Newcastle 1 - 0 Anzhi - 14/03/13 (1 - 0 on agg) post-match reaction from page 36

Dave

We can beat any of the teams left in the draw over two legs. I'd be gutted to get an English team, not because I fear losing, but because this now has the potential to go down in history as a great Geordie adventure in Europe.

We can beat any of the teams left in the draw over two legs. I'd be gutted to get an English team, not because I fear losing, but because this now has the potential to go down in history as a great Geordie adventure in Europe.

Would rather get an English team in the semi's or final

Anzhi looked twice the team compared to what we played last week IMO. They're a very good team and will get better and better, think they'll make it past the group stages of the Champions League next season.

Still pretty dire attacking play from us tbh.

So slow in the transitions, when we win the ball, we all know its 1-2 mins before we are up in attack.

All in all, a good performance over 2 legs, nearly exploded when Cisse scored, what a relief.

Still, we need a plan when we are attacking. This feels like last season. Win, but not impressive.

But its a hell of a lot better than playing bad, and lose  :lol:

The quarter final matches are on 4th and 11th April, so I assume the Fulham home match on Sat 6th will be moved to Sunday as well as the Mackem home match which is currently scheduled for Sat 13th @ 12.45 on Sky? Will it still get moved if it's scheduled for TV?

Looks like the Man City away match on 30th of Mar could be a write-off, I'd be happy to play a weakened team to keep our best players fit for the quarter final.

Elliot 8, Did what he did well, like his distribution.

Santon 8, Defended well got forward well, just his final ball let him down.

MYM 8, Composed and defended well, gave the ball away cheaply once which could have cost us.

Taylor 10, Fantastic game from Tayls, blocked, tackled and passed it very well tonight. MOTM.

Haidara 8, Same as Santon.

Tiote 7, Tenacious as always, but too often was caught in possesion.

Cabaye 6, Went off too early to give a proper mark.

Anita 7, Kept it ticking over nicely and showed decent feet at times.

Marveaux 9, Our biggest attacking threat, always willing to take players on and his ball in was superb.

Sissoko 8, Love his lung-busting runs from deep, also tracked back well.

Cisse 8, Another quiet game, but worked hard and got his reward.

Subs:

Jonas 9, Played really well i thought, kept the ball well and defended well as per.

Campbell 7, Looked lively and a willing runner.

Stupendously generous ratings there IMO, ben-nufc!

It's a happy night though, so understandable. We're in the quarters of a (real) cup competition (that isn't on my Playstation 3). Forgot what this feels like.

MYM 8, Composed and defended well, gave the ball away cheaply once which could have cost us.

Taylor 10, Fantastic game from Tayls, blocked, tackled and passed it very well tonight. MOTM.

Marveaux 9, Our biggest attacking threat, always willing to take players on and his ball in was superb.

Subs:

Jonas 9, Played really well i thought, kept the ball well and defended well as per.

I would like to see your ratings when we actually play some good football  :lol:

Stupendously generous ratings there IMO, ben-nufc!

It's a happy night though, so understandable. We're in the quarters of a (real) cup competition (that isn't on my Playstation 3). Forgot what this feels like.

Subs:

I would like to see your ratings when we actually play some good football  :lol:

Might have to revise them in the morning, haha!. But in all seriousness, i thought allthough we created little in terms of clear cut chances, we worked very hard tonight and ground out a tremendous result.