Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

I think the cheating calls come across as sour grapes, the keeper took his time but how often has Krul done that and been congratulated for it?  They won cheap free kicks, unfortunately that's the way football is played in other countries and the referee was the one who gave the decisions.  Jonas wins some borderline decisions and we are quite happy to accept them, I know I am.

We don't play that way by default like foreign teams and I'm glad but let's not pretend that the game in this country hasn't changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.  Did they do anything worse than Joey Barton did against Arsenal when he hit the deck to get a player sent off?  Did any Benfica play act any worse than Taylor does when he tries to cheat (when acting as if shot) when handling the ball?

I don't like any play acting, we're not squeaky clean though, even if we're not as bad.

Good post.

You'd go mad if you saw a portuguese league match  :frantic:

Every week we have to face a side that plays with no striker, just a couple of quick guys with no intent to shoot whatsoever, just get some free-kicks, yellow cards and corners, the only real play those teams have. There's hardly more than 1 minute without the game stopping and every time it takes another minute to resume cause the guy will push his socks up and tie his shoes. And the ref will whistle any contact or if he's really lazy, any fall by any player. Zero intensity. I think that's our main problem, nobody wants/can run for 90 minutes so they all try to kill as much time as they can  :blush:

btw, 13th european semi-final for us, more than all the other portuguese clubs put together (12)  :aww:

I think the cheating calls come across as sour grapes, the keeper took his time but how often has Krul done that and been congratulated for it?  They won cheap free kicks, unfortunately that's the way football is played in other countries and the referee was the one who gave the decisions.  Jonas wins some borderline decisions and we are quite happy to accept them, I know I am.

We don't play that way by default like foreign teams and I'm glad but let's not pretend that the game in this country hasn't changed, sometimes for the better, sometimes not.  Did they do anything worse than Joey Barton did against Arsenal when he hit the deck to get a player sent off?  Did any Benfica play act any worse than Taylor does when he tries to cheat (when acting as if shot) when handling the ball?

I don't like any play acting, we're not squeaky clean though, even if we're not as bad.

Good post.

I remember FC Porto in the UEFA cup final with Celtic was one of the most disgraceful displays of football I've ever seen.

It's really frustrating looking at the last 4 teams in this competition, should already be out of Europe last December. And to think that we started this journey so far back and these 4 who aren't good enough in the Champions League just drop in and given another chance in a competition they have nothing to do with.

It's really frustrating looking at the last 4 teams in this competition, should already be out of Europe last December. And to think that we started this journey so far back and these 4 who aren't good enough in the Champions League just drop in and given another chance in a competition they have nothing to do with.

Have to agree.

The best team won. The best team also cheated throughout.

We should cheat better.

Jokes aside though, at the end of the day I'm still pretty stoked. It was a good campaign and we had some heroic victories along the way. Benfica are a strong team to go out to, it's not like we got punked by some russians or the french or worst of all fucking chelsea.

Totally agree.

The referee had an absolute shocker, should've just stuck him in a red shirt. It's performances like that from officials that makes me question the integrity of the game.

Saying that, we could've easily won it. slightly unfortunate they caught us out on the counter but felt we wasted the whole first half.

Probably in the minority here, but i thought we played this tie perfectly. Great football match, but not the result to top it off. Was wonderful to watch. Was biting my nails, screaming, shouting. This for me, is what football is all about. Great night.

Really wish Barfa could have scored that time when he cut inside and blasted over. Would have pushed me over the edge if he had scored.

Absolutely gutted that the journey is over. It was a good effort on our part but just not quite enough.

So proud to be a fan.

Same. Very proud to be a fan. Bloody love our players as well.

Bring on Sunday.

Good post.

Every week we have to face a side that plays with no striker, just a couple of quick guys with no intent to shoot whatsoever, just get some free-kicks, yellow cards and corners, the only real play those teams have. There's hardly more than 1 minute without the game stopping and every time it takes another minute to resume cause the guy will push his socks up and tie his shoes. And the ref will whistle any contact or if he's really lazy, any fall by any player. Zero intensity. I think that's our main problem, nobody wants/can run for 90 minutes so they all try to kill as much time as they can  :blush:

btw, 13th european semi-final for us, more than all the other portuguese clubs put together (12)  :aww:

:rose:

Guest P.Aimar10

From a Benfica fan, Ill tell you that Newcastle has way too much attacking talent to be entering games with such a negative mindset. Id understand if you guys play like that agaisnt man utd or so, but not the average premier league team.

Hope next year you can finish in the top 5 again, like you deserve!

Have had a softspot for newcastle since my older brother ended up managing newcastle one time at Championship Manager in the late 90s xD He built a team around Shearer(who else?) and hed score 3 or 4 per game :D I used to spend a lot of time watching him play that game.

Its easy for us benfica fans to be magnanimous after weve won, but know that wed have the same opinion should we have lost. Your stadium was rocking with pure football love, and the way you cheered your team after the 1-1 is just chilling. You dont see any of that in with plastic c**t fans like chelsea.

Also, sorry for the diving our players do once again, it gets on my nerves aswell and Im a benfica fan.

Good luck next Sunday! Youll have us benfica fans cheering for you!

Great night, great game... Thought at 1-0 we still had a goal in us, and Ben Arfa's chance was the best opportunity for that, once it was missed it was always likely they would score with us so open at the back.

Fantastic effort and no shame to go out to the best side left in the competition. Hopefully the way we played 2nd half we continue into Sunday.