Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa joins AS Roma then Lyon

KaKa

One's a replacement for the other, who's nearly 32. And as we've discussed at a pointless length they have the same costly weakness. Of course there's no long-term future in it.

I get what you're saying. For the time being, they form a strong partnership. But MYM was clearly brought-in to be Colo's replacement, particularly in light of Colo's issues last year. If we're looking to add another young CB in the future, which we'll inevitably have to do, it would make sense to get a more physical/aerial threat type CB to complement MYM.

Disagree. Ideally you'd want a full season for Mapou to learn from Colo but beyond that we need a Douglas type in there. Something we can really rely on against all forms of attack.

Okay yeah that. :lol:

I agree with Ron on all he says here. Based on nothing but I reckon Colo will be homeward bound next summer and even if he doesn't,  his powers  have  been gradually on the wane as each season passes. And a new forceful, aerially dominant centre back would be a perfect foil for Mapou.

It also wasn't good, irrespective of whose job it was to mark Benteke, to witness our central defenders marking fresh air for their goal. And in the relative short term, I would want this new forceful,  good in the air centre back to come in and counter that situation reoccurring

While disagree with Ron, i wouldn't think games against Fulham, Wham and Villa are the time to judge them just yet.

That works either way though, in terms of writing them off. Colo's age is the thing that worries me. FWIW I don't think MYM is bad in the air

If he was good he would be marking Benteke. Instead Siss was doing it who imo is not great in the air either.

I agree with Ron on all he says here. Based on nothing but I reckon Colo will be homeward bound next summer and even if he doesn't,  his powers  have  been gradually on the wane as each season passes.

Have they? I don't think so at all.

I do..down to his pace going I reckon. Got caught too far up the pitch at Spurs and Liverpool just off the top of my head...he's still a very good centre half just not as good as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago.

While disagree with Ron, i wouldn't think games against Fulham, Wham and Villa are the time to judge them just yet.

That works either way though, in terms of writing them off. Colo's age is the thing that worries me. FWIW I don't think MYM is bad in the air

If he was good he would be marking Benteke. Instead Siss was doing it who imo is not great in the air either.

Like he marked him basically the entire game from open play?

Tbf its easier to deal with players like Benteke in open play than it is at set pieces.... if i recall correctly he didn't do much last season from open play either.

But in any case Mapou and Colo's performance against Benteke was encouraging, you won't find many more dominating forwards in the league and they marshalled him extremely well.

I agree with Ron on all he says here. Based on nothing but I reckon Colo will be homeward bound next summer and even if he doesn't,  his powers  have  been gradually on the wane as each season passes.

I do..down to his pace going I reckon. Got caught too far up the pitch at Spurs and Liverpool just off the top of my head...he's still a very good centre half just not as good as he was 2 or 3 seasons ago.

He's never been remotely quick on the ground since he's been here.  The way he plays is about being quick mentally rather than physically.  Reading the game and cutting an attack off early and using his skill on the ball to smuggle it away and keep possession.  His lack of pace usually doesnt cause a problem because of his intelligence, but of course its inevitable that it'll get exploited sometimes.  Because of the way he plays I dont see why he cant play well into his 30's either, at least he now has pace next to him in Yanga Mbiwa as well.

When did Coloccini ever have pace though?  The way he plays is about being quick mentally rather than physically.  Reading the game and cutting an attack off early and using his skill on the ball to smuggle it away and keep possession.  Always has been since he's been here, pace has always been a weakness of his but it usually doesnt cause a problem because of his intelligence.  Because of the way he plays I dont see why he cant play well into his 30's, at least he now has pace next to him in Yanga Mbiwa as well.

Maybe his quickness of mind is going then. All I know is that last season he was caught out more than previous seasons. And it's fair to put it down to age. I'm not saying replace him now and neither is anyone, it's just that we should be pursuing his successor sooner rather than later.

I agree he's about reading the game but slowing up will still hurt him, he'll get tired sooner and pick up more injuries, that said reckon we may get 2 seasons out of him not just one more but we should be succession planning now

Does anyone know how Curtis Good is performing?

Last season the entire team struggled, he was out of the side for a while and there was also the whole controversy of him wantng to leave.  I just cant agree to assuming age was the reason for a lesser performance from him last season.

Hope you're joking about his mental quickness going BTW, you're making him sound like a grandad here, he's 31 :lol:

Last season the entire team struggled, he was out of the side for a while and there was also the whole controversy of him wantng to leave.  I just cant agree to assuming age was the reason for a lesser performance from him last season.

Hope you're joking about his mental quickness going BTW, you're making him sound like a grandad here, he's 31 :lol:

Aye, Alzheimer's is the reason  :lol: No I just think as each season passes he's made more mistakes. The Championship season and the first one back , he was immense, and I just reckon since then he's not been as consistently good, week in week out.

People have mentioned about how Colo is helping MYM, but i think the same is the case vice versa.

Colo has someone alongside him with a lot of speed, but not only that he's a lot more intelligent than Taylor or Williamson as well as his positional sense being a lot better.

That can only help Colo as he moves into his latter years.

People have mentioned about how Colo is helping MYM, but i think the same is the case vice versa.

Colo has someone alongside him with a lot of speed, but not only that he's a lot more intelligent than Taylor or Williamson as well as his positional sense being a lot better.

That can only help Colo as he moves into his latter years.

Well put

I agree he's about reading the game but slowing up will still hurt him, he'll get tired sooner and pick up more injuries, that said reckon we may get 2 seasons out of him not just one more but we should be succession planning now

Does anyone know how Curtis Good is performing?

He looked very composed in the second half against Morecambe, but he's another cultured CB rather than the big stopper you'd ideally like to pair with Colo/Mbiwa.

When was Colo bad last year? Arsenal at Emirates springs to mind, maybe Fulham away as well. But other than that? He was injured at parts of the start, had an absolutely monumental game in the derby (which we would have won had he not gone off), came back to captain us when we went on that half decent run from February until we played Southampton when he got injured (being superb at Kharkiv etc). Then came back again and saved us at West Ham and so on.

Not on 10/11 or 11/12 form, but he wasn't bad. Also, playing in a terribly disoriented team with Williamson dragged him out of position all the time.

I do love Colo but his best days are behind him now and his levels certainly dropped last season. Still one of the better CBs in the PL, like.

I honestly think that his levels dropped because of the San lorenzo thing and a couple of niggly injuries, could say exactly the same about Cabaye...

Even at 90% Colo is way better than anything we are used to seeing at centre back

When was Colo bad last year? Arsenal at Emirates springs to mind, maybe Fulham away as well. But other than that? He was injured at parts of the start, had an absolutely monumental game in the derby (which we would have won had he not gone off), came back to captain us when we went on that half decent run from February until we played Southampton when he got injured (being superb at Kharkiv etc). Then came back again and saved us at West Ham and so on.

Not on 10/11 or 11/12 form, but he wasn't bad. Also, playing in a terribly disoriented team with Williamson dragged him out of position all the time.

Liverpool away and Tottenham away he cost us points.