Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

In regards to McClaren - he took the Derby job to lick his wounds, has he really repaired his reputation though? He was mediocre to poor the last time he was in the Prem, a couple of seasons of continental football aren't gunna change that. s*** choice.

A couple of seasons of continental football is better than a lifetime of shit stuck in one country/culture. The ONLY reason I'd reluctantly give McLaren a chance to show what he can do is the fact that he's managed abroad. It's his only saving grace imo.

In regards to McClaren - he took the Derby job to lick his wounds, has he really repaired his reputation though? He was mediocre to poor the last time he was in the Prem, a couple of seasons of continental football aren't gunna change that. s*** choice.

A couple of seasons of continental football is better than a lifetime of shit stuck in one country/culture. The ONLY reason I'd reluctantly give McLaren a chance to show what he can do is the fact that he's managed abroad. It's his only saving grace imo.

Also he's an actual manager.

I get that we shouldn't have to 'settle' for a second rate manager/head coach but it really is starting to piss me off that people are turning their noses up at McClaren. Not to mention all the fucking numpties on the FB page still referring to him as 'The Wally with a Brolly'.

The title win at Twente was an incredible achievement, sold their best player in the summer (Eljero Elia) for 9m Euros and signed Ruiz, De Jong for 6m Euros. Of course it's not the best league in the world but regardless of the quality of the league, they weren't considered title contenders. They were unbeaten at home too. Second place Ajax had the likes of Suarez, Van der Wiel, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen...it was an incredible achievement.

Granted, it was 5 years ago but it still happened - compare that to who is in charge now. No contest.

How many of the McClaren haters think we're going to go out and appoint a progressive, foreign coach with a philosophy for attacking football? What are the genuine alternatives given Ashley's track record?

Yes, our expectations have been lowered and no I wouldn't be delighted with McClaren but I'd be happy with him - I'd take much more of an interest in us than I do currently and compared to how I'd feel if Carver was appointed. I can't even bare the thought of that.

In regards to McClaren - he took the Derby job to lick his wounds, has he really repaired his reputation though? He was mediocre to poor the last time he was in the Prem, a couple of seasons of continental football aren't gunna change that. Shit choice.

:thup: Amen to that.

There is nothing to be positive about if SMc comes in. Yeah, he's not Carver, but fucking hell that can't be the bar man.

At least go for some cunt who's tried to play football previously, whose shown an ability to excite crowds. If we're not going to compete for fuck all, at least have the decency to make the football reasonable.

Billy Boring is in no way a positive appointment imho. Turgid football, turgid dull fucking accent. Total fucking dribble.

I get that we shouldn't have to 'settle' for a second rate manager/head coach but it really is starting to piss me off that people are turning their noses up at McClaren. Not to mention all the fucking numpties on the FB page still referring to him as 'The Wally with a Brolly'.

The title win at Twente was an incredible achievement, sold their best player in the summer (Eljero Elia) for 9m Euros and signed Ruiz, De Jong for 6m Euros. Of course it's not the best league in the world but regardless of the quality of the league, they weren't considered title contenders. They were unbeaten at home too. Second place Ajax had the likes of Suarez, Van der Wiel, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Eriksen...it was an incredible achievement.

Granted, it was 5 years ago but it still happened - compare that to who is in charge now. No contest.

How many of the McClaren haters think we're going to go out and appoint a progressive, foreign coach with a philosophy for attacking football? What are the genuine alternatives given Ashley's track record?

Yes, our expectations have been lowered and no I wouldn't be delighted with McClaren but I'd be happy with him - I'd take much more of an interest in us than I do currently and compared to how I'd feel if Carver was appointed. I can't even bare the thought of that.

The same guy that's pissing the Championship with his scintillating brand of football. 1 Point ahead of Mick McCarthy's Ipswich.

I just don't see any reason to be positive. At least an 'unknown' would get the benefit of the doubt and there'd be some interest in how he'd set the team up.

Chronicle reckons it's between McClaren and Carver. :lol:

We're in a scenario where Steve McClaren is by far and away the better option ffs. Like being asked to either vote for Farage or Hitler.

Someone said yesterday that the Carver rumours were probably leaked by the club themselves so that fans won't set their sights too high. Now when Charnley unveils glamorous Steve McClaren as the new manager and not as feared Carver, everyone will be over the moon rather than underwhelmed.

I highly doubt that anyone will be over the moon like.

Read three posts up. If he arrives I can guarantee you there'll be plenty more like that to come.

I get that we shouldn't have to 'settle' for a second rate manager/head coach but it really is starting to p*ss me off that people are turning their noses up at McClaren. Not to mention all the f***ing numpties on the FB page still referring to him as 'The Wally with a Brolly'.

I think McLaren is a safer bet than some French guy who's never managed in England before and whom most of us have never even heard of.

McLaren has at least a breadth of experience at home and abroad and is by all accounts considered an excellent coach who in particular would be good for our younger players. It would be the safe option I agree, and perhaps a little bit "meh"; but it wouldn't be the end of the world by any stretch. I'd have preferred McLaren to Pardew any day.

The safe option isn't always the best option, i don't claim to know anything about this french guy but if the article posted before about him being progressive and a list of ideals of how he believes the game should be played is true i'd rather take a risk on that than the safe option.

As a club we have took the safe option for far too long, the safe option doesn't get you anywhere.

The same guy that's pissing the Championship with his scintillating brand of football. 1 Point ahead of Mick McCarthy's Ipswich.

I just don't see any reason to be positive. At least an 'unknown' would get the benefit of the doubt and there'd be some interest in how he'd set the team up.

The scintilating brand of football that we've NOT played for, what, 12 years?

What are you hoping for in the summer? Ashley to decide he does really give a shit after all and throw a load of money at Klopp? Or for a buyer to magically appear and make us all a lot happier?

In terms of being realistic, I'm happy with McClaren. If our circumstances change and we get a new owner, then I won't be.

We're in a scenario where Steve McClaren is by far and away the better option ffs. Like being asked to either vote for Farage or Hitler.

Someone said yesterday that the Carver rumours were probably leaked by the club themselves so that fans won't set their sights too high. Now when Charnley unveils glamorous Steve McClaren as the new manager and not as feared Carver, everyone will be over the moon rather than underwhelmed.

Read three posts up. If he arrives I can guarantee you there'll be plenty more like that to come.

If you're referring to my post, and I think you might be, I clearly wouldn't be 'over the moon'

The scintilating brand of football that we've NOT played for, what, 12 years?

What are you hoping for in the summer? Ashley to decide he does really give a shit after all and throw a load of money at Klopp? Or for a buyer to magically appear and make us all a lot happier?

In terms of being realistic, I'm happy with McClaren. If our circumstances change and we get a new owner, then I won't be.

Of course we've not had it for years so why shouldn't we take the opportunity now?

Ashley could easily employ a manager capable of playing a decent brand of football without spending much more money or risking anything.

I genuinely don't think it's an unrealistic ambition, as a fan of a club who are not going to try in any competition they enter, to at least try to play proper football.

McLaren has never had a good footballing side.

Why does being 'realistic' mean you have to be happy with Steve McClaren from one league below and effectively damaged goods?

Why should we even be considering waiting for Steve McClaren and Derby fucking County? :lol:

I mean what serious sporting institution would wait for a lesser club and a second rate manager? It just doesn't make sense. You tell the bellend to come now or not at all. Why do we give a fuck about Derby's promotion bid? And, if he's going to leave in the summer anyway, why does he?

I hardly think it's unrealistic to expect better.

On top of that, the bloke is the most boring cunt going. Having to listen to him trot out the latest Bishop Bollocks on MoTD every week in that fucking monotone voice of his will literally drive me up the fucking wall.

TBH it would probably be the wrong PL club for McClaren unless we're going to change our ambition or our transfer policy.

I can see him struggling like fuck with the PR Side. He'll get ripped to fuck imho. He's already a bit of a mockery for the England reign and the sudden dutch accent. He'll be like Buzzcocks here after pre-season.

'How do you feel pre-season has gone Steve'

'Wew! Fucking unreal. Here man, wuh pure smashed St. Mirren like. Fucking fucked them reet up. An that cunt in midfield man, that radgie was pure lucky he wazn't sent off man. Me fatha's brother cousin was ganna propa have'im after the match like. Daaaft cunt'

Anybody associated with the Ashley regime is rightly treated with cynicism and it wouldn't take long for the fans to turn on him too.

Bit sad really but a sign of the times and the pure disengagement between owner and fanbase.

Some donkey in the middle, dishing out his propaganda, will get fucked sans lube when it all turns out to be lies or spin. Same for Penfold whose credibility is pretty much already shot.

The safe option isn't always the best option, i don't claim to know anything about this french guy but if the article posted before about him being progressive and a list of ideals of how he believes the game should be played is true i'd rather take a risk on that than the safe option.

As a club we have took the safe option for far too long, the safe option doesn't get you anywhere.

I'm not sure 'safe option' is the right description for the succession of utter gash we've had at the helm - Kinnear, Shearer, Pardew, Carver. Even Hughton was a risky appointment at the time.

They need to stop taking stupid gambles, look at the credentials of the available candidates and make a decision based on merit for once.

If you're referring to my post, and I think you might be, I clearly wouldn't be 'over the moon'

The "over the moon" comment was meant as fan reaction in contrast to giving Carver the job. Tbf, if I thought Carver was in serious danger of getting the job, I'd be over the moon to get McClaren instead, and I don't even like him. But compared to Pie and Chips Carver it would be like getting Jurgen Klopp.

The mere fact that these arseholes seem to be considering Carver for any position other than Head of Cone Placement shows exactly how much they know about football.

His record is fucking appalling, his tactics are unidentifiable, his ability to motivate players is non-existent, his team selections are awful and he has absolutely no record of success in football management to point to. There is literally no reason at all to have him in the running.

I'd welcome McLaren with open arms given the alternative means almost certain relegation

The "over the moon" comment was meant as fan reaction in contrast to giving Carver the job. Tbf, if I thought Carver was in serious danger of getting the job, I'd be over the moon to get McClaren instead, and I don't even like him. But compared to Pie and Chips Carver it would be like getting Jurgen Klopp.

:thup: