What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This season could end really good if we can keep our momentum and spirit high. Some of the favourites/better teams like Man U, Tottenham and Liverpool seems to struggle a bit.

City, Arsenal and Chelsea will probably end in top 3. 4th place is there for the taking O0

If we are to finish 4-5th keywords will be organisation and team spirit like when we finished 5th.

Don't mean to pour cold water about but surely it's hard to say what quality the squad has until it's had a proper run out due to injuries/suspensions. Sometime around Feb/Mar i would think.

In the exception of cases in which there is extreme over/under performance, the league table isn't of much use until the 19th match, when everyone has played everyone. This gives you a fair idea of where the clubs really are in relation to each other.

Don't mean to pour cold water about but surely it's hard to say what quality the squad has until it's had a proper run out due to injuries/suspensions. Sometime around Feb/Mar i would think.

In the exception of cases in which there is extreme over/under performance, the league table isn't of much use until the 19th match, when everyone has played everyone. This gives you a fair idea of where the clubs really are in relation to each other.

The mackems would have you know that they will have played all the top teams at home, and all the lower table teams away and this is a huge disadvantage somehow, completely ignoring the fact they will now need to get points AWAY to the top teams and will have a number of MUST WIN home games against teams also fighting to avoid relegation.

We should be looking to at least qualify for Europe. Same as last season, same the season before that.

So at the very least, 5th?

I agree that it's something we should always aim for (though by the same token, I don't see why we shouldn't aim for the title), but I'd be staggered if we finish above Tottenham, or Man United, or the current top 4 in many seasons, especially considering the financial disparity between us.

Guest reefatoon

They should have been capable of playing really shit for a season, in the process, nearly get relegated and rid us of our diabolical manager.  The bastards came so close too!!!

think we will finish around 8th we lack quality in our fringe players, would be fairly happy with that though

I reckon our current bench matches anything outside what would be considered the top 6. My concern about finishing top 7 was I didn't think Pardew was up to it. If he keeps getting these types of results though there's nothing to stop us finishing ahead of one or two of that top 6, particularly if players keep playing as they can.

One forward away from top 4 challenge.

:spit:

Kinnear has done an astonishing job.

Doesn't mean getting there. Don't see any weak link in defence individually apart from maybe Santon.

There is a very pleasant dynamic to the different types of midfielders we possess, perhaps another winger could do.

If the manager sticks to doing the right things, we'd have the talent and depth to challenge if we weren't so reliant on Rémy. Especially with only the FA Cup bothering us.

I'd say CB, CF, Winger and if you are being greedy a creative CM would be enough.

Not going to happen in a million years.

Agreed I think a quality CB, CF and winger would give us a very good squad possibly even capable of challenging for a top 4 spot.  Like you say though that's not going to happen, certainly not in January (still hope we can get 1 or 2 though).

Speaking of adding to the squad.  I remember a few months ago when someone (hans?) was saying we needed a minimum of 7 new players including 5 first teamers to have a decent squad capable of challenging for Europe.

Should be aiming for the top 6. Although Newcastle never tend to be a moment away from meltdown.

The annoying thing is that no-one knows what will constitute Europe. 5th at least but whether it will go any further than that will depend on what happens in the cup competitions.

Crazy how much expectation has raised since our current winning streak. Before the season there was talk of relegation and another relegation battle on the cards. 13 games in and there's talk of boosting a couple of positions to challenge top 4 but we still should be in top 6.

Top 8 would be an excellent achievement giving how things turned out last year. Steadying the ship after last season is the main priority for me and we are on course of doing that.

Should be capable of yes, but then in reality at the start of the season, relegation battle was being talked about or another season like last. Come in here and our squad is capable of top 4 with a couple of extra signings. You could go in the relegationometer and there's more towards the side of relegation than there is no chance. I'm not really sure what the big factor is that sways people back and forth. The gap between opinions just seems too big. A squad capable of top 4 but in another thread we could get relegated.