How good was..... Bracewell? (NUFC Version)

Tooj

Highly rated by Keegan, and always picked when fit-  his career was hampered by injuries iirc. Everton really got his best years, that midfield of the mid 80s was something special- had a real soft spot for everton then.  brought some great experience and leadership to our promotion and amazing 3rd place finish first season- A few lads I went with then thought with a bit more belief we could have actually won the league that season.

3 times a mackem mind.

edit :lol:  that was posted about brace- before the edit about nufc and came up as mira- wtf

I remember him as a young lad playing for Stoke, always looked a good un. As cp says ,that fine Everton side of the 80s had the best of him but injuries stopped him from becoming what I reckon he'd have had as an International career. When he played for us, you could still see the quality shine through and Keegan used him perfectly,as a midfield anchorman.

I remember him as a young lad playing for Stoke, always looked a good un. As cp says ,that fine Everton side of the 80s had the best of him but injuries stopped him from becoming what I reckon he'd have had as an International career. When he played for us, you could still see the quality shine through and Keegan used him perfectly,as a midfield anchorman.

looked a class above anything we'd seen for a few years, just picking balls up and pulling strings , very tidy in front of the ch's

Did he get pelters because he moved from the darkside? Can't remember any but I was only a young 'un. Was exactly what we needed in that promotion side, someone clever to use the ball simply and be disciplined while Clarkie bombed on.

Did he get pelters because he moved from the darkside? Can't remember any but I was only a young 'un. Was exactly what we needed in that promotion side, someone clever to use the ball simply and be disciplined while Clarkie bombed on.

nah- was well accepted tbh.

Guest neesy111

That left footer against Southend was unreal.

aye, 1st game of promo season? didnt he crack one aggainst Villa in the prem?

Aye in the game in which Cole broke the record.

He did, rasper from a similar distance IIRC. Was the game Cole broke the goal scoring record, seem to remember all the goals in that game were good even theres. Cracking atmosphere that night, seem to remember Big Ron copping a fair bit of jip.

He did, rasper from a similar distance IIRC. Was the game Cole broke the goal scoring record, seem to remember all the goals in that game were good even theres. Cracking atmosphere that night.

yeah- Ive said before that is probs the best atmoshere I can remember at sJp, just something special about that night , I was standing in the paddocks, the roar coming down from the new leazes that night has stuck with me.

Yeah, we don't do that small town stuff. He did a great job for us there and so did Barry Venison. It seemed that every time a corner or free kick was cleared he'd be right there on the edge of the box to control it, look up and distribute. No nonsense, essential type of player. Thumbs up from me.

Highly rated by Keegan, and always picked when fit-  his career was hampered by injuries iirc. Everton really got his best years, that midfield of the mid 80s was something special- had a real soft spot for everton then.  brought some great experience and leadership to our promotion and amazing 3rd place finish first season- A few lads I went with then thought with a bit more belief we could have actually won the league that season.

3 times a mackem mind.

edit :lol:  that was posted about brace- before the edit about nufc and came up as mira- wtf

I'm pretty sure while he was at Everton NUFC's Billy Whitehurst nearly finished his career with a fuck awful challenge in the centre circle at SJP. I'm sure it took him over a year to get back playing.

Bracewell was a great player for us and was given no stick at all for having played for the mackems.  I was at the game when Billy Whitehurst clattered him and broke his leg.  I was in the Gallowgate and I'm sure I heard his leg go and he was out of the game for almost 2 years.

looked a class above anything we'd seen for a few years, just picking balls up and pulling strings , very tidy in front of the ch's

Yet people think we need a destroyer in front of the 2 cbs  :whistle:

He did, rasper from a similar distance IIRC. Was the game Cole broke the goal scoring record, seem to remember all the goals in that game were good even theres. Cracking atmosphere that night, seem to remember Big Ron copping a fair bit of jip.

Yes, you are both right - Bracewell, despite his Mackem connections, will always have a special place for those of us who remember the promotion season of 92/93 well and our first season in the PL the following year because of those 2 goals.

The Southend one was a particular memory because it was our first goal of that season, thundered in from about 25 yards, and the Villa one, a volley I believe, pulled us level with them and we went on to win 5-1 with Andy Cole getting that famous 41st goal, the best top division scoring performance by a Newcastle player since George Robledo in tne 50s. The whole ground was jumping to the Andy Cole song after the goal and, as Disco says, 'Big Fat Ron' was the target of the sung question' What's the score, Big Fat Ron..!?'

Brilliant night that topped off our great first season with us getting 3 rd place in the PL.

Bracewell was past his best when he came to us but still did a great job for 2 seasons - great player for Everton but that injury to his ankle caused by Whitehurst at SJP, did take the edge off the rest of his career.

That  was true, and surprising. Made an impact from the start, and that ALWAYS helps.

That  was true, and surprising. Made an impact from the start, and that ALWAYS helps.

It wasn't surprising at all because we're nothing like the mackems.  We had Alan Brown on loan from the mackems and he had no bother at all, I think he played 5 and scored 3 before we sent him back.  We also signed Jeff Clarke who ended up playing more than 100 games for us, and we signed Venison who had played for them before going to Liverpool. 

Newcastle fans have never had a problem with players who have played for Sunderland because we're not petty, they are the only ones who can't get over it.

Yes, you are both right - Bracewell, despite his Mackem connections, will always have a special place for those of us who remember the promotion season of 92/93 well and our first season in the PL the following year because of those 2 goals.

The Southend one was a particular memory because it was our first goal of that season, thundered in from about 25 yards, and the Villa one, a volley I believe, pulled us level with them and we went on to win 5-1 with Andy Cole getting that famous 41st goal, the best top division scoring performance by a Newcastle player since George Robledo in tne 50s. The whole ground was jumping to the Andy Cole song after the goal and, as Disco says, 'Big Fat Ron' was the target of the sung question' What's the score, Big Fat Ron..!?'

Brilliant night that topped off our great first season with us getting 3 rd place in the PL.

Bracewell was past his best when he came to us but still did a great job for 2 seasons - great player for Everton but that injury to his ankle caused by Whitehurst at SJP, did take the edge off the rest of his career.

Was an amazing night, that. 'Two-one, fat Ron' started in the Gallowgate; at every goal the chants got louder and Ron moved further back from the pitch.