Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

They were the superior team but all of their goals were handed to them by poor defensive mistakes and lapses in concentration. Sort that out and we are more than capable of getting the two goals we need against them.

Their first wasn't really gifted imo, MYM should have done better but can't take anything away from .. erm, whoever scored, he wanted it more.

They were the superior team but all of their goals were handed to them by poor defensive mistakes and lapses in concentration. Sort that out and we are more than capable of getting the two goals we need against them.

Their first wasn't really gifted imo, MYM should have done better but can't take anything away from .. erm, whoever scored, he wanted it more.

Krul should have pushed it wider and MYM reacted too slowly.

The PL is shit and overrated, but to say Benfica wouldn't finish in the top half? :lol: They are a good attacking side who pass and move well and have a clinical goalscorer in Oscar Cardozo. I don't watch them often, but they played a high line against us, which makes sense considering Cisse's awful offside trait and the fact that we struggle to keep the ball under pressure, often resorting to hoofing it/losing possession. However, it was obvious at times that they didn't have the pace to execute such a high line with their slow defenders.

Despite that we should be disappointed with the manner of the loss, it was ours to lose and that we did.

We've conceded 58 goals. That's nearly 2 goals a game in the PL.

19 of those came in 5 games against the top two sides and a freak final 20minutes at Arsenal.

That's 39 in 26; a bit more reflective of our struggles.

19 of those came in 5 games against the top two sides and a freak final 20minutes at Arsenal.

So, when you cherry pick out the games where we concede quite a few our defence looks a lot better. Respectable even. Maybe even good! You must be AMAZED we are 15th. Troll.

Guest neesy111

No it's not.  Everyone has to play the top 4, you can't just cherry pick your games.  Get real.

We're the worst away side in the league for wins, want to cherry pick through that?

Are we trying to put Dan Gosling in the shop window or something? Ridiculous he's getting game time...

Who else was going to come on, in fairness? Anita to RB and Gosling in CM was the only move he could make.

First time I've been able to brave the football forum since the game ended. Fuckin galling, man. A passback and a horrificly unlucky but entirely justified handball. Fucking crackers, man.

I thought we were good. Tactics were good, tempo was good, intent was good, passing was even good. Only negative was the fucking Shola substitution. Someone call Ranger to come back and shoot him. I'd rather Obertan come on.

Very hard night to take. 2-0 is definitely doable going on some of last night. I fucking hope Debuchy and Haidara are back, though. Othrwise we'll be conceding at least one.

Bastard.

Just got home after being "kettled".

Anyone still think Benfica are world beaters? They were very average again.

Unfortunately we were s**** .

One of the best in Europe according to Pardew

They are dog toffee, shame we couldn't give them a game.

Not sure who to blame, depressing.

:lol:

Classic reaction. I get you're p*ssed off with the manner of the goals, anyone would be. But there's a natural tendency to think the opposition wasn't any good when you're blaming yourselves for a defeat.

They weren't world beating, they weren't brilliant, but they were good. Their passing and movement was clearly superior and thus deserved to win the game. Despite that however the tie is far from over due to their very slack defending.

But yes, can totally see why you'd be p*ssed off at how the goals came about.

I watch them every week and don't rate them, I think a decent team would take them to the cleaners.

In my opinion they are very average, bar a couple of stupid mistakes we could have been set tonight so yes I am frustrated.

You should pop to Specsavers the next time you're over in England; they're one of the better European teams and have a ridiculous amount of attacking talent for a non-'elite' club (Spa, Ger, Ita, Eng, etc).

That Barca team are generally considered 'decent' aren't they?

I watch them rollover a succession of decidedly non-elite teams every week. When they play someone decent they struggle, yes they were great in the Nou Camp against a disinterested Barcelona but Barca swatted them aside in their own stadium and could have scored a few more.

Have you ever heard of the saying 'lies, damned lies and statistics'..?

We are where we are in the PL because we cannot defend despite having a manager whose whole outlook is based on an obsession with defence and we cannot attack because the team is designed to defend...which it doesn't - properly.

We deserve to be where we are, despite the quality of players available.

I threw my hotdog into the netting in celebration when Cisse hit the post in the second half. Gutted. :lol:

Was it as expensive as an SJP hotdog?

€6, so worse. €4 for non-alcoholic beer as well, man. :lol:

Thought Benfica were there for the taking and we let ourselves down with 2 daft mistakes while suffering our usual bad luck in this time in front of goal. Double whammy, one or the other and we'd have had a draw. Best team certainly didnt win and there is a lot we can take from that game for the next leg.

Going to be hard but we can win, they try and sit back we will fuck them, they aren't that great at the back, if we have hba back were through.

Benefica-------------------Newcastle

Possession

55%-------------------------45%

Goal attempts

23----------------------------7

Corners

12----------------------------0

Fouls

8----------------------------15

offside

0-----------------------------3

Bookings

2-----------------------------2

Guest Patrick_slb

Hello NU Fans !

Last night I didn't like how Benfica played. The first twenty minutes were awful but after that we played better and happily scored 3 goals. I think the tie isn't over but Benfica made a big step to the semi-finals.

For the 2nd match I bet that Newcastle will play offensively but Benfica is a very dangerous team in counter-attack ... Consequently, my forecast is for a 1-1 or 2-2.

PS : Cissé and Sissoko are really good players.

Guest Dontooner

Those who thought we were the better team are delusional . All good with the rose tinted glasses and all but the stats don't lie. We might have score more goals but Benfica seem to be able to up another gear if it was necessary.  Unfortunately that was the best we play for a long time and where our standards are, basically we broke down to Man city when we invite pressure and the same happened here.

12 corners to our nil

23 attempts to our 7

if we were Benfica and we lost i would be crying fowl....

The fundamental problem is that we are too passive we need to grab the game by the horns more often in games....How many games how we look to be the second best team in this season. Too too often...