Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Corrigan

Do we think the club has done anything wrong if we don't get him though?

Yes.

For either failing to be able to stump up financially, or failing to get us into a position where we're an attractive proposition for him as a player.

Do we think the club has done anything wrong if we don't get him though? Isn't it just a case of better options being available for him?

Why would that be important?

Do we think the club has done anything wrong if we don't get him though? Isn't it just a case of better options being available for him?

Why would that be important?

Because people will complain that we should have got him. If they don't, fair enough.

That's the sort of thing that can only be answered in hindsight, imo.

/ If he goes somewhere for either A: a ridiculous fee, B: a ridiculous wage-packet, C: both - I would say the club are not only blameless, but probably sensible.

/ If he were to sign for someone similar/worse in stature to us - for a price that could be deemed reasonable - you would have to say we fucked up. Especially if he is a primary target.

Remy going to QPR would be an example of the top paragraph, Ince going to Cardiff (if that happens) would be an example of the bottom one. For a start-off, if it's Ince's fee were grumbling over, it would've been incredibly naive of us to expect a 'bargain' - given that £8m is simply the going rate for that sort of footballer.

/ If he goes somewhere for either A: a ridiculous fee, B: a ridiculous wage-packet, C: both - I would say the club are not only blameless, but probably sensible.

/ If he were to sign for someone similar/worse in stature to us - for a price that could be deemed reasonable - you would have to say we fucked up. Especially if he is a primary target.

Remy going to QPR would be an example of the top paragraph, Ince going to Cardiff (if that happens) would be an example of the bottom one. For a start-off, if it's Ince's fee were grumbling over, it would've been incredibly naive of us given that it's simply is the going rate for promising English players.

Oh yeah, I agree with that, I was assuming he was going to Dortmund.

I find myself developing a deep hatred for this guy already.

Think his agents are taking the piss, personally.

I'm not sure clubs that big will really be after him. He's relatively only coming to the fore just now.

They're basically keeping us hanging to get more out of us, before screwing us over at the last minute.

Remy going to QPR would be an example of the top paragraph, Ince going to Cardiff (if that happens) would be an example of the bottom one. For a start-off, if it's Ince's fee were grumbling over, it would've been incredibly naive of us given that it's simply is the going rate for promising English players.

Must confess that I haven't kept up to date with this saga in the slighest (nor any others, really, since Kinnear's arrival) - I just wanted to make a general point in response to your post. I didn't know he was allegedly off to Dortmund. You couldn't really blame the player or the club if he ended up there. Putting aside the megabucks of the Premier League, Germany's got to be the most attractive place to go and play your football these days. Never mind Dortmund in-particular, who are just ridiculously likeable.

Must confess that I haven't kept up to date with this saga in the slighest (nor any others, really, since Kinnear's arrival) - I just wanted to make a general point in response to your post. I didn't know he was allegedly off to Dortmund. You couldn't really blame the player or the club if he ended up there. Putting aside the megabucks of the Premier League, Germany's got to be the most attractive place to go and play your football these days. Never mind Dortmund in-particular, who are just ridiculously likeable.

I wasn't trying to defend not getting our targets in general, there are loads of situations where we should/could be making signings.

Not really, I never really thought we were serious contenders for his signature anyway, going by the interest in him by CL clubs. I would have been shocked if he'd ended up here tbh, one of the reasons I haven't really posted in this thread much.

Guest Geordiesned

A few on Twitter saying according to ASSE we didn't even submit a bid, was all from the French press. Anyone seen any confirmation?

Joe's been working on the bid but his searches on YouTube for Abbaman, Abzeebangbang and Agadoodoodoo didn't find any videos.

Guest WashyGeordie

I hope to god we are actually trying to get a good striker in.

Just like most of our signings they were all 'undercover'/out the way of the media so i hope it is under wraps and we are negotiating etc, but I've got a feeling with JFK replacing Llambias it won't be the case. :(

A few on Twitter saying according to ASSE we didn't even submit a bid, was all from the French press. Anyone seen any confirmation?

I wouldn't think so.

:lol: Why? I'd assume they are going off the word of the club, quotes etc. Helpful answer though :thup:

Well the entire transfer window is just a load of rumours, contradictory quotes and fabrication. Just not sure what you're expecting anyone to be able to confirm.

Guest Geordiesned

I hope to god we are actually trying to get a good striker in.

Just like most of our signings they were all 'undercover'/out the way of the media so i hope it is under wraps and we are negotiating etc, but I've got a feeling with JFK replacing Llambias it won't be the case. :(

I know what you mean. Kinnear strikes me as someone who couldn't keep a secret if his life depended upon it.

Wait till July, July, July it's all been Julieeeeeeees!!!

Do we think the club has done anything wrong if we don't get him though?

Yes.

For either failing to be able to stump up financially, or failing to get us into a position where we're an attractive proposition for him as a player.

Tbh we could offer what we want and sell the club as much as we want, but Borussia are simply more attractive. It's if we've got no alternative that's the problem.

If Newcastle know BD are massively in the hunt, surely it's best to look at other targets rather than try and compete with someone who is on a different scale to you. It's when the likes of Norwich/Swansea/Cardiff start taking very decent players who we could have done with start pissing me off. We are to them what BD are to us. (QPR/Remy being the exception, that was silly money being flung about).

Don't know if it's been mentioned but a Bild journo on Twitter states his (PEA's) Dad reckons 'there is not much standing in the way'.

EDIT: Here is a quickly hashed up story link - http://sportbild.bild.de/SPORT/bundesliga/vereine/borussia-dortmund/2013/07/pierre-emerick-aubameyang/bvb-will-stuermer-von-st-etienne.html

Be nice to sign a player that isn't shortened in to (excusing the blatant hypocrisy ^) an anagram or shortened nickname anyhoo.