Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

That's the spirit.

It's not the spirit at all, it's probably the reality.

So you don't think we'll qualify for Europe again in your lifetime? Howay man.

Well, he is about 90 or something.

Ben Arfa & Marveaux improved us so much like, would love to see both on form in the league, their creativity is what we've missed.

I hope Benfica win it now anyway, f*** Chelsea.

Imagine Ben Arfa and Marveaux playing for 90% of our league season ffs. We'd be at least 15 points better off if not more.

Guest P.Aimar10

The Turks and Greeks are always like that.  :lol:

watch?v=Xc9p7bonjMU

:laugh:

Laurent Robert!

Almost forgot he had played for you guys aswell.

We won 1-0 against Porto in 2005 cuz of a massive free kick from him :D

Well, that's that. Loved every minute even if it has taken its toll on the league, it was worth it....We got to see some great cities, added another few far-flung places to our CVs, got match time for a few fringe players and it pushed Shola inexplicably further up the all-time NUFC European greats list. Even the obligatory daft foreign b*stard invasion of the forum was fun this time! Great crack on with the fans in town last night, saw a few bleary-eyed Benfiquistas dragging their bags down Pink Lane to Central this morning.

There's a lot of scorn for the competition from many quarters (usually CL-addicted media and non-participating teams followers) but f*ck 'em. We had fun and that's what counts. And for all their negative points on the field, if Benfica face Chelsea in the final I know who I'll be supporting.  O0

So you don't think we'll qualify for Europe again in your lifetime? Howay man.

Our opponents on sunday last qualified for Europe 40 years ago so I wouldn't take qualification for granted.

Guest fraser

I have loved this season, its struggles and its foreign trips. Great times, some of which I can remember.

Going abroad to support your team is still a thrill for those of us of a certain age. I loved it, every moment.

Last night's defeat to a team that I'll support until the next time that we meet them was thrilling too; our applause (their goal and our efforts combined) and Pardew's congratulations were class in a way them from down road have never known.

They're a pretty streetwise outfit.  They kept possession during the periods of the game when they needed to.  For the first five minutes they just bumped the ball around to make sure the home crowd didn't get excited.  Any time we got a chance, they just kept the ball for the couple of minutes afterwards.  The only time they looked rattled and panicked was for about ten minutes after our goal, that's when we needed to hit them again, but it only lasted ten minutes then they regained their composure and frustrated us again before notching themselves.  They know how to win in Europe.  No shame in losing to them imo.

Now that I've had a day to reflect on this game, I can say that it was a great, brave effort in the end. We went out fighting and you can't ask anymore than that. Yes, the gameplan for the first half was a bit iffy but I can understand Pardew's thinking - by keeping it "tight" at 0-0 and making sure we didn't concede was maybe Pardew's way of frustrating Benfica's frontline (mind you we could have been easily out of the tie by half time considering Benfica were making all the chances, they are such a good team).

We had such great fighting spirit in the second half and when we got that 1st goal, the momentum was very much with us - I thought we were actually going to do it but alas it wasn't to be. Credit to the players for giving that second half performance - passion and heart were very there.

It's been a fun year in the Europa League and I hope we see European football again soon.

The Turks and Greeks are always like that.  :lol:

watch?v=Xc9p7bonjMU

:laugh:

Laurent Robert!

Almost forgot he had played for you guys aswell.

We won 1-0 against Porto in 2005 cuz of a massive free kick from him :D

Yes, he was here for 4 years, a very very important player for us.

Aye but they're Sunderland, whilst we're in Europe semi-regularly.

Remind me when we were last in Europe before KK took over in 1992 and we qualified in 1994...?

I think you'll find that it was against Bastia in 1977.....17 years.......

Prior to that, we had from 1968 to 1970 when we won the tournament. Not exactly a regular competitor until the 90s.