Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Didn't Pardew do a good job last year?

Shhh don't say that you'll get hounded on here for that.

Fwiw we've won all but one game at home (the other being a 0-0 draw which we had two goals disallowed against Metalist) since the influx so I'm still quite optimistic

No you won't and I wish people would stop this :lol:

He did a great job last year but he hasn't built upon it at all, we're now suffering from the same problems that we did during our bad patches last season and his footballing philosophy is getting harder and harder to take by the game.

I have no problem with people being content with Pardew, I suppose I am too, but this reaction towards anyone who would prefer a better manager in to push us to next level is just daft.

Fwiw we've won all but one game at home (the other being a 0-0 draw which we had two goals disallowed against Metalist) since the influx so I'm still quite optimistic

He did a great job last year but he hasn't built upon it at all, we're now suffering from the same problems that we did during our bad patches last season and his footballing philosophy is getting harder and harder to take by the game.

I have no problem with people being content with Pardew, I suppose I am too, but this reaction towards anyone who would prefer a better manager in to push us to next level is just daft.

If they argued it like that I think most people would agree.

If they argued it like that I think most people would agree.

Aye

I think most people do though?

It's just made out the the entire forum is relentlessly anti-Pardew at times which I don't think is the case.

Nah, obviously. Both 'sides', if there are sides, engage in massive generalisation of other people's views. I should remember to avoid posting about what other people think completely, it's the most annoying type of debate on here by far.

Guest firetotheworks

There's no substitute for eyesight and gut feeling.

Obviously the score means everything in the end, but after that most stats mean nothing compared to using your eyes. We may get 30 corners, but it means nothing if you're shit at corners.

There's no substitute for eyesight and gut feeling.

Obviously the score means everything in the end, but after that most stats mean nothing compared to using your eyes. We may get 30 corners, but it means nothing if you're s*** at corners.

The thing with stats showing a lot of corners, it shows that the team had attacking intent. You don't win many corners from your own half like.

I thought they ran the game outside of 30 minutes (20 mins at the start of the first and 10 at the start of the second) but that was to be expected with them being the favourites, at home and a goal down fairly early on.

3-1 is still a kick in the pods though, given the opportunities we created. A one goal defeat would have been somewhat palatable, but two takes the piss a bit with how the game unfolded. It's not like they were carving us open time and time again.

Stats mean fuck all but in this case they do, Benfica were clearly the better side on the whole and the stats back that up :lol:

Benfica were the better team on the night, but I believe we have better players individually. They were led well and had more purpose and that paid off in the end.

Stats mean fuck all but in this case they do, Benfica were clearly the better side on the whole and the stats back that up :lol:

Benfica were the better team on the night, but I believe we have better players individually. They were led well and had more purpose and that paid off in the end.

They didn't commit footballing suicide, I think that was the main issue.

Was at the match and on the flight home, NO ONE repeat NO ONE could believe we were 2 goals behind at the end. We all thought that, had Marveaux passed to Cisse t make it 2 -0 they would have crumbled - their crowd was very dissatisfied and getting angry with certain players - their goal inspired the crowd and their team. Their defence isn't that good but they will probably score at SJP so we will need at least 3! Probably too much to hope for.

Guest eagleye

Benefica-------------------Newcastle

Possession

55%-------------------------45%

Goal attempts

23----------------------------7

Corners

12----------------------------0

Fouls

8----------------------------15

offside

0-----------------------------3

Bookings

2-----------------------------2

1. Not that bad considering we were away.

2. How many of them were from range?

3. Didn't do anything with them and we know we can't either.

4. Aye right, whatever the ref says.

5. f*** off, we all know that's wrong.

6. Seems average.

544667_631039906910145_1231486921_n.jpg

Cabaye do not deserve play the 2nd leg! Say thanks to the ref!

Possession

Goal attempts

Corners

Fouls

offside

Bookings

6. Seems average.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-vKwkw_L6jkUSzBSXcrYS5kKkxn1RhjJDF1gDyPcx-deimN5j2w

Possession

Goal attempts

Corners

Fouls

offside

Bookings

6. Seems average.

Why would you ban this handsome bastard from playing football, man?

http://malecelebbio.com/gallery/2012/03/Yohan-Cabaye-09.jpg

Bastards.

Also might be giggs, but did anyone else notice the police/riot squad performing some tactical maneuver behind the right goal and into the stands? It was some point in the first half, I think.

Yea, they beaten some fans badly.

After the game: http://www.abload.de/img/1nqror.jpg

Our driver (Benfica season ticket holder) said that unfortunately the police often "just start hitting fans" in that end if someone says something! we had a canny view and it was not a "tactical manouever" it was a full on police charge and battens were being well flayed! Our police take some stick but the alternative is frightening