The other games today - 2012/13

Dave

Just watching the cup final highlights, Paul Scharner hasn't always looked like that has he? :lol:

He's a proper hipster these days man. :lol:

http://cdn.underwearexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Paul-Scharner-boxer-briefs.jpg

I think Lampard has been better for England than Gerrard has. Yet I'm not sure what it is but for me at the very peak of their powers I think Gerrard was a better player.

Gerrard showed better form for England than Lampard ever has, ironically in the period before Lampard came into the England team, and he was playing with Scholes centrally.

Scholes is on a different planet to Lampard. Well done to him for breaking the club record though.

However much you rate Scholes or don't rate Lampard, that is a huge exaggeration.

Dave Whelan

Just before half-time, the young left-back - nicknamed 'Crunch' Whelan by Rovers supporters in tribute to his robust tackling - went in for a challenge on Wolves winger Norman Deeley. In that fleeting moment, all would change.

"I knew immediately when he hit me that my leg was broken," says Whelan. "I was running at full pace - obviously you can't stop.

In an exclusive interview with ITV Sport, Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan told Gabriel Clarke that he is still bitter about the "high" tackle – "a foot over the ball" – by Wolves winger Norman Deeley that broke his leg in the 1960 FA Cup Final. Neither Wolves nor Deeley apologised for the incident.

"It was a tough game then, and I tackled Norman Deeley and tackled him rough and tough, and he retaliated by coming over the ball," Whelan said. "He did not intend to break my leg, but if you're going over the ball, there's always a chance."

“And I did. I got there seconds before Deeley. But that was when I realised he had no intention at all of racing me for that ball. He was going for me. As I was running I heard a loud crack and felt my knee suddenly burn with pain. ……I was in agony and I knew I was out of the game. Norman Deeley had got me good and proper.”

Now, has anyone actually seen the tackle? Not sure if I can post the link here but here it is anyway.

http://i.imgflip.com/1g0zv.gif

:lol:

I think Lampard has been better for England than Gerrard has. Yet I'm not sure what it is but for me at the very peak of their powers I think Gerrard was a better player.

Gerrard showed better form for England than Lampard ever has, ironically in the period before Lampard came into the England team, and he was playing with Scholes centrally.

I'm with Tooj on this one. Between 2003 and 2006, Lampard was practically carrying England, he was fantastic. Gerrard's never really done that over a sustained time in my eyes. He'll pop up with the odd great game every now and again but he's never matched what Lampard did over that period.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lampard is or was a much better player than Gerrard who for all the hollywood passes, long rangers and carrying of Liverpool, has always been a technically limited player in comparision.

Lampard has been a great player, easily one of the best in the world during his time. Over 200 goals for his club from midfield man...

Scholes is still the daddy though.

What a bargain for Chelsea Lampard has been.

To think West Ham got relegated with a midfield containing Lampard*, Cole and Carrick, Defoe up front as well.

*Or had he already left?  :blush:

Edit: Yes he had already left :lol: ah well.

I'm with Tooj on this one. Between 2003 and 2006, Lampard was practically carrying England, he was fantastic. Gerrard's never really done that over a sustained time in my eyes. He'll pop up with the odd great game every now and again but he's never matched what Lampard did over that period.

You getting ol' Lamps and Rooney mixed up mate?

Guest palnese

The shape the leg goes though :scared:

Didn't even notice that at first. Thought Whelan was the one with #7 on his back :lol:

Dave Whelan

Just before half-time, the young left-back - nicknamed 'Crunch' Whelan by Rovers supporters in tribute to his robust tackling - went in for a challenge on Wolves winger Norman Deeley. In that fleeting moment, all would change.

"I knew immediately when he hit me that my leg was broken," says Whelan. "I was running at full pace - obviously you can't stop.

In an exclusive interview with ITV Sport, Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan told Gabriel Clarke that he is still bitter about the "high" tackle – "a foot over the ball" – by Wolves winger Norman Deeley that broke his leg in the 1960 FA Cup Final. Neither Wolves nor Deeley apologised for the incident.

"It was a tough game then, and I tackled Norman Deeley and tackled him rough and tough, and he retaliated by coming over the ball," Whelan said. "He did not intend to break my leg, but if you're going over the ball, there's always a chance."

“And I did. I got there seconds before Deeley. But that was when I realised he had no intention at all of racing me for that ball. He was going for me. As I was running I heard a loud crack and felt my knee suddenly burn with pain. ……I was in agony and I knew I was out of the game. Norman Deeley had got me good and proper.”

Now, has anyone actually seen the tackle? Not sure if I can post the link here but here it is anyway.

http://i.imgflip.com/1g0zv.gif

:lol:

I know, the lying old git. And he played on for six more years too, it didn't end his career. He probably thought no-one would check. :lol: