Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Anyone else thinks that it should have been Campbell that should have come on for Marveaux? Think it would have been as well had we not conceded.

Well aye, Shola was an intentionally negative sub. If he wanted to sit on the 1-3 (which he did, and I'm not going to berate him for even if I disagree), Campbell wasn't the guy to bring on.

Haven't had this feeling of frustration and all round rotten feeling in the pit of my stomach for a long time.

This defeat hurts, more than i thought it would.

Well you say that, but it's only been a couple of weeks since the Wigan game. Completely different rotten feeling, but still a fucking shite defeat.

Decent summary here:

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/8617856/F365-Says

It sounded like awfully big talk before a clash against a side who have scored more than 100 goals this season (including 18 in their last four games) and only been beaten at home by Barcelona this season, but Alan Pardew looked like a man who had done his homework - and quite possibly had it laminated - as he stood at the side of the Estadio da Luz pitch.

"We hope to knock them out of their stride. We picked a team to get that goal," he said. After two minutes in which Newcastle had already exploited Benfica's high defensive line, his plan seemed to have potential. After 12 minutes and with a 1-0 lead, it looked like genius. After 23 minutes in which the all-conquering Portuguese side had been panicked by the movement of Papiss Cisse, Pardew must have been thinking that this management lark is easier than it looks. Even at half-time with a 1-1 scoreline, he will have been quietly satisfied. That would certainly do.

Newcastle have reached this stage of the Europa League thanks to a 'thou shalt not pass' mentality which has reaped little excitement but a great deal of unexpected success. They tried the same tactic at Manchester City on Saturday and fell way short against the excellence of David Silva, Samir Nasri and Carlos Tevez. Pardew admitted they had lacked 'ambition' in that clash; they offered nothing and came away with a salutary pasting. They could not afford to lack ambition against Benfica.

To that end, they pressed high and constantly sought to get the ball behind a largely untested defence using the pace of Sylvain Marveaux, the vision of Jonas Gutierrez and the power of Moussa Sissoko. It worked. Cisse had four very good chances in the Estadio da Luz and there are few opposition strikers who can lay claim to that statistic this season.

Pardew and Arsene Wenger are far from the best of friends but the Frenchman will surely have felt some sympathy for the francophile on Thursday evening as all his best-laid plans went to waste at the feet and hands of his defence. As Wenger knows only too well, you simply cannot legislate for a suicidal back pass from your full-back or an outstretched arm from your handball-prone centre-half (the 'ouch, my balls' reaction was no more convincing than the 'ouch, my chest' reaction of yesteryear, Steven).

There is a little E in a red circle that appears next to a player's name on our favourite statistical site WhoScored.com when he makes an error that leads to a goal. There have been rather a lot of Es next to Arsenal players' names over the last few seasons and on Thursday it was the turn of Newcastle with both Santon and Taylor getting the little red circle treatment.

Unfortunately for Newcastle fans who are desperate for a first trophy since 1969, teams prone to individual errors are not prone to winning silverware. You have to feel sorry for them and for a manager who approached the game in exactly the right way.

Haven't had this feeling of frustration and all round rotten feeling in the pit of my stomach for a long time.

Well you say that, but it's only been a couple of weeks since the Wigan game. Completely different rotten feeling, but still a f***ing s**** defeat.

O0 :)

That's football, but fortunately there are things way more important.

Guest Recrutazer0

You guys had a lot of confidence, but the reality is that there is a big difference in quality of teams!!!

:naughty:

I know it was covered earlier, but got to put another shout in for Simpson. That through ball to Sissoko was absolutely inch perfect - a really wonderful pass and I can't recall him ever playing one as good as that.

Sissoko's timing and delivery of the cross was impeccable too. It was an excellent goal... for us to score within seconds of being in our own half (without the aid of a flukey long ball)... that's unheard of for us. See, we are capable.

Guest Spark

Couldn't help but start really dreaming of Amsterdam after Cissé's goal. It's still not over, but it's a right kick in the bollocks to see us fuck it up with daft mistakes yet again.

Well you say that, but it's only been a couple of weeks since the Wigan game. Completely different rotten feeling, but still a f***ing s**** defeat.

If we got something out of it like i think we would have done before Santon's moment :anguish: it could have led to something very historic.... a trophy.

Wigan as much as it hurt for different reasons i don't think compares in the grand scheme of things.

Urgh, gut wrenching.

Hopefully we can nick an early one next thursday to give the crowd a lift, a 4-4-esque type atmosphere would be brilliant.

I know Taylor was fucking embarrassing for his acting again, but i lay the blame squarely with Santon, young or not, that was fucking stupid and it knocked the stuffing out of us, leading to continuous pressure.  Jonas/Sissoko/Cisse/Krul/Marveaux were all immense for us, thought MYM looked shakey throughout and Cabaye was anonymous, which surprised me, thought he'd be bang up for it :(

We were playing well, pressing them as Pardew said, think he got it right tonight, apart from the Shola sub again (WTF?). Hurts that it was down to individual errors after hitting the post twice, in all honesty I think Cisse should have buried the second chance.  Anyway, roll on next Thursday, although it's not the scoreline I hoped to bring back.

Gouffran, Debuchy, Hatem man....imagine.

You guys had a lot of confidence, but the reality is that there is a big difference in quality of teams!!!

I think you guys just read what you want to read, personally. Most on here were realistic about our chances/the abilities of our teams and were generally accepting of the probable outcome of the tie.

I know it was covered earlier, but got to put another shout in for Simpson. That through ball to Sissoko was absolutely inch perfect - a really wonderful pass and I can't recall him ever playing one as good as that.

Sissoko's timing and delivery of the cross was impeccable too. It was an excellent goal... for us to score within seconds of being in our own half (without the aid of a flukey long ball)... that's unheard of for us. See, we are capable.

I was convinced that was Marveaux at first, one of the passes of the season from us :lol:

Couldn't help but start really dreaming of Amsterdam after Cissé's goal. It's still not over, but it's a right kick in the bollocks to see us fuck it up with daft mistakes yet again.

I was fully planning my Amsterdam trip when I went for my half-time piss. :lol: Ridiculous how hope can just grab a hold of you like that.

Was full on all "ah man, I've got to go - even if I don't get a ticket. I need to be amongst everyone when we've won this bastard", with such conviction too. :lol:

I think you guys just read what you want to read, personally. Most on here were realistic about our chances/the abilities of our teams and were generally accepting of the probable outcome of the tie.

They were also at home and needed the post & linesman's aid as well as the opposition to gift them 2 goals.

Couldn't help but start really dreaming of Amsterdam after Cissé's goal. It's still not over, but it's a right kick in the bollocks to see us f*** it up with daft mistakes yet again.

I was fully planning my Amsterdam trip when I went for my half-time p*ss. :lol: Ridiculous how hope can just grab a hold of you like that.

Was full on all "ah man, I've got to go - even if I don't get a ticket. I need to be amongst everyone when we've won this b******", with such conviction too. :lol:

Hahahaha dude.

When we lost to Liverpool, the final was hosted in Hamburg.

I remember next morning I got out to work, completely shattered, and the first time I have to stop in an intersection is right behind a truck saying "Hamburg Logistics" ... FUCK MY LIFE.

Guest Spark

I was fully planning my Amsterdam trip when I went for my half-time piss. :lol: Ridiculous how hope can just grab a hold of you like that.

Was full on all "ah man, I've got to go - even if I don't get a ticket. I need to be amongst everyone when we've won this bastard", with such conviction too. :lol:

Haha exactly the same as me and my mate. Fuck's sake. We should know better by now...

Guest andrer2926

They were also at home and needed the post & linesman's aid as well as the opposition to gift them 2 goals.

i think we didnt see the same game...lol

Clearly not.

Clearly not.

And it begins...

Let it go you two  O0

Guest neesy111

Still though, as I said I envy their style of play, it's fucking great to watch.

Their fans get entertained as least, good attacking football.

Was funny when Garay did a single hoof clearance and the crowd jeered it. :lol:

Haha exactly the same as me and my mate. Fuck's sake. We should know better by now...

:lol: Like an honest conversation about the logistics of planning the trip? My Dad and I were the same.

Like I say, it's so daft how hope absolutely takes over. It's nice, like. Assures me that I'll never give up on the game, in spite of my personal issues with it these days.

Hadn't really thought about this, but just saw it mentioned on Twitter....but there's little difference between tonight's result or a 0-1 loss. I think had it been the latter then the mood would be much more positive. That away goal really could be the difference.