How good was..... Bracewell? (NUFC Version)

Tooj

Mira's problems began when he developed hamstring problems on Luton's plastic pitch.

He was a decent forward, plenty of pace but fell foul of Jim Smith after he sided with the Magpie Group during the takeover battle...Smith was a McKeag man so he bad-mouthed Mira, esp to Bob Cass who was a big mate of Smith.

Met him a couple of times, was a nice lad who wanted the club to do better, but time was against him - he was 28 by the time he joined us in 1987.

did we finish 8th his first season, then relegated in a much hyped following season, think we took 4 points from Liverpool in the relegation season. sacked Mcfaul mis season and brought in Jim Smith who clashed with Mirra.

all I've ever been told is "we've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's f***ing brill".

And the accompanying: "we've got Kenny Wharton, he's not from Argentina, he's from Cowgate, he's f***ing great!"

Loved Mira, but he really was like the ball-greedy kid in the playground, would try take on everyone rather than make a simple pass.

all I've ever been told is "we've got Mirandinha, he's not from Argentina, he's from Brazil, he's f***ing brill".

And the accompanying: "we've got Kenny Wharton, he's not from Argentina, he's from Cowgate, he's f***ing great!"

Loved Mira, but he really was like the ball-greedy kid in the playground, would try take on everyone rather than make a simple pass.

had that by a bunch of charvas, younger than myself(!), non-stop en-route to Sheff Wed in the promotion season along with "don't stop Peter Beardsley you're the one that drives me crazy"

there`s a decent amount of videos floating about on that popular video sharing site if you type in: Mirandinha Newcastle ....including his debut against Norwich/ press conference etc...interesting

brings back memories of wor Mira

I still have my NUFC/Brazil ski hat...

think that hat is on there if you type : Newcastle United vs Wimbledon - September 5th, 1987  :D

When we signed him, he'd just given England the runaround at Wembley, culminating in him scoring the winner in a 1-0 win for Brazil, and so I think we thought that this was the new Keegan type signing. How had we managed to sign Brazil's centre forward ?

However, he turned out to be a right greedy twat, literally shooting from anywhere, and trying to beat 8 men rather than play a simple pass.

Still, in another drunken trip to Highfield Road, and another easy 3-0 win, Gazza and him were unplayable. It ended with Gazza trying to tackle Mira, to guffaws of laughter from all around the ground.

aye- hyped to the Max - only ever wanted to shoot for goal everytime he got the ball- or fight Dave Beasant. :lol:  to be fair to him, to come from South America to the s*** late 80s team we had must have been difficult.

I can still remember him running up behind Beasant and kicking him up the arse, I wonder what he thought when we signed Beasant?  :lol:

Gazza was teaching Mirandinha to speak English but he would only teach him swear words for everything.

Kenny wasn't from Cowgate, he was from Blakelaw, I'm sure he lived in Roundhill Avenue.

Guest malandro

Looked the part on his debut away to Norwich(?) but it was largely downhill from there. His song will last longer in the memory than anything he did on the pitch. Not a bad lad but as been said probably the most ball greedy player ever to play for NUFC

Iirc, he finally fell out with the club over tax breaks he needed to buy a pig farm.

Me mam was a midwife and swore doon Maradona's missus gave birth on her watch at the Princess Mary. I'm gonna guess that there's a Geordie-born lad with football genius DNA somewhere in Brazil atm and just wants to come home to beat last year's runners-up.

On the other hand, wasn't Supermac involved in the transfer in somehow and described him as "Brazil's second best No. 10"? Cba to look it up as usual. :yao:

Never saw him play. 1987-89 were dole years :( Fucking Thatcher. Still not dead. :(

Me mam was a midwife and swore doon Maradona's missus gave birth on her watch at the Princess Mary. I'm gonna guess that there's a Geordie-born lad with football genius DNA somewhere in Brazil atm and just wants to come home to beat last year's runners-up.

On the other hand, wasn't Supermac involved in the transfer in somehow and described him as "Brazil's second best No. 10"? Cba to look it up as usual. :yao:

Never saw him play. 1987-89 were dole years :( Fucking Thatcher. Still not dead. :(

???

article I came across a while back about Mira`s time here....didn`t realise he was a scout for us before....under the SBR days he almost became one of the youth coaches.

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/26067/default.aspx

aye he does have a son....by the name of Paul Ashton Hernandez so your mam was right judging by that un Brasilian name:D

apparently he was on trial at West Ham a few years ago.

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20010723/glenns-transfer-latest_2236884_1139433

Interview

http://www.toontastic.net/board/topic/21656-mirandinha/

???

:lol: Ah knaa, ah telt ah. She wasn't having it, like. I showed her pictures and everything. This is Diego Maradona. This is Mirandinha. "The first one." No, ma, it's the second one. "That one off the TV. That was him." No it fucking wasn't! Are you really in charge of a hospital? Fucking hell.

If you or your wife had a child between about 1970 and 1991 at Princess Mary you would have had excellent care and zero facial recognition from my mam. Ffs. She was totally convinced it was Maradona.

Every time he got the ball, he only had one thing on his mind, which was to go full pelt towards the opposition goal until he was tackled. He'd either lose the ball or score. No prizes for guessing what was the most common outcome.

IIRC, he was bought with the money from selling Beardsley, I suspect on the strength of a good performance for Brazil at Wembley the season before. He was the first Brazilian to play in the First Division, so it was quite a bold step. In the end though, a failed experiment.

Guest Howaythetoon

Never saw him play but I've heard some cracking tails about him from various talk-ins, especially about him and Gazza. Gazza would steal his car, teach him to for example order a pint by saying "fuck you cunt" and a whole host of other capaers. By all accounts he settled here pretty quickly and become one of the lads, i.e. liked to bet, booze and the women.

Was stood on the stretford end with my dad when Mira scored the two at OT for the 22 draw. In truth he was one footed and very greedy but he was an improvement on what we had.

I commented earlier on Nattrass who was an all together classier player.

did we finish 8th his first season, then relegated in a much hyped following season, think we took 4 points from Liverpool in the relegation season. sacked Mcfaul mis season and brought in Jim Smith who clashed with Mirra.

Sold Gazza preseason brought in Hendrie, Beasant et el. Think it was 2-2 at home to Liverpool.......my personal favourite Mira memory leaving Hansen on his arse scoring at Gallogate end on a soaking Pitch.

After Mirandinha had absolutely nothing to shout about till KK.