Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

Big thumbs up to all the Benfica fans acting with class in here. It was a very enjoyable night, even though we lost.

:thup:

Great night, was weird walking out of the game after going out of Europe yet everyone was still upbeat.  Gave it a crack and that's all we can do, hopefully push ourselves back up the league and have a go at one of the cups next season without any distractions.

From a Benfica fan, Ill tell you that Newcastle has way too much attacking talent to be entering games with such a negative mindset. Id understand if you guys play like that agaisnt man utd or so, but not the average premier league team.

Hope next year you can finish in the top 5 again, like you deserve!

Have had a softspot for newcastle since my older brother ended up managing newcastle one time at Championship Manager in the late 90s xD He built a team around Shearer(who else?) and hed score 3 or 4 per game :D I used to spend a lot of time watching him play that game.

Its easy for us benfica fans to be magnanimous after weve won, but know that wed have the same opinion should we have lost. Your stadium was rocking with pure football love, and the way you cheered your team after the 1-1 is just chilling. You dont see any of that in with plastic c**t fans like chelsea.

Also, sorry for the diving our players do once again, it gets on my nerves aswell and Im a benfica fan.

Good luck next Sunday! Youll have us benfica fans cheering for you!

:lol: :thup:

Great night, great game... Thought at 1-0 we still had a goal in us, and Ben Arfa's chance was the best opportunity for that, once it was missed it was always likely they would score with us so open at the back.

Fantastic effort and no shame to go out to the best side left in the competition. Hopefully the way we played 2nd half we continue into Sunday.

I've watched that again in slow motion this morning and it brushes the defenders back ever so slightly which is what makes it go over, missed by the shit linesman on the milburn stand side and the equally weak referee.

I thought we were superb last night bar the first 10 minutes and last couple of minutes when we were dead on our feet.

Benfica absolutely shit themsleves when Ben Arfa and Marveaux came on and we took the game to them with some superb passing and running.

Proud of the efforts and over the 2 legs i thought we were very unlucky not to go through.

Big thumbs up to all the Benfica fans acting with class in here. It was a very enjoyable night, even though we lost.

:thup: Yep. I bought a Porto kit in the Mourinho years but now feel dirty looking at it - when it comes to Portugal, I'm now a Benfiquista! Their fans have class.

From a Benfica fan, Ill tell you that Newcastle has way too much attacking talent to be entering games with such a negative mindset. Id understand if you guys play like that agaisnt man utd or so, but not the average premier league team.

Have had a softspot for newcastle since my older brother ended up managing newcastle one time at Championship Manager in the late 90s xD He built a team around Shearer(who else?) and hed score 3 or 4 per game :D I used to spend a lot of time watching him play that game.

Its easy for us benfica fans to be magnanimous after weve won, but know that wed have the same opinion should we have lost. Your stadium was rocking with pure football love, and the way you cheered your team after the 1-1 is just chilling. You dont see any of that in with plastic c**t fans like chelsea.

Also, sorry for the diving our players do once again, it gets on my nerves aswell and Im a benfica fan.

I can't imagine many things being more dull than watching someone play CM :lol:

Gutted that we're out, but still so very proud of this team and the fans. Huge respect to Benfica and their fans for being pure class from the moment we were drawn together to now, well after the games have been played :thup:

:thup: Yep. I bought a Porto kit in the Mourinho years but now feel dirty looking at it - when it comes to Portugal, I'm now a Benfiquista! Their fans have class.

Their players on the other hand...

I can't remember ever leaving a game, effectively losing but with a smile on my face. We gave it our best shot and we came damn close to pulling it off.

As for the whole cheating thing. I don't think so, i'd use the word "cute" to describe Benfica, they played a very european game. That's the way to be successful in europe and lets face it, they're a lot more experianced at it than we are. I've no sour grapes at all and wish them well.

:thup:

:lol: :lol:

Their players on the other hand...

About this i had a bigger problem with time wasting than i did with diving.

It's really frustrating looking at the last 4 teams in this competition, should already be out of Europe last December. And to think that we started this journey so far back and these 4 who aren't good enough in the Champions League just drop in and given another chance in a competition they have nothing to do with.

Have to agree.

Basel and Fenerbahce came through the Europa League, man.

It's really frustrating looking at the last 4 teams in this competition, should already be out of Europe last December. And to think that we started this journey so far back and these 4 who aren't good enough in the Champions League just drop in and given another chance in a competition they have nothing to do with.

Have to agree.

After failing at Champions League qualifiers?

Have to agree.

After failing at Champions League qualifiers?

Aye, but they've played basically as many games in this competition as ourselves and all the teams that joined in the group stages. If you didn't have the trickledown of CL qualifying rounds then it'd shits on all of the top clubs from smaller nations who find themselves out of Europe immediately.

It's the last 16 dropouts that are the problem, not the shuffling that happens before the competition even starts.

Guest P.Aimar10

Gutted that we're out, but still so very proud of this team and the fans. Huge respect to Benfica and their fans for being pure class from the moment we were drawn together to now, well after the games have been played :thup:

It was the 90s and we only had one pc back then. As the younger brother I was supposed to sit next, be quiet, and watch. And maybe, but just maybe if my brother got tired of it Id finnally be able to play :D

Kids these days will never know that joy of finnaly having the pc for themselves. These days they get out of the va jay jay with an iphone in their hand.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

I'm kinda sad that this tie is over, you guys are great supporters.

We've just drawn Fenerbahçe and already there's a wave of turkish fans invading Benfica's facebook page insulting us "f*ck Benfica, Fenerbahçe champions" and cr*p like that  :idiot2:

I'm kinda sad that this tie is over, you guys are great supporters.

We've just drawn Fenerbahçe and already there's a wave of turkish fans invading Benfica's facebook page insulting us "f*ck Benfica, Fenerbahçe champions" and cr*p like that  :idiot2:

We had that on here when we played them a few years back. We beat them 3-0 :lol:

1-0 wasn't it? Sibierski?

aye it was actually. Fuck knows where I pulled 3-0 from.

Really good night, that. One of maybe two or three highlights from that season. :lol: Dismal.

I have absolutely no recollection of it, I assume I went but couldn't say so with any degree of conviction.