Manchester City 4 - 0 Newcastle United - 30/03/13 - post-match reaction from p34

Dave

FWIW Ben Arfa and Cisse turned our season into a good one last season, otherwise we would've finished mid-table. Pardew was punching above his weight because of the players he had at his disposal and their form. He is not a manager for the long term and anyone who knows football knows this. The fact that he is a likeable character at times is what is keeping the fans from turning against him completely.

FWIW Ben Arfa and Cisse turned our season into a good one last season, otherwise we would've finished mid-table. Pardew was punching above his weight because of the players he had at his disposal and their form. He is not a manager for the long term and anyone who knows football knows this. The fact that he is a likeable character at times is what is keeping the fans from turning against him completely.

Hold on, were we outside the top 6 at any stage last season?

That's a fair point Yorkie.

My parting shot opinion: I'd rather twist and (figuratively!) go bust, than stick with (what is IMO) near-certain mediocrity or worse. Circling the drain with Pardew (the drain being either relegation, or the loss of Cabaye, HBA, Krul, Sissoko over time...).

:thup: Fair dos.

Either way... I think there's absolutely zero, zilch, nada chance of the board sacking him any time soon.

7th was the lowest we ever were.

I think that's me done. Not trying to be an arse, but I dunno if I can be f***ed debating with people who are claiming 'fact' over the most subjective of things.

My opinion on Pardew's Newcastle career, in a nutshell, is:

Great last season. s*** this season. Should be backed in the summer and given until Christmas at the earliest.

Regarding his long-term credentials as Newcastle manager, I'm undecided.

I will admit that part of the reason why I think we should keep him is actually detached from the man himself: I simply can't be f***ed with putting my trust in the board to get somebody better. I know that's a conservative viewpoint but you can understand the trepidation with regards to a replacement.

How many people other than you or people who have quoted you have used 'fact' in a post?

I think that's me done. Not trying to be an arse, but I dunno if I can be f***ed debating with people who are claiming 'fact' over the most subjective of things.

Great last season. s*** this season. Should be backed in the summer and given until Christmas at the earliest.

I will admit that part of the reason why I think we should keep him is actually detached from the man himself: I simply can't be f***ed with putting my trust in the board to get somebody better. I know that's a conservative viewpoint but you can understand the trepidation with regards to a replacement.

How many people other than you or people who have quoted you have used 'fact' in a post?

You, 'Polic and Felipao have all said it was fact/beyond question/'the truth', pedant. ;)

We had one win in eight after our great start and then the season started to turn when Benny came into the side. Whether you like it or not, the Man U game was a fluke, beating them 3-0 with Raylor, Shola wasn't due to Pardew as he ain't god and they were in bad shape when they played us. We then won couple of games and then went on four games without a win before Benny and Cisse went on a run.

Without those two we wouldn't have finished top 6...

I think that's me done. Not trying to be an arse, but I dunno if I can be fucked debating with people who are claiming 'fact' over the most subjective of things.

Great last season. Shit this season. Should be backed in the summer and given until Christmas at the earliest.

I will admit that part of the reason why I think we should keep him is actually detached from the man himself: I simply can't be fucked with putting my trust in the board to get somebody better. I know that's a conservative viewpoint but you can understand the trepidation with regards to a replacement.

Fair enough, I'm honestly not on the wind-up though mate - by my own standards of watching us for 20 years, the quality of football we've played under Pardew has been pretty dreadful.  You're right in saying that's my opinion rather than fact (or "true", which is what I said) so I apologise for that I suppose but nobody's going to convince me otherwise.

We had one win in eight after our great start and then the season started to turn when Benny came into the side. Whether you like it or not, the Man U game was a fluke, beating them 3-0 with Raylor, Shola wasn't due to Pardew as he ain't god and they were in bad shape when they played us. We then won couple of games and then went on four games without a win before Benny and Cisse went on a run.

Seriously? Come on - that's beyond harsh imo. That was one of the most complete performances I can remember since Bobby - pretty much everyone was exceptional and we barely gave them a sniff.

You, 'Polic and Felipao have all said it was fact/beyond question/'the truth', pedant. ;)

So that's nobody then.  :lol:

Oh bore off. You knew exactly what I meant - I wasn't quoting anyone to the word.

That's a fair point Yorkie.

My parting shot opinion: I'd rather twist and (figuratively!) go bust, than stick with (what is IMO) near-certain mediocrity or worse. Circling the drain with Pardew (the drain being either relegation, or the loss of Cabaye, HBA, Krul, Sissoko over time...).

:thup: Fair dos.

Either way... I think there's absolutely zero, zilch, nada chance of the board sacking him any time soon.

Again, I think they might sack him.  They must be fed up with it by now, they're doing a better job off the pitch than he's doing on it.

Seriously? Come on - that's beyond harsh imo. That was one of the most complete performances I can remember since Bobby - pretty much everyone was exceptional and we barely gave them a sniff.

It was a fluke man. We giving such a performance was a fluke, we had nowhere near showed that quality during the whole season. We were in a completely different level than we've been before like you said. I don't mean it was a fluke in the way that we won, it was a fluke in the way that we managed to put such a perfomance in.

It was a fluke man. We giving such a performance was a fluke, we had nowhere near showed that quality during the whole season. We were in a completely different level than we've been before like you said. I don't mean it was a fluke in the way that we won, it was a fluke in the way that we managed to put such a perfomance in.

Give your head a shake, man. There's no arguing with loops like you.

Calling me a loop man, look at that. Seriously, if you're that miserable that you enjoy the way we play fair enough, but I know me and many others don't enjoy it. Truth is you can't see much football outside of Newcastle because your view on things is embarrassing. We are a bigger club than Stoke and Norwich, yet we play at the same level as them and are below them in the league. It's embarrassing that supporters can actually still think Pardew might be a good manager. He's a likeable guy and I wish him all the best, but he has to go, now or the end of the season.

People said we should never had let Nolan go when he left, or Carroll or Barton. Look at what we achieved last season without them. We can achieve the same without Pardew too, trust me.

Calling me a loop man, look at that. Seriously, if you're that miserable that you enjoy the way we play fair enough, but I know me and many others don't enjoy it. Truth is you can't see much football outside of Newcastle because your view on things is embarrassing. We are a bigger club than Stoke and Norwich, yet we play at the same level as them and are below them in the league. It's embarrassing that supporters can actually still think Pardew might be a good manager. He's a likeable guy and I wish him all the best, but he has to go, now or the end of the season.

People said we should never had let Nolan go when he left, or Carroll or Barton. Look at what we achieved last season without them. We can achieve the same without Pardew too, trust me.

You're saying our 3-0 win against Man United last season is a fluke when he comprehensively outplayed them and Pardew's tactics were central to that (starting Raylor over HBA, for example. Something I criticised him for pre-match). Don't be bloody stupid man.

I don't mind criticism of Pardew if it's legitimate but give the man credit where it's due. It's hard to take you seriously when you chalk every single positive result under him down to an inordinate amount of luck.

You're saying our 3-0 win against Man United last season is a fluke when he comprehensively outplayed them and Pardew's tactics were central to that (starting Raylor over HBA, for example. Something I criticised him for pre-match). Don't be bloody stupid man.

I don't mind criticism of Pardew if it's legitimate but give the man credit where it's due. It's hard to take you seriously when you chalk every single positive result under him down to an inordinate amount of luck.

But if Pardew's tactics were central to us outplaying them, why didn't he persist with those fabulous tactics that beat the second best team in the league quite comfortably. I just don't see how a manager who is able to set out a team in such a mastermind way can also manage to lose to Fulham 5-2 couple of weeks later?

Credit where it's due, Pardew did a great job setting us out defensively last season and he is still capable of that, my main criticism is he has no creativity offensively whatsoever and relied heavily on our players to produce blinders last season. You can't argue against that, and I don't think we should accept that as supporters of this fabulous club.

I was at Allianz Arena today and saw Bayern score 9 on Hamburg, I'm obviously not comparing us to Bayern, but they were set out in a way that I'd love to see us play. Their four attacking players were basically hugging their four defenders while pushing their fullbacks forward. What really amazed me though was that when Hamburg tried the same they basically only moved one winger down and kept Kroos, Pizarro and Robben up top making Hamburgs tactics counterproductive as they weren't confident enough. I'd love Pardew to have some balls, let Sissoko, Cisse and Benny or Gouffran stay up top when other teams are attacking and try to win possession fast to counter. Because the way we are set out at the moment is ridiculous. Our wingers falls deeper than our fullbacks to help them out. All I'm asking for is for Pardew to have some cojones.

But if Pardew's tactics were central to us outplaying them, why didn't he persist with those fabulous tactics that beat the second best team in the league quite comfortably. I just don't see how a manager who is able to set out a team in such a mastermind way can also manage to lose to Fulham 5-2 couple of weeks later?

Credit where it's due, Pardew did a great job setting us out defensively last season and he is still capable of that, my main criticism is he has no creativity offensively whatsoever and relied heavily on our players to produce blinders last season. You can't argue against that, and I don't think we should accept that as supporters of this fabulous club.

I was at Allianz Arena today and saw Bayern score 9 on Hamburg, I'm obviously not comparing us to Bayern, but they were set out in a way that I'd love to see us play. Their four attacking players were basically hugging their four defenders while pushing their fullbacks forward. What really amazed me though was that when Hamburg tried the same they basically only moved one winger down and kept Kroos, Pizarro and Robben up top making Hamburgs tactics counterproductive as they weren't confident enough. I'd love Pardew to have some balls, let Sissoko, Cisse and Benny or Gouffran stay up top when other teams are attacking and try to win possession fast to counter. Because the way we are set out at the moment is ridiculous. Our wingers falls deeper than our fullbacks to help them out. All I'm asking for is for Pardew to have some cojones.

There isn't a one size fits all tactic. It's not Football Manager. Pardew went direct that game and it worked very well. We caused Man United all sorts of problems. Losing against Fulham a few days later (when we'd lost two of our most important players to the ANC) doesn't mean he lucked in against Man United.

If there isn't a one size fits all tactic, why does Pardew insist in setting his team the same week in week out? :lol: I've got enough of this, I've made my point clear in why I criticize Pardew. For me it's obvious, but we obviously have two different views on how it should be played. If I ever see you criticizing the way Stoke, Norwich or anyone else plays I will re-direct you to this thread.

I didn't even watch the game today, but to see Gosling and Perch subbing in for Perch and Gouffran says it all to me. Especially as Campbell and Marv stayed on the bench..

Why are you talking about it at length then?

Pet hate, this.