Newcastle United vs. Benfica - 11/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

Mike

Krul

Anita      MYM            Taylor        Haidara

Tiote          Cabaye

Marveaux      Sissoko      Jonas

Cisse

As much attacking threat as we have available. Would prefer Anita to Simpson for that very reason.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

I could probably live with Cabaye being given a break. I don't want us to prioritise either one, but he could probably use a rest before the derby - where he's going to be absolutely crucial.

I think you should rest Cissé and Sissoko, they look tired and you don't want them to do bad against Sunderland  :angel:

why should we rest players, in other teams the play nearly every game, the guys get well paid to do a job

Think he's a Benfica fan :lol:

>:D

Krul

Tiote          Cabaye

Cisse

As much attacking threat as we have available. Would prefer Anita to Simpson for that very reason.

We'd ought to get Jonas as far away from the front six as possible, then. :cheesy: In all seriousness, I thought he was absolutely brilliant at left-back on Sunday, so I'd be more than happy to see him start there again instead of Haidara. Don't disagree with Anita getting a shout at full-back, he was good when he switched to there at the weekend, but I don't think Tiote's gonna make it. I'd be shocked if he didn't start at CM alongside someone-or-other.

Krul

Tiote          Cabaye

Cisse

We'd ought to get Jonas as far away from the front six as possible, then.

And play who on the left wing exactly? Obertan? Much rather have Jonas there.

Krul

Tiote          Cabaye

Cisse

We'd ought to get Jonas as far away from the front six as possible, then.

And play who on the left wing exactly? Obertan? Much rather have Jonas there.

Honestly, aye. I know he's terrible 9 times out of 10 but he's been dangerous on the left in this competition, particularly at home.

Also because I would like to see Jonas at LB again. He contributed more to our attacks from a deeper position anyway.

I've not been keeping up here, but are Haidara/Tiote back?

Haidara supposedly is. Not sure about Cheick.

:thup: I reckon we'll see

Krul

Simpson      Taylor      MYM    Haidara

Anita        Cabaye

Marveaux        Sissoko        Jonas

Cissé

For the first half. He'll try and keep it tight for the first half I reckon then attack them in the second. Got it right last time but that's an amazingly rare event. Perch will start for Anita if fit.

I wouldn't mind that team either, not really got much off the bench though. Campbell -> Jonas, Ameobi -> Marveaux, Obertan -> Simpson. A big massive clusterfuck to end the match :lol:

Will be a tricky one because I doubt he wants Cabaye/Cisse playing 90 minutes before the derby.

I wouldn't mind Jonas against the mackems because of how little attacking threat they pose.

But if all possible i'd like to see Haidara at LB instead because how of how attacking Benfica are, i wasn't very impressed with Ola John in the first leg but Krul seems to rate him quite highly so he could still cause damage.

All things considered i'd like to see Krul-Simpson,Taylor,MYM,Haidara-Cabaye,Anita-Jonas,Sissoko,Marveaux-Cisse

Hopefully Debuchy, Tiote and Ben Arfa can make the derby at the weekend to add a bit of freshness.

Judging by your manager's words United will be patient instead of going all out attack. He may be bluffing. I believe he's correct anyway, we'll be looking to use our offensive players pace on the counter if you guys come with everything from the beginning of the game. I wouldn't expect such an high defensive line - unless you give us the ball every time.

Btw, we are undefeated for 35 games in a row in all competitions, setting up a new record for portuguese teams. The prior record was 33 games (Mourinho, Porto). Just numbers, still interesting though.

Eight european games in this period. 7W, 1D. 2-0 Spartak, 2-1 Celtic, 0-0 Barcelona, 0-1 Bayer Leverkusen, 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen, 1-0 Bordeaux, 2-3 Bordeaux and 3-1 against you guys. I believe St James Park will be the 2nd or 3rd most difficult european game; Camp Nou 1st, Leverkusen or Newcastle 2nd. Surely a tight game.

If Benfica play an absurdly high line again Obertan may be of use. He has as much of a tendency to completely fuck counter attacks up as he does to help them like :lol:

He's done ok in European games previously.

Aye in the group stages he had a couple of very good performances, he was absolutely horrific in the last European game he started though.

If Benfica play an absurdly high line again Obertan may be of use. He has as much of a tendency to completely fuck counter attacks up as he does to help them like :lol:

That's part of the reason why I wouldn't mind him starting. It could totally backfire but he has the pace and flair to add impetus to a (hopefully) intense first 10/15 mins.

Judging by your manager's words United will be patient instead of going all out attack. He may be bluffing. I believe he's correct anyway, we'll be looking to use our offensive players pace on the counter if you guys come with everything from the beginning of the game. I wouldn't expect such an high defensive line - unless you give us the ball every time.

Btw, we are undefeated for 35 games in a row in all competitions, setting up a new record for portuguese teams. The prior record was 33 games (Mourinho, Porto). Just numbers, still interesting though.

Eight european games in this period. 7W, 1D. 2-0 Spartak, 2-1 Celtic, 0-0 Barcelona, 0-1 Bayer Leverkusen, 2-1 Bayer Leverkusen, 1-0 Bordeaux, 2-3 Bordeaux and 3-1 against you guys. I believe St James Park will be the 2nd or 3rd most difficult european game; Camp Nou 1st, Leverkusen or Newcastle 2nd. Surely a tight game.

You coming over?

It's always more hypothetical than based in reality that Obertan's pace is of any use to us.

We've seen it used more when he's been on the left, anyway. Like I say, 50% of it is that I want to see Jonas at full-back again because he was so good at the weekend. The other 50% is the (admittedly 'hypothetical') idea his pace can frighten their high line early in the game.

The thing about the high line is a double edge sword really.... in theory it gives Obertan more space in behind to exploit but at the same time they will pressing higher to prevent gaps in their defence.

And we all know how bad Obertan is when put under any sort of pressure :lol:

Hmm, nice analysis, that stat doesn't make for pleasant reading though :lol:

If anything I hope we don't just go out with a whimper; really hoping for a cracking game.

The thing about the high line is a double edge sword really.... in theory it gives Obertan more space in behind to exploit but at the same time they will pressing higher to prevent gaps in their defence.

And we all know how bad Obertan is when put under any sort of pressure :lol:

The crux of the matter is, our front three needs to be compiled of the players most likely to force a goal - because the task is two score at least two goals. Although he's useless (in every sense, not just attacking) most of the time, I'd put Obertan marginally ahead of Jonas in that particular pecking order.

If Benfica play an absurdly high line again Obertan may be of use. He has as much of a tendency to completely f*** counter attacks up as he does to help them like :lol:

I don't think we will. I bet we'll defend much closer to our goal, in a more "lazy" way  :-X

Y U NO PLAY HIGH LINE ON HALF WAY LINE?  :angry:

That would be rude, we're just guests  :aww: