Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

hi there, 1st post on this forum. Props to newcastle fans :)

benfica had a bad start, i think the reason for us to have some problems was André Gomes, in start 11. When u play with only 2 guys on the midfield, they have to bring supreme coordination and tactical approach. He is a fine player, however very young and much to learn. Not ready for this type of games yet i think. Benfica showed better after Enzo Perez sub( usual starter), who works perfectly siding with matic. With this two man in the midfield, i believe u dont stand much of a chance in SJP.

Even with this ( and other ) changes, i expected more from newcastle. The referee....well. I wont even talk about him.

I expect some more football in your home match. Good luck!

Why not?

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

Every club agrees with that.

This cup is nowhere near as important as the old UEFA Cup was.

When the last trophy you have won is as far back as 1969, every cup is important. That's why, considering the  chances we had and the goals we gave to you on a plate, that this is so so disappointing.

You think I don't feel your pain? 1962 here.

We had so much luck today. No doubts about that.

We haven't won anything since 69, never mind a European Cup!  :sad:

Guest bimpy474

63:46 - Attacking throw-in by Jonas Gutierrez(Newcastle).

64:07 - Defending throw-in by Andre Almeida(Benfica).

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

:anguish: :anguish: :anguish:

It wasn't a foul throw as such, jonas was told to take further back more than once but took it way further forward than where it was meant to be so the ref gave them the throw.

Was that the foul throw? I didnt even see it properly there wasn't a replay.

Cheers Ujpest :thup:

Bimpy saw it right, I was too busy spitting bile.

It was for nicking yards (just looked again), infurating thing is, their player does the same and Pardew points it out but the ref just plays on.

You can't stop one side and then let the other get away with the same thing.

Lose v Fulham and I'd wave the white flag before next Thursday sadly as the Mackems game becomes our most important for a few years.  Preserving our league status has to be priority now imo.

If we lose against Fulham, it's even more important to get a result on Thursday to get some confidence back. As was said before this game, rather confident players than "fresh" players.

Disagree.  Robson did this 11 years back v Kiev, rested quite a few players for the derby game, worked out in our favour.

Going by what Pardew has been saying all season, he agrees with you, I don't though.

Looking at our results since we got the new players in January, we had good results after the Kharkiv and first Anzhi games, then that c*** of a game against Wigan knocked the wind out of sails.

I was in Orebro twice. Swedish people are just lovely and great.

Cheers :lol: What the hell were you doing in Örebro mind?

Working for Banverket :-) Mobile phone systems.

PEOPLE IN SWEDEN ARE SO NICE.

THE SNOW IS ANNOYING THO.

PEOPLE LIKE TO HAVE SEX - EVERYWHERE -

Who was the Benfica player that pretended do be injured when he scuffed his shot and they were all shouting for a free kick? :lol:

It was Matic, but I don't think it was simulation as such. Stubbed his foot in the ground which can wreck if you jar your whole leg.

64:55 - Goal by Rodrigo Lima(Benfica) right-footed (bottom-left of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Benfica 2-1 Newcastle.

It wasn't a foul throw as such, jonas was told to take further back more than once but took it way further forward than where it was meant to be so the ref gave them the throw.

It was for nicking yards (just looked again), infurating thing is, their player does the same and Pardew points it out but the ref just plays on.

Never seen a throw in being given to the other team for stealing yards before ???

Guest bimpy474

Never seen a throw in being given to the other team for stealing yards before ???

Happens a fair bit, especially if the taker has been warned (as Jonas was being).

Guest andrer2926

benfica had a bad start, i think the reason for us to have some problems was André Gomes, in start 11. When u play with only 2 guys on the midfield, they have to bring supreme coordination and tactical approach. He is a fine player, however very young and much to learn. Not ready for this type of games yet i think. Benfica showed better after Enzo Perez sub( usual starter), who works perfectly siding with matic. With this two man in the midfield, i believe u dont stand much of a chance in SJP.

Even with this ( and other ) changes, i expected more from newcastle. The referee....well. I wont even talk about him.

Why not?

my opinion is that he was very forgiving when it came to cards given to newcastle players. To benficas, well, not that much.

Just a general, optimistic point... if we can somehow get through next week - I'd honestly fancy us to go the whole way. Why the hell not? Benfica certainly aren't beyond us at this stage, but it's an absolutely mammoth task against a great side, and will take an unreal performance. If we manage it, it'll be an enormous victory and should give us all the confidence we need.

I can see us being more up for it than Chelsea, for example, were we to draw them in the semis.

A boy can dream. :smitten:

Why not?

my opinion is that he was very forgiving when it came to cards given to newcastle players. To benficas, well, not that much.

:lol:

My mates are arguing with me claiming we were "just unlucky" tonight, I'm sorry but I don't see how people can see it that way?

Whats unlucky about Santon fucking up and playing a suicide ball to the keeper, its bad awareness and bad judgement but not unlucky!

Whats unlucky about Steven Taylor moving his arm into the the flight of the ball? Again bad judgement.... we weren't unlucky at all, our poor decisions and poor play ultimately cost us what was looking like a respectable result.

Just a general, optimistic point... if we can somehow get through next week - I'd honestly fancy us to go the whole way. Why the hell not? Benfica certainly aren't beyond us at this stage, but it's an absolutely mammoth task against a great side, and will take an unreal performance. If we manage it, it'll be an enormous victory and should give us all the confidence we need.

I can see us being more up for it than Chelsea, for example, were we to draw them in the semis.

No reason at all why we can't score past these in front of a full house at St James'. We just need to go for it as they're technically the perfect kind of side for us to play.

Obviously them scoring in return will be a factor but I'm not thinking about that, Krul to play a blinder :lol:

My mates are arguing with me claiming we were "just unlucky" tonight, I'm sorry but I don't see how people can see it that way?

Whats unlucky about Santon fucking up and playing a suicide ball to the keeper, its bad awareness and bad judgement but not unlucky!

Whats unlucky about Steven Taylor moving his arm into the the flight of the ball? Again bad judgement.... we weren't unlucky at all, our poor decisions and poor play ultimately cost us what was looking like a respectable result.

Well it's unlucky for the team because they're freak mistakes by individuals. Obviously the incidents themselves have nothing to do with luck.

No reason at all why we can't score past these in front of a full house at St James'. We just need to go for it as they're technically the perfect kind of side for us to play.

Obviously them scoring in return will be a factor but I'm not thinking about that, Krul to play a blinder :lol:

How amazing would it be if we got through? It'd be an absolutely awesome achievement at this stage.

Shit, I am absolutely pumped for the second leg already. Really hope we cane Fulham cos we're going to need three points there if Pardew's gonna allow us to go hell-for-leather against Benfica.

Guest neesy111

The best teams don't make mistakes and punish those who do.  Poor teams opposite way around.

Just the way the cookie crumbles.

People must be more optimistic than on here because tickets are selling like billy-o for the home leg, even at this hour.

Atmosphere will be immense if we score early doors.

I wouldn't back us to beat Reading by 2 or more goals at home, myself :lol:

I'd barely fancy us to beat our seven-a-side by 2 goals. And we are fucking gash, even for a seven-a-side team :laugh: