How good was..... Bracewell? (NUFC Version)

Tooj

I liked John Bird, Keeley still probably still holds the title of best own goal I've ever seen.  Nattrass was a good player and one of the best right backs I've seen here, David Craig was the best as far as I'm concerned.

Was a classic own goal at the Boro, no doubt about that, another classic was when we lost 4-3 at home to "Tommy who's up Mary Brown Dochertys" Man Utd just after they came back up from Division 2 and I remember McFaul rolling the ball to Nattrass who passed to John Bird who passed back to McFaul from over 30 yards out and sent the ball miles over McFaul into the net. Daft cunt!  :undecided:

I remember Graham Oates chipping McFaul in a midweek game in the first few seconds from about 30 yards without the oppo (Leeds, it says here) touching the ball. On his full home debut as well iirc. His career never recovered, unsurprisingly. First time I heard the phrase "Oh, for fuck's sake" x about 30,000 :lol: Poor Willie must have hated his defence.

Edit: Nah, it was Mike Mahoney Super Goalie la la la la la

I liked John Bird, Keeley still probably still holds the title of best own goal I've ever seen.  Nattrass was a good player and one of the best right backs I've seen here, David Craig was the best as far as I'm concerned.

Was a classic own goal at the Boro, no doubt about that, another classic was when we lost 4-3 at home to "Tommy who's up Mary Brown Dochertys" Man Utd just after they came back up from Division 2 and I remember McFaul rolling the ball to Nattrass who passed to John Bird who passed back to McFaul from over 30 yards out and sent the ball miles over McFaul into the net. Daft c***!  :undecided:

I remember Graham Oates chipping McFaul in a midweek game in the first few seconds from about 30 yards without the oppo (Leeds, it says here) touching the ball. On his full home debut as well iirc. His career never recovered, unsurprisingly. First time I heard the phrase "Oh, for f***'s sake" x about 30,000 :lol: Poor Willie must have hated his defence.

best own goal i've seen that, better than keeleys.

I remember Graham Oates chipping Mike Mahoney in a midweek game in the first few seconds from about 30 yards without the oppo (Leeds, it says here) touching the ball. On his full home debut as well iirc. His career never recovered, unsurprisingly. First time I heard the phrase "Oh, for f***'s sake" x about 30,000 :lol:

Was in not McFaul in goal?

Guest Wally_McFool

I remember Graham Oates chipping Mike Mahoney in a midweek game in the first few seconds from about 30 yards without the oppo (Leeds, it says here) touching the ball. On his full home debut as well iirc. His career never recovered, unsurprisingly. First time I heard the phrase "Oh, for f***'s sake" x about 30,000 :lol:

Was in not McFaul in goal?

Could well have been Mahoney for both of 'em come to think of it.

Me  memories quite good but not that good. :D

:lol: Edited it, saw it had been quoted, unedited it and edited it differently, now the interim version has been quoted too. It's like two realities at once.  :explode:

Willie retired in 1975, Oates joined the following season, so it was Mahoney. I don't remember the Bird one, but it would have been Roger Jones in goal, in the previous home game!

Mattress and Kennedy were the best pair of full backs in my 40 years of watching NUFC. For the younger readers the only pairing close were Beresford and Watson in 1996/7. As others have said what stood Natrass apart was his time on the ball and effortless running style. Kennedy on the other side was pure power and so a contrast. Had a good spell in midfield before injury took its toll and he moved onwards ad downwards.

Mattress and Kennedy were the best pair of full backs in my 40 years of watching NUFC. For the younger readers the only pairing close were Beresford and Watson in 1996/7. As others have said what stood Natrass apart was his time on the ball and effortless running style. Kennedy on the other side was pure power and so a contrast. Had a good spell in midfield before injury took its toll and he moved onwards ad downwards.

:lol: Spellcheck?

i'm looking forward to more of these.

a little while back i was tempted to do a "memories of..........." to coincide with the teams we were playing and heading them with scanned foto's of programmes from years past. one of those possibly great you just never get round to doing.

a little while back i was tempted to do a "memories of..........." to coincide with the teams we were playing and heading them with scanned foto's of programmes from years past. one of those possibly great you just never get round to doing.

sounds good- I need it to reach the 80s- tho my dad took me in the 70s, I can only really remember the ground crowds and supermac. maybe a few others- 80s was when I started having season tickets and going to away games.

Nattrass was a class player - he was usually a RB, but he could play in m/f almost as well.

He and Alan Kennedy were one of the best FB pairings of the 70s and had Nattrass not got badly injured(by Kenny Burns, a real ba---d during a series of bad-tempered games in league and cup against Brum), he would certainly have played for England. He was a very nice lad, but a bit deferential which meant he didn't push himself.

Around 6' tall and really elegant in his play, he was one of the best prospects the club has had - never quite the same player after his ligament injury and Kennedy went on to play for Liverpool and win major trophies there despite not being as good a player as Nattrass. Nattrass was a better defender than Kennedy although the latter had a slight edge in pace coming forward.

Both in the side that took us to Wembley in 76 under Gordon Lee.

Suffice be it to say that we haven't had a RB as good since...not even Venison.

A lot of bad tempered game agaist Brum then , after Jim Smith broke some guy leg in the first minute of the game. I think it was a texaco cup game .

But on the subjet of how good he was , very from what i remember of the man.Just as good either full back or centre back, We could do with him now thats for sure.

Was a classic own goal at the Boro, no doubt about that, another classic was when we lost 4-3 at home to "Tommy who's up Mary Brown Dochertys" Man Utd just after they came back up from Division 2 and I remember McFaul rolling the ball to Nattrass who passed to John Bird who passed back to McFaul from over 30 yards out and sent the ball miles over McFaul into the net. Daft c***!  :undecided:

I remember Graham Oates chipping McFaul in a midweek game in the first few seconds from about 30 yards without the oppo (Leeds, it says here) touching the ball. On his full home debut as well iirc. His career never recovered, unsurprisingly. First time I heard the phrase "Oh, for f***'s sake" x about 30,000 :lol: Poor Willie must have hated his defence.

best own goal i've seen that, better than keeleys.

Yes, Bird's thunderous 25 yard strike into his own net against Man U at SJP was the most spectacular OG I've ever seen...

We need these threads because there is precious little to be proud about nowadays - amazing to think that I used to remember the 70s and compare them VERY unfavourably to how the club was during KKs first spell as manager.

They were certainly better than what we have now and we played better football for the most part.

Most First Div teams had a few decent players in those days and it wasn't such a shock if the unfancied sides beat the likes of Leeds, Liverpool, Derby and Arsenal who were top dogs then.

Gonna enjoy this thread.

:thup:

Great thread idea. Imagine I'll only be able to contribute in another 20-30 years, mind you!

"Yes, yes, yes, Mike Williamson was a strange one really, he had the pace of Roberto Carlos and the strength of Jaap Stam... he could head the ball about as well as Les Ferdinand..."

Somehow, I don't think ANYBODY has a memory that bad or that selective....!

http://images.supersport.com/Mirandinha-celebrates890325R300.jpg

Somebody my dad describes as the greediest player he's ever seen wearing our shirt!

aye- hyped to the Max - only ever wanted to shoot for goal everytime he got the ball- or fight Dave Beasant. :lol:  to be fair to him, to come from South America to the shit late 80s team we had must have been difficult.

Guest expat in the pool

was at anfield when he scored the winner in 88, apart from that cant remember a thing he did

overhyped cos he was brazilian

Remember when he lived on Fawdon Lane and the pub opposite his house The Fawdon had just got back from a morning match and saw him and got him in the pub to watch the strippers and bought his drinks till they carried him home at 4.00 pm  O0

Was Nattrass one of the local players who went on strike to get Richard Dinnis the job after Gordon Lee walked out for Everton?

I remember 'Mira' very clearly and yes, he was greedy. Used to have some huge arguements on the field with Paul Goddard. :D I also remember him hitting the bar from about 45 yards against Liverpool in 88/89 when we went down. He first lived in Bedlington (the club bought him a house there) and he was well known for playing football games on the street with the local kids. Plenty of my mates at school got his autograph.