Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

Too much damage in the first leg to repair. We gifted them two goals in Lisbon and then wanting to come back into the tie. Too much of an ask even if we were Man City or Man U.

Well done Benfica. In the end I can understand why Pardew set up like he did, and it almost worked. Really sad to go out but hadn't expected to go this far in the first place. Think we'll thrash the mackems on Sunday, like.

We were out on our feet by the end because we'd let them walk around for 65mins. Such backwards logic to hope that we'd suddenly be able to turn it on. They wobbled for a spell of about ten minutes during which time we didn't even make the goalkeeper make a meaningful save. Then they got their shit together again.

Nobody will convince me that we couldn't have been more positive in this match without going all-out attack and giving goals away by default. Oh, and they could have EASILY been out of sight by half time even given our ultra-defensive approach. We cleared one off the line ffs.

:thup:

Good game! As a Benfica fan, I must say, you have a great stadium.

Now... about the match, I have to say we were very good on the first half, BUT normally we are more efficient. We should have scored one or two goals in the first half. I missed Cardozo to be honest.

On the second half, the match was not that good, I think we could have done better, and we could have lost with that stupid mistake by Matic. Anyway we were stronger in my opinion in both matches. Newcastle is a good team, but I dont really like the style of play, too many balls kicked up to Cisse and Ameobi.

Hope you guys win all the matches in PL, I enjoyed to come to your forum, and I will support you from now. Thank you, and best wishes.

Hope you stick around, want to congratulate you on beating Chelsea :thup:

Fair play to the Benfiquista fans on here (or whatever they're called :lol:), a much deserved victory for your team. Unfortunately, I think you have far too many cheating cunts in your team to like you guys that much, but it can't be denied that you play beautiful football and the overwhelming majority of your fans are great :thup:

As for us... well, brave effort in the second half. Left wondering what could have been had that HBA shot stayed under the bar.

Very sad to go out obviously, and with it the last fun part of the season. The rest is just trying to stay in the division - which we should be okay with.

In terms of players, lovely to see HBA back - Marv too. Such a smart player with such great awareness, maybe better awareness than anyone else on our books in fact. A shimmy and a layoff here, and the pitch opens up for us. He knows when to hold on to the ball and when to release it.

Massive shame we only got to see that for the last half hour, which inevitably brings us to Pardew's gameplan...

...I said before the game I'd wait and see, and to be honest, we executed his gameplan perfectly. To the letter. I've no doubt he'll come out in his interview and tell us about how proud he is of the effort of the players.

This match confirms to me (though I had little remaining doubt) that this is the very peak of his powers. What good Pardew has been achieve here so far is his glass ceiling. The barrier he cannot break. The scrappy "stay in it" and nick something at this level is the best he can get out of our squad.

And it's not just because we're facing Benfica - a quality side it must be said - because this season's European adventure has not been a swashbuckling adventure. We've ground and ground like Rafael Nadal the whole way through, eking and clawing results with defensive football. That kind of football can only take you so far, and Pardew took us as far as he possibly could with it - and in some respects, deserve some credit for it.

If we had a manager who could unlock the qualities in our squad (which we saw glimpses of at the end, when the mere presence of HBA or Marveaux on the ball had their diving twats scurrying back to hide behind their goalposts) and put us on the front foot in games more often... well... who knows where we could go.

Williamson deserves credit for a reliable performance too, though he won't get any.

Fair play. Last 8 in Europe with a squad like that. We've done ourselves proud.

Getting out of that group was no big deal, ffs. :facepalm:

I never mentioned the group, though. We've done well looking at some of the absolute crap we've had to field.

Don't think we've fielded "absolute crap" against Metalist and Anji then.

We were hardly that convincing against those two clubs either, were we? (Unless you're easily pleased and have low standards.)

We were out on our feet by the end because we'd let them walk around for 65mins. Such backwards logic to hope that we'd suddenly be able to turn it on. They wobbled for a spell of about ten minutes during which time we didn't even make the goalkeeper make a meaningful save. Then they got their s*** together again.

Nobody will convince me that we couldn't have been more positive in this match without going all-out attack and giving goals away by default. Oh, and they could have EASILY been out of sight by half time even given our ultra-defensive approach. We cleared one off the line ffs.

You're pissing into wind mate. 'Our tactics were spot on', 'Pards did nothing wrong' blah blah.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Great match, great pressure by United, great final response by Benfica.

I feel like I've ran a marathon, this kind of game is exhausting  :buck2:

The atmosphere at SJP was electrifying, what a night.

Your coach got it almost all figured out, a goal on 70th minute then a late goal, that was very close  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Happy Benfica went through, happy to have played such a good side with truly great fans.

Wish you guys all the best in EPL and for your big game on weekend, I think all of us who have been hanging around here will now have a second club, in England O0

Guest rdr10

It was a thrilling game, my heart in the last 20 minutes almost crashed  :lol:

Benfica players got nervous after that silly mistake of Matic (Newcastle goal) and Newcastle with the help of the fans tried hard to get the 2-0, I'm glad Newcastle didn't make it but for 20 minutes I had my balls well hide  :buck2:

About the diving I don't agree, I really think that the ref should have give more cards, Salvio suffered 4 fouls in 10 minutes in the first half and nothing :X

About the time wasted I was in the stadium (first leg) and your goalkeeper in EVERY single goal kick lost a lot of time so it's the same :)

It was nice to meet you, next weekend I will be here cheering for you guys :D

GOOD LUCK  :smitten:

I'm not much of a believer in luck, but f***ing hell Cisse could've had about six goals over the two legs.

Anyway, I'm proud of our efforts in the first half there and in the second half here. We bloody went for it and showed great spirit in the second half tonight and went out to one of the most against the run of play goals I've seen. Gutted, but very proud of our lads tonight.

Best of luck to Benfica, who showed how good a side they are over the two legs (while wishing to be humble and that and not mention the shitty decisions and poor gamesmanship) Would rather they win it than f***ing Spurs or Chelsea tbh.

Cheers for your kind words, Portuguese lot.

Fair play to the Benfiquista fans on here (or whatever they're called :lol:), a much deserved victory for your team. Unfortunately, I think you have far too many cheating c***s in your team to like you guys that much, but it can't be denied that you play beautiful football and the overwhelming majority of your fans are great :thup:

As for us... well, brave effort in the second half. Left wondering what could have been had that HBA shot stayed under the bar.

Very sad to go out obviously, and with it the last fun part of the season. The rest is just trying to stay in the division - which we should be okay with.

In terms of players, lovely to see HBA back - Marv too. Such a smart player with such great awareness, maybe better awareness than anyone else on our books in fact. A shimmy and a layoff here, and the pitch opens up for us. He knows when to hold on to the ball and when to release it.

Massive shame we only got to see that for the last half hour, which inevitably brings us to Pardew's gameplan...

...I said before the game I'd wait and see, and to be honest, we executed his gameplan perfectly. To the letter. I've no doubt he'll come out in his interview and tell us about how proud he is of the effort of the players.

This match confirms to me (though I had little remaining doubt) that this is the very peak of his powers. What good Pardew has been achieve here so far is his glass ceiling. The barrier he cannot break. The scrappy "stay in it" and nick something at this level is the best he can get out of our squad.

And it's not just because we're facing Benfica - a quality side it must be said - because this season's European adventure has not been a swashbuckling adventure. We've ground and ground like Rafael Nadal the whole way through, eking and clawing results with defensive football. That kind of football can only take you so far, and Pardew took us as far as he possibly could with it - and in some respects, deserve some credit for it.

If we had a manager who could unlock the qualities in our squad (which we saw glimpses of at the end, when the mere presence of HBA or Marveaux on the ball had their diving t***s scurrying back to hide behind their goalposts) and put us on the front foot in games more often... well... who knows where we could go.

Williamson deserves credit for a reliable performance too, though he won't get any.

I'm quite pissed but thats the best post in terms of 'sensibleness' in ages. Spot on, totally agree.

Guest benfiquista

Newcastle fans should be proud of the way their club played in both matches. I imagine that frustration is big at the moment, but as you slowly come to your senses you'll come to the realisation that this was actually a very good night for the club.

On the game, we started the game well, but then Newcastle's inability to create danger put us in sleep mode and we were actually thinking that we could get away with a clean sheet. What could go wrong, right?  :whistle:

Hated Benfica's approach to the game but that only shows respect for Newcastle, who in the end proved to deserve it.

See you all soon. Hopefully we can meet again so that I can visit St James Park, which I couldn't this time around. Best of luck to the club! :indi:

If we played with the same urgency we showed in those 15 min.. Oh well, its been fun. I just ask Benfica to please beat Chelsea. Please.

They would have scored earlier if we played like we did in the last 20. Can't believe I'm going to say this, but Pards tactics worked very well.

You're right. Its just frustrating when you see moments of what we could be, versus the 'style' we play normally. With a bit more execution and composure things may have been different.

Think we gave it our best shot - was just disappointing that we backed off from them for too long and showed them far too much respect. In saying that, they are a very good side. It's been a good adventure - everyone can hold their heads high. Bring on the mackems on Sunday. :)