Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

Just as long as Williamson, Jonas and Shola are no where near the team, I do not really give a fuck.  These three really should not be playing again this season unless absolutely necessary.  As Pardew said, players have got away with being shit for too long, not anymore.

The added competition IMO will raise everyone's game as they will not stay in the side too long if they drop a bollock.

I'll be surprised if Perch starts. Unless Anita is injured.

Wouldn't put it past Pardew though. He needs a DM there for this defensive stability.

Pardew logic, if Anita is on the bench he has a stronger player to change the game if not going well

To be honest I don't think it's unreasonable to have a solid defensive midfielder when the rest of your front 6 are so attack-minded - I would imagine that's where Tiote will slot in when he gets back.

Perch is solid enough when all he has to do is put a foot in then pass it.

Jonas will play, lack of faith in Santon dictates it, feel a little sorry for Santon he has been over used for a young lad really. The kid is desperate for a breather but informationally he has to start every game for now.

Guest Roger Kint

To be honest I don't think it's unreasonable to have a solid defensive midfielder when the rest of your front 6 are so attack-minded - I would imagine that's where Tiote will slot in when he gets back.

Perch is solid enough when all he has to do is put a foot in then pass it.

Exactly. I would be more bothered about Saylor starting over MYM which i really cant see at all. Beggars belief that we wouldnt start him tonight when the next two games are Chelsea & Spurs. Surely we cant throw him into those games rather than this one.

Tbh, Tioté slotting in when he gets back, keeping things simple, winning the ball back and tackle the shit out of every midfield he comes up against. We'll be laughing.

My problem then is Anita. I still regard him as our most modern and functional midfielder. He's going to be absolutely brilliant in time. If we control games I think him, Sissoko and Cabaye is our best pick.

Guest Roger Kint

Tbh, Tioté slotting in when he gets back, keeping things simple, winning the ball back and tackle the shit out of every midfield he comes up against. We'll be laughing.

My problem then is Anita. I still regard him as our most modern and functional midfielder. He's going to be absolutely brilliant in time. If we control games I think him, Sissoko and Cabaye is our best pick.

Certainly in home games i would prefer Anita there, like you say we would control games better that way.

A DCM IS am important position/role but vs Villa I think we need as many attacking players on the pitch as possible, after their recent results let them be the ones looking to bolster midfield and let us be the ones on the front foot.

Guest hydeous

I think Perch is decent defensively, but causes problems with his lack of vision and movement. There was a great comparision done on zonal marking? that showed how deep Cabaye had to play when beside Perch so he could get the play moving vs much further forward when beside Tiote.

Anyhow, still think we're looking good to put a few past these championship players and get some confidence back before the Chelsea game. Happy to see STaylor back, hope he stays fit for a while. Great to have 3 good, fit CB's. Every decent club does. I can't believe we went so long with just one.

Guest Roger Kint

Just looked on Paddy power for a bet on this. Was thinking with their set piece issues a wincast with Mbiwa would be a canny bet(if he starts) but they dont list him as a possible goalscorer. They have Michael Richardson though  :lol: