What should this squad be capable of?

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do Tottenham fans think that Walker isn't anything special Leffe or is it just me? He seems like an inferior Glen Johnson but perhaps with a better shot on him. Yes he's ok going forward, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Johnson in that regard, yet because of his pace and stamina people think he's pretty good because he's up and down all game.

I also don't think he's very solid defensively and has lapses in concentration and is often caught out of position,

He looks pretty solid defensively to me. Dembele looked pretty impressive as well, I hadn't seen much of him previously.

(If Colo leaves)My hope for next season with regards to CBs is that we buy one CB to compete with Taylor and Mbiwa and one of the many kids we have that play CB are good enough to be 4th choice.

Surely its not too much to ask for one of them to come good?

That would be the ideal situation. Everything seems very quiet on the Douglas front and with him being a free I can definitely see us still hovering around that one. Especially if what Unbelievable has said about his agents etc is true.

Then hopefully Streete, Mbabu or Satka can push on as Satka seems to be highly rated. Although as Streete is a bit older he'd be the most likely one to feature.

I just can't see any of the kids being in that position so quickly. Look at Caulker - he had a successful season in League One, then one in the Championship, then one in the Premier League before coming into our squad. And he was England's centre-back throughout that time.

You have Inman at Crewe (League One), and Good at Bradford (League Two), plus a couple of guys in Scotland. I'd guess that the plan for Inman and Good would be to give them time in the Championship next year. It would be great to say that one of Satka etc would be ready to step up, but I think it's wildly unlikely, and definitely not something to count on.

Do Tottenham fans think that Walker isn't anything special Leffe or is it just me? He seems like an inferior Glen Johnson but perhaps with a better shot on him. Yes he's ok going forward, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Johnson in that regard, yet because of his pace and stamina people think he's pretty good because he's up and down all game.

I also don't think he's very solid defensively and has lapses in concentration and is often caught out of position,

No, we all think he should have been dropped a while ago. His basic technique is just not that great, and his reading of the game doesn't seem to be quite there. The consensus is that he still needs to learn a lot. That said, he still has time. I saw him in New York for pre-season a couple of years back and watched him closely, and was really, really impressed with his play at CB. He seemed to have a real feel for defending, which is why the last couple of years have been so disappointing.

That said, he's all right really. Just not as good as you'd like if you want to be in the top four every year. He's a fairly typical new English player - not enough of a footballing brain. We would have liked to see Naughton given at least a chance, but he's had to cover LB. And he's not necessarily the answer either. Adam Smith is on loan to Millwall, and was terrific for England U21s the other day. I think he's the best option next year, but again, he needs to develop his defensive game.

If Kaboul had been fit, I suspect we'd have seen a lot of him at RB. He's arguably our best CB, but Kaboul/Vertonghen/Caulker/BAE is a pretty shit-hot back four IMO.

With the players we've got at our disposal, we should really be looking at top 6/Europa League spots every season.

Our strongest starting line up essentially consists of full internationals and if they can't get us in the Europa League places (this is based on the assumption of us fielding a full strength line up every week), then something has gone wrong...

I really do believe that this is the strongest squad we've had in years, if it goes to waste, it's a massive opportunity lost.

With the players we've got at our disposal, we should really be looking at top 6/Europa League spots every season.

Our strongest starting line up essentially consists of full internationals and if they can't get us in the Europa League places (this is based on the assumption of us fielding a full strength line up every week), then something has gone wrong...

I really do believe that this is the strongest squad we've had in years.

...pretty much everyone else in the top eight (let's say that includes you, and the top seven right now)...

I'm sorry, did I say that? I meant the top six right now, plus yourselves, and maybe, just maybe, Liverpool. Hehehe.

Well maybe, although pretty much everyone else in the top eight (let's say that includes you, and the top seven right now) has a team of full internationals. Nobody ever fields a full-strength line-up every week. Something always goes wrong.

I think that failure to finish in the top eight next season would be, well, failure for you. Unless someone screws up massively (Rafa, Mancini) then the top three should be predictable. Thus you have 4th (fantastic), 5th (excellent), 6th, (good), 7th (probably par - you'd expect at least one of the eight to have a s**** season), 8th (disappointing). You'll have a chance to test yourself against Liverpool and Arsenal at home in a few weeks, which will give you a better idea of where you stand.

Again, I see you challenging for CL, and think that failure to do that for at least some of the season will be disappointing. There really isn't much to choose between the chasing five, and this summer's transfer action will be crucial in differentiating us.

I understand what you're saying. Things never go smoothly but I'd like to think that we can achieve a lot with this squad. Your assessment is pretty much bang on. Top 8 should be the bare minimum but 6th should be the goal every season for us. The AvB project seems to be working so we'll see if he can keep that going at yours.

Well maybe, although pretty much everyone else in the top eight (let's say that includes you, and the top seven right now) has a team of full internationals. Nobody ever fields a full-strength line-up every week. Something always goes wrong.

I think that failure to finish in the top eight next season would be, well, failure for you. Unless someone screws up massively (Rafa, Mancini) then the top three should be predictable. Thus you have 4th (fantastic), 5th (excellent), 6th, (good), 7th (probably par - you'd expect at least one of the eight to have a s**** season), 8th (disappointing). You'll have a chance to test yourself against Liverpool and Arsenal at home in a few weeks, which will give you a better idea of where you stand.

Again, I see you challenging for CL, and think that failure to do that for at least some of the season will be disappointing. There really isn't much to choose between the chasing five, and this summer's transfer action will be crucial in differentiating us.

I understand what you're saying. Things never go smoothly but I'd like to think that we can achieve a lot with this squad. Your assessment is pretty much bang on. Top 8 should be the bare minimum but 6th should be the goal every season for us. The AvB project seems to be working so we'll see if he can keep that going at yours.

Yeah. Ours is probably roughly: Above fourth (fantastic), fourth (excellent), fifth (good) etc. Point is, as long as we're challenging for fourth then you can't really criticize the players and manager all that much. All it would take would be a couple of injuries and, say, Arsenal going on a run, and it might be over. As long as AVB has us improving on the pitch, the kids are developing and part of the squad, and Levy has us improving on the pitch, then missing out on the CL isn't a tragedy.

I think in and around the EUropa league spots should be the minimum requirement. Anything more really dependes on outside factors. One of the 'big' clubs having an off year seems the only likely way to sneak in a champions league spot. As people said last year, the frustrating part is when you finish 5th and the team behind you spends 80 million during the summer.  It makes it hard to progress once you reach a certain point. As long as we can compete with similar clubs (Everton, Spurs, etc.) with this squad I'll be happy. Unless the shape of the league changes or we spend more money, it's hard to imagine achieving anything more.

I think in and around the EUropa league spots should be the minimum requirement. Anything more really dependes on outside factors. One of the 'big' clubs having an off year seems the only likely way to sneak in a champions league spot. As people said last year, the frustrating part is when you finish 5th and the team behind you spends 80 million during the summer.  It makes it hard to progress once you reach a certain point. As long as we can compete with similar clubs (Everton, Spurs, etc.) with this squad I'll be happy. Unless the shape of the league changes or we spend more money, it's hard to imagine achieving anything more.

The really frustrating part is when you finish fourth and the team behind the team behind you spawn their way to the CL. And then spends 80 million during the summer. On all the players you wanted to buy.

I can imagine, although had I been in your shoes I probably would have just quit sports completely after the Champions League final. Shit is just unfair, but I guess there are still plenty of clubs around that would love to be in either of our situations.

Glen Johnson is excellent tbh.

The really frustrating part is when you finish fourth and the team behind the team behind you spawn their way to the CL. And then spends 80 million during the summer. On all the players you wanted to buy.

Sorry for that, our fault :(

We should be capable of getting to the semis or final of this Waffa Cup campaign, with Ben Arfa coming into a vein of form for the final.... scoring a full field dribble and missile into top corner, giving newcastle and our adopted genius the media attention and plaudits we deserve!!

Pards will be smugness personified and will shag all and sundry in a debauched celebratory night on the tiles. :):):)

I can dream!

CBA to look for the actual squad depth chart thread (or whatever it's called), and this thread seems good enough:

Feel so much better about squad depth tonight in our full-back positions for the rest of this season. Haidara and Simpson coming in did great jobs, and I reckon both our first-choice and our cover players will both do better when they occasionally (or frequently, in the case of cover players) are given rests.

Top stuff this January window, maybe belatedly, but still.