Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Deflating defeat tonight - it's frustrating to see a gameplan work, only to be undone by two silly mistakes. Make no mistake, Benfica deserved the win but it doesn't necessarily mean they would have. A few players were anonymous tonight but I was impressed with Cisse, Sissoko and Marveaux. Krul had a few nervy moments and could be blamed for the 1st - I personally don't think MYM was at fault.

We started off in a non-Pardew way, which made us look threatening and purposeful. Then we had some terrible luck with hitting the post, which turned the game. Santon had a catastrophic moment which may turn out to be pivotal, as well as Taylor repeating his sniper routine.

It felt great to be back in a european quarter-final, in a great stadium and against a great european name. Nights like this are what it's all about. We've got the final (probably) one next Thursday at SJP and I reckon the atmosphere will be spectacular. 2-0 can be done, without doubt, and maybe this deficit will force us to loosen the shackles. Maybe we'll play like we should do. With a bit of belief, a bit of quality and a great Geordie crowd behind them, I wouldn't like to bet against us.

But we really need to beat Fulham first.

Guest ItalianMagpie

Is it that we won only 3 games by more than one goal margin the whole season in all competitions (Bordeaux, Wigan, Soton)? :neutral:

Just got home after being "kettled".

Anyone still think Benfica are world beaters? They were very average again.

Unfortunately we were shite .

No, but I don't think they were average. I thought they were a good team for the standards of a European QF, albeit not brilliant.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Is it that we won only 3 games by more than one goal margin the whole season in all competitions (Bordeaux, Wigan, Soton)? :neutral:

http://www.dyeremergency.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/excellent.jpg

Unfortunately we were s**** .

How were we shit? individual moments at both ends cost us but in the main i don't agree we were shit again.

I don't think they are world beaters no but they are a good side and did what good sides do and took advantage of our lapses in concentration.

One of the best in Europe according to Pardew

They are dog toffee, shame we couldn't give them a game.

Not sure who to blame, depressing.

Stop using those names.

You lack sophistication.

:lol:

Classic reaction. I get you're pissed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

But yes, can totally see why you'd be pissed off at how the goals came about.

Stop using those names.

You lack sophistication.

Ok cheers.

:lol:

Classic reaction. I get you're p*ssed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

But yes, can totally see why you'd be p*ssed off at how the goals came about.

I watch them every week and don't rate them, I think a decent team would take them to the cleaners.

In my opinion they are very average, bar a couple of stupid mistakes we could have been set tonight so yes I am frustrated.

Guest Benfica_1904

Lol, we played without our (maybe) 4 best players: Salvio, Lima, Enzo, and Maxi!

Lets wait to 2nd leg. I can bet with you that you won't win the game.

And take a look at this: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2014.html

in next year we will be the 6th best Team in Europe! We'll be in pote 1. So Benfica isn't very average, we are really a good team  :)

Yeah, Benfica are leading Porto by 4 points at the moment and you can't do that without being decent at least. Benfica passed us off the park (when they actually felt like doing it) and if they had someone like Cisse playing for them this tie would have ended with a pretty embarrassing scoreline.

Having said that we competed quite well until Santon's blooper.

We were without 5 first team players and made a decent account of ourselves at the SoL which is very pleasing, they're quite clearly the far superior footballing side though and are probably a lot better than they showed today. I still cannot get over the difference in footballing philosophies from both managers, even though this was one of our better days in that regard.

Lol, we played without our (maybe) 4 best players: Salvio, Lima, Enzo, and Maxi!

Tbf we played without Debuchy, Coloccini, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Gouffran... 5 of our best players

So in that case we are even  O0

Anyway as said before we lost this game because we made individual errors at the back and Cisse was a bit unlucky in front of goal and like any good team and Benfica are a good team they took advantage of this errors and missed opportunities.

I'm disappointed because the goals felt like we shot ourselves in the foot but Benfica did deserve to win.

Tie isn't over yet though.

And take a look at this: http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2014.html

in next year we will be the 6th best Team in Europe! We'll be in pote 1. So Benfica isn't very average, we are really a good team  :)

Lima played and scored  :lol:

Anyway Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Debuchy, Gouffran & Tiote were all out or unavailable so that argument doesn't really hold up. Ben Arfa being out for us is pretty much the footballing equivalent of Peter North losing his bollocks.

Guest Benfica_1904

Tbf we played without Debuchy, Coloccini, Tiote, Ben Arfa and Gouffran... 5 of our best players

So in that case we are even  O0

Anyway as said before we lost this game because we made individual errors at the back and Cisse was a bit unlucky in front of goal and like any good team and Benfica are a good team they took advantage of this errors and missed opportunities.

I'm disappointed because the goals felt like we shot ourselves in the foot but Benfica did deserve to win.

Tie isn't over yet though.

yeah completely agree. The tie is "open"....

Hey United fans.

My view of the game:

N. United impressed me in the first half, not really good at defending but great in the counter attack. Cisse, Gutierrez and Sissoko are top class. Krul made an amazing game aswell. Thats it for an unlucky United.

Benfica dissapointed me  :huff:, the defending was horrible, every long ball to Cisse meant danger and when we were attacking we were a bit clumsy with the ball (maybe due to the heavy rain that fell b4 the match). Andre Gomes has a good future but he didn't made a good game which meant that Matic would have to play for 2 players, him and Enzo Perez in the center midfield. Ola John seemed a bit lazy and Melgarejo's side was literally a hole. In the 2nd half we played better (also due to the subs.) but still not good enough for me. Gaitán on the other hand made a very decent game. Anyways we did a good result despite the not so impressive exhibition and that's what matters.

At the end of the game both team's fans applauded each other and that was a good highlight for me aswell.  :)

Guest Benfica_1904

Lima played and scored  :lol:

Anyway Ben Arfa, Coloccini, Debuchy, Gouffran & Tiote were all out or unavailable so that argument doesn't really hold up. Ben Arfa being out for us is pretty much the footballing equivalent of Peter North losing his bollocks.

yes, but he got in at 60 mins... if our coach had put him in the starting xi, maybe he could score more. but our coach preferred to save him for our league game  :dave: