Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

hold them for 70 mins then attack came so close- the right approach just unlucky.

We'll always go trophy-less with this kind of attitude.  Always an excuse, always a hard-luck story, not much can-do attitude to be found.  Pardew knows it and he preys on it, people accept it.

We'll always be trophy less if we make complete fuck ups like in Lisbon not because of tonight, thats what cost us.

Tie lost due to individual errors in the first leg, therefore we're on a hiding to nothing so we have no chance.  More excuses.  Pains me to say it but clubs like Liverpool don't do excuses, they just manage to win trophies.  Always a hard luck story and Pardew's well on to it, even when this was his main diversion from our horrific league season.

Surely every team that goes out has a hard luck story.

Truth be told we came up against a team way better than we are...end.

We had an entire second leg to beat them and didn't even attack until the 60-70th minute. :lol:

If that was a Turkish or Italian team or whatever I'd be saying you got what you deserved and so would everyone else.

hold them for 70 mins then attack came so close- the right approach just unlucky.

We'll always go trophy-less with this kind of attitude.  Always an excuse, always a hard-luck story, not much can-do attitude to be found.  Pardew knows it and he preys on it, people accept it.

We'll always be trophy less if we make complete fuck ups like in Lisbon not because of tonight, thats what cost us.

Tie lost due to individual errors in the first leg, therefore we're on a hiding to nothing so we have no chance.  More excuses.  Pains me to say it but clubs like Liverpool don't do excuses, they just manage to win trophies.  Always a hard luck story and Pardew's well on to it, even when this was his main diversion from our horrific league season.

We had an entire second leg to beat them and didn't even attack until the 60-70th minute. :lol:

If that was a Turkish or Italian team or whatever I'd be saying you got what you deserved and so would everyone else.

We got we deserved but they're way better than we are.

We sat back (and had 2 goals knocked off - rightly) during that time before pressuring. If we'd done it from the start it'd have been game over IMO.

I'm well aware that stats never tell the whole story, but:

http://i.imgur.com/XWe3IrR.png

Benfica dominated possession, had more shots than us, and won just as many corners as us. Who needed to win again?

Our gameplan was too marginal.

We had a second leg to beat them and absolutely not concede. That's a completely different playing field to just having to win.

I'm obviously with you on the first half being bloody awful and much the same as other pitiful performances we've put in all season but just this once it absolutely needed to be. Much like a cricket team having to bat a full day out, nobody's trying to score a run and nobody actually enjoys watching it but it needed doing. I was bloody delighted at half time. :lol:

We got we deserved but they're way better than we are.

We sat back (and had 2 goals knocked off - rightly) during that time before pressuring. If we'd done it from the start it'd have been game over IMO.

How good are they exactly? Are they higher paid? Command bigger transfer fees? Is it just a case we were outclassed man for man?

It isn't too far away. You have a excellent team but unfortunately you can't keep the good players like Demba Ba, Carroll and others.

Thanks for the kind words but the bulk of this team will be broken apart long before it ever gets close to winning anything.

I begin to follow more often your team when you return to the EPL. But this year and the last one I didn't see a lot of games. Your team is full of history. Great players, great coaches and excellent fans.

My love with NUFC begin in 2009/2010 when you have a strong team like: Krul, Enrique, Williamson, Coloccini, Simpson, Tiote, Barton, Jonas, Routledge, Ameobi and Carroll. Is something like that, right? Sometimes Sol, Ranger, Nolan, Peter, Xisco and Smith play a little.

You have a strong defense with good left backs, a solid midfield with Barton and Tiote clean everything, good and fast wingers and good strikers.

Benfica dominated possession, had more shots than us, and won just as many corners as us. Who needed to win again?

That's the point though - the window of opportunity was just that, marginal. How many games do you play where you don't just need to win, or even need to win by a certain amount, but effectively (unless anyone fancied extra time) actually need to win by a particular scoreline?

They obviously had more play over the 90, but the threat wasn't huge, and we reduced that threat simply by keeping them in a winning position.

I don't know, I just wanted to see a little bit more ambition. We didn't have to go stupid - that's never really happened under Pardew anyway tbh - but it was just too much to ask to be able to do it all in the last quarter of the match when we'd done virtually nothing up to that point. Not only that but we'd already announced this was what we were planning to do so Benfica surely realised they didn't have to expend too much energy chasing us about either. We had them scared for about 10mins of the 90, it was just too much to do in such a small amount of time.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

It isn't too far away. You have a excellent team but unfortunately you can't keep the good players like Demba Ba, Carroll and others.

Thanks for the kind words but the bulk of this team will be broken apart long before it ever gets close to winning anything.

I begin to follow more often your team when you return to the EPL. But this year and the last one I didn't see a lot of games. Your team is full of history. Great players, great coaches and excellent fans.

My love with NUFC begin in 2009/2010 when you have a strong team like: Krul, Enrique, Williamson, Coloccini, Simpson, Tiote, Barton, Jonas, Routledge, Ameobi and Carroll. Is something like that, right? Sometimes Sol, Ranger, Nolan, Peter, Xisco and Smith play a little.

You have a strong defense with good left backs, a solid midfield with Barton and Tiote clean everything, good and fast wingers and good strikers.

No, respect for Newcastle since the tragic year of 96 with the great Ginola

It's not like we were generally asking them to switch it on though - we didn't ask Ben Arfa to defend for 70 mins then go and beat them. That's the benefit of using him and Marv as subs, you can simply unleash them. From that point of view, it worked perfectly, they did what they do. Ben Arfa's penetration had us on the scoresheet within five minutes and although I've only seen it in real time, Marv looked well on course for being through on goal in space before he got hacked down.

I really still fancied another late winner if we hadn't been caught on the break. It's easy in hindsight to say we gave ourselves too much to do but I don't think we did. Two goals in that last half an hour with them on was more than do-able imo, and furthermore that was the only time I'd have wanted to do it.

Some might say we should have had HBA/Marv on earlier. So then you're 2-0 up after an hour and you have to defend that with two flair players on, one of them very unfit, and everyone else knackered. To win 2-0, there was always likely to be some period in the game where we needed to kill the game a bit - why try and stop them when they're trying to score when you can stop them when they're not that bothered instead?

That's the point though - the window of opportunity was just that, marginal. How many games do you play where you don't just need to win, or even need to win by a certain amount, but effectively (unless anyone fancied extra time) actually need to win by a particular scoreline?

They obviously had more play over the 90, but the threat wasn't huge, and we reduced that threat simply by keeping them in a winning position.

We played them over two legs wullie. The window was never that small unless we made it.

Guest Pablito

Hey guys, never give up. You support a great club. Since kid I hear about Newcastle, you are one of the top clubs in England, you have an amazing stadium.

It is difficult to play in Premier League I guess, I do not really agree that there should be clubs like City or Chelsea, full of money. They destroyed football, they take your players from you, as well as ours. Look to what they did to our dream team from 2009.

Javi Garcia, Di Maria, Ramires, David Luiz, Coentrao... all of them were sold, we need the money and that is the natural way of things. We cannot compete with them in terms of money which turns things difficult, even though we keep this constant fight, we are building another team now. It is the same with you guys, you sold Demba to Chelsea as well as other players in the past which makes things difficult. You cannot give up, you have to support your players like you did today, because money is not everything, you've got the history, the values... this club is the one you love.

I wish you the best, I will never forget you so I will be supporting you 'till I die. Best wishes!!! Keep strong!

Hey guys, never give up. You support a great club. Since kid I hear about Newcastle, you are one of the top clubs in England, you have an amazing stadium.

It is difficult to play in Premier League I guess, I do not really agree that there should be clubs like City or Chelsea, full of money. They destroyed football, they take your players from you, as well as ours. Look to what they did to our dream team from 2009.

Javi Garcia, Di Maria, Ramires, David Luiz, Coentrao... all of them were sold, we need the money and that is the natural way of things. We cannot compete with them in terms of money which turns things difficult, even though we keep this constant fight, we are building another team now. It is the same with you guys, you sold Demba to Chelsea as well as other players in the past which makes things difficult. You cannot give up, you have to support your players like you did today, because money is not everything, you've got the history, the values... this club is the one you love.

I wish you the best, I will never forget you so I will be supporting you 'till I die. Best wishes!!! Keep strong!

Legend! I think it's a shame we didn't have Gouffran, Debuchy, Coloccini, Saylor, Santon, Tiote, a fit Ben Arfa available for this game. We would have played a lot better football.

Guest Cardozo7

No offense to the Benfican's, just as it's been said there was far too much cheating from your team for us to really give you much respect.

Tonight I can understand the time wasting (though not in the 20th minute though), the majority of it came in the first leg, constantly going down when players weren't around you, trying to get players booked etc. I'm sorry but respect is lost then.

Sorry to say it but I don't think you are half as good as you make out either, in the first leg you only looked threatening on the break, after we stopped attacking we really shouldn't have conceded.

I think you are letting your frustration get the better of you.

Branding us cheats after what your players did in the 1st leg can only be a bad taste joke.

Great tie, played in great spirit by great clubs with two sets of great supporters and in the end the best team, who played the best football and who was on top for the vast majority of the time on both games, won.

Thank you for the kind words of the bulk of your fans that wished us well and are mature enough to accept that we were worthy winners, and, be sure that our fans have in NUFC a friend club from now on, and we will all be a bit geordies (even if we can't understand a word of geordie).

Really hope you stay safe this year, get your players fit, get a couple of new faces in (specially at the back) and really have another crack at the Premiership next season hoping that i can see you guys sometime soon on the Champions League where a club and a set of fans like you guys are, deserve to be.

P.S - If you could explain to Cisse the offside rule you would have a top top striker.

Thank you for the kind words of the bulk of your fans that wished us well and are mature enough to accept that we were worthy winners, and, be sure that our fans have in NUFC a friend club from now on, and we will all be a bit geordies (even if we can't understand a word of geordie).

Really hope you stay safe this year, get your players fit, get a couple of new faces in (specially at the back) and really have another crack at the Premiership next season hoping that i can see you guys sometime soon on the Champions League where a club and a set of fans like you guys are, deserve to be.

P.S - If you could explain to Cisse the offside rule you would have a top top striker.

Cisse will never learn the offside rule, it's his 'thing' :D

I think the cheating calls come across as sour grapes, the keeper took his time but how often has Krul done that and been congratulated for it?  They won cheap free kicks, unfortunately that's the way football is played in other countries and the referee was the one who gave the decisions.  Jonas wins some borderline decisions and we are quite happy to accept them, I know I am.

We don't play that way by default like foreign teams and I'm glad but let's not pretend that the game in this country hasn't changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.  Did they do anything worse than Joey Barton did against Arsenal when he hit the deck to get a player sent off?  Did any Benfica play act any worse than Taylor does when he tries to cheat (when acting as if shot) when handling the ball?

I don't like any play acting, we're not squeaky clean though, even if we're not as bad.

I think the cheating calls come across as sour grapes, the keeper took his time but how often has Krul done that and been congratulated for it?  They won cheap free kicks, unfortunately that's the way football is played in other countries and the referee was the one who gave the decisions.  Jonas wins some borderline decisions and we are quite happy to accept them, I know I am.

We don't play that way by default like foreign teams and I'm glad but let's not pretend that the game in this country hasn't changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.  Did they do anything worse than Joey Barton did against Arsenal when he hit the deck to get a player sent off?  Did any Benfica play act any worse than Taylor does when he tries to cheat (when acting as if shot) when handling the ball?

I don't like any play acting, we're not squeaky clean though, even if we're not as bad.

Good post. While it's frustrating that it happens, we see it in the Premier league every weekend. The time wasting and injury faking was annoying but we saw Stoke do it even worse earlier in the season. Something needs to be done about diving in the game, but it gets laughed off by the media anytime a 'good' player does it.