not being as good a player as Nattrass. Nattrass was a better defender than Kennedy although the latter had a slight edge in pace coming forward.

Both in the side that took us to Wembley in 76 under Gordon Lee.

Suffice be it to say that we haven't had a RB as good since...not even Venison.

All true, he was a Rolls Royce player (a dark purple even) until the injury.

Elegant best describes him.madras' comparison to Roeder's style is a good one, though Nattrass was a class above Glenn. Criminal really that he never got capped, especially when you consider the right backs that Revie and Greenwood selected. Cherry, Phil Neal, even Brian bastard Greenhoff. Nattrass was superior to all mentioned, and did indeed have a spell in midfield in the 78-79 season, he was that adept.

Elegant best describes him.madras' comparison to Roeder's style is a good one, though Nattrass was a class above Glenn. Criminal really that he never got capped, especially when you consider the right backs that Revie and Greenwood selected. Cherry, Phil Neal, even Brian b****** Greenhoff. Nattrass was superior to all mentioned, and did indeed have a spell in midfield in the 78-79 season, he was that adept.

My favourite Natrass moment was his last minute equaliser away to the Smogs, 3-1 down with about a couple of minutes left ended 3-3

Of course such memories also evoke Glen Keeley  :weep:

Keeley and John Bird. f***ing hell.

The back four was like pulling a stunning bird with stunningly great legs, spread them only to find a cock waiting in the middle.

Even as a 6 or 7 year old, I understood our central defenders were shite. Excellently put by the way Toon Pack. :lol:

Nattrass was playing when I started going to toon games,  but I can't remember how good a player he was. Keeley however, even being so young myself,  I picked up on how bad he was from my dad. He seemed to regularly score own goals.  Nufc record own goal scorer perhaps?

Best RB I,ve seen playing for us. Maybe Beye got close for a while though he had definitely peaked by the time he deserted the sinking ship.

Natrass would've been a class right back in todays game.

Full backs in his day didn't go forward anywhere near as much as todays do......but Irving did, he was definitely ahead of his time.

Best RB I,ve seen playing for us. Maybe Beye got close for a while though he had definitely peaked by the time he deserted the sinking ship.

Natrass would've been a class right back in todays game.

Full backs in his day didn't go forward anywhere near as much as todays do......but Irving did, he was definitely ahead of his time.

I recall he just never seemed to run anywhere, he just glided everywhere (usually to the right place) or was like the shneaky shneaky bloke out of the Mr Deeds film

I used to love watching Nattrass and Kennedy as a kid and Irving should have played for England, but this was in the days when no England manager would come here to watch him because we're too far away and there was almost no national TV coverage, so he had no chance (I think only Malcolm Macdonald got capped in about 30 years and as a big-money striker he got all the headlines). Cool, composed, classy, versatile, he played right-back, centre-half, and midfield and was good at them all. He had a few good years at Boro when he left here as well. Helped them from Div 1 to Div 3 :lol:

I liked John Bird, Keeley still probably still holds the title of best own goal I've ever seen.  Nattrass was a good player and one of the best right backs I've seen here, David Craig was the best as far as I'm concerned.

I liked John Bird, Keeley still probably still holds the title of best own goal I've ever seen.  Nattrass was a good player and one of the best right backs I've seen here, David Craig was the best as far as I'm concerned.

Just caught the end of David Craig's career, so I'll take your word for it. He must have been good though!

Keeley's og a terrific diving header?

i'm sure keeley score more than one cracking own goal and i seem to remember him putting his net finding talent to better use when pushed up front at blackburn.

didn't realise nattrass played on till 1986, i've no memeory of him from about 1983.

anyone else think he'd have made a fantastic centre half in todays game ?

I'm probably tarring him with Keeley's brush. My Dad didn't like him mind. Didn't see David Craig but my Dad liked him though not as much as Nattrass.

i'm sure keeley score more than one cracking own goal and i seem to remember him putting his net finding talent to better use when pushed up front at blackburn.

didn't realise nattrass played on till 1986, i've no memeory of him from about 1983.

I can remember him at Boro. He would have been a Colo type centre half for sure.

Guest Wally_McFool

Was a classic own goal at the Boro, no doubt about that, another classic was when we lost 4-3 at home to "Tommy who's up Mary Brown Dochertys" Man Utd just after they came back up from Division 2 and I remember McFaul rolling the ball to Nattrass who passed to John Bird who passed back to McFaul from over 30 yards out and sent the ball miles over McFaul into the net. Daft cunt!  :undecided:

where was he? 

a- boro- did he play against us in the 84 promotion game?- beardsleys goal in that game :smitten:

Just caught the end of David Craig's career, so I'll take your word for it. He must have been good though!

Keeley's og a terrific diving header?

It was a diving header, it was always going in.

Was a classic own goal at the Boro, no doubt about that, another classic was when we lost 4-3 at home to "Tommy who's up Mary Brown Dochertys" Man Utd just after they came back up from Division 2 and I remember McFaul rolling the ball to Nattrass who passed to John Bird who passed back to McFaul from over 30 yards out and sent the ball miles over McFaul into the net. Daft c***!  :undecided:

I remember that well, Who's up Mary Brown, who's up Mary Brown, Tommy, Tommy Docherty.