Newcastle 1 - 1 Benfica - 11/04/13 (2 - 4 on agg) - post-match reaction from p60

Dave

Guest Bruno_SLB

Fair play to you guys! Im very happy and relified Benfica went through, but the minutes after you made it 1-0, i couldnt even watch the match. I still dont believe we didnt suffer another goal.

Until that fucking pathetic mistake by Matic (almost as bad as Santon in the first game) the game was somehow controlled by Benfica, and we had everything going our way. But you made it really hard for us.

Congratulations, you showed a lot of heart in the last minutes, and i sincerly wish many lucks to you guys for the rest of the season. Your fans (and Benfica fans also) at St.James Park were phenomenal! :)

Guest bimpy474

We were out on our feet by the end because we'd let them walk around for 65mins. Such backwards logic to hope that we'd suddenly be able to turn it on. They wobbled for a spell of about ten minutes during which time we didn't even make the goalkeeper make a meaningful save. Then they got their s*** together again.

Nobody will convince me that we couldn't have been more positive in this match without going all-out attack and giving goals away by default. Oh, and they could have EASILY been out of sight by half time even given our ultra-defensive approach. We cleared one off the line ffs.

You're pissing into wind mate. 'Our tactics were spot on', 'Pards did nothing wrong' blah blah.

Exactly, we are now reduced to being satisfied with, being negative and hoping to still be in a game with 20 minutes to go, then have a go. I can't stand it, i want us to attack (sensibly from the off, playing to our strengths). Keeping the ball, passing the ball like football should be played. But Pardew's way is to make the game ugly and nick wins.

I'll be fucked if i'm going to accept, boring negative football for most of the game. And i'm talking about every game, we approach them all in this way, not just a Europa 2nd leg.

Guest The Legendary Tiger Man

Benfiquista - do you think you would have lost if HBA had played 180 minutes? :bluestar:

No.

Back when he was playing for Marseille, we also went to their stadium and scored a very late goal to qualify, so I think HBA is some kind of a talisman for us  :aww:

No offense to the Benfican's, just as it's been said there was far too much cheating from your team for us to really give you much respect.

Tonight I can understand the time wasting (though not in the 20th minute though), the majority of it came in the first leg, constantly going down when players weren't around you, trying to get players booked etc. I'm sorry but respect is lost then.

Sorry to say it but I don't think you are half as good as you make out either, in the first leg you only looked threatening on the break, after we stopped attacking we really shouldn't have conceded.

Benfiquista - do you think you would have lost if HBA had played 180 minutes? :bluestar:

Never mind them, I think most of us think they would. His impact was clear, just like Messi's was like night. Picked everyone up momentarily.

Aside from the result though I think had I not been to Brugge and Benfica away, been a pretty mediocre campaign in terms of performances. Having said that, with the squads we've been fielding, can't complain too much.

FT: f*** off Pardew

I'd normally agree. But he had the tactics spot on. Would've got murdered pressing for the goals the whole 90

Bingo. I've slated Pardew for most of the season for the negative stuff but I can completely understand how we played tonight. Any Benfica goal killed the tie stone dead, going hell for leather from the off would have left too much space at the back. We clearly got the first and threw everything at them to get the second and had Benfica on the ropes. We just couldn't quite finish the job and get the second goal.

We were forced to show a bit of restraint due to being 2 goals down from the first leg, it wasn't like we started the tie at 0-0 tonight. No blame attached to Pardew tonight from me.

I have defended Pardew more than most, certainly you in recent weeks, but I just can't understand this way of thinking at all. This was a game in which we needed a convincing win, a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to the semis in a European competition against a very beatable opponent, as we saw last week. Since we were two goals down we essentially had nothing to lose at the start of the match, and all to gain. Just go at them from the off, put them under pressure and try to get an early goal. Yes, you may not get the early goal, tire badly and get picked off later in the match as you run out of steam, but I don't think anybody would have complained if at least we would have tried. As it is, we tried to calculate our way to the semis, sat back for far too long, looked nervous and unsure what to do for the entire first half and gave them the initiative, resulting in a good number of chances for them that could, and arguably should, have seen them through well before the "planned" point in the game when we finally spurred into action. It was all very reasoned, and counter intuitive to any football player, and that showed through in our performance. In the last half an hour we showed we were capable of hurting them, partly through bringing on our creative players. I would much rather have seen at least one of them (Marv) from the off to get Benfica on the back foot early on.

In short: the fact that the gameplan nearly worked should not be mistaken for it being a good gameplan.

Guest bimpy474

I'd normally agree. But he had the tactics spot on. Would've got murdered pressing for the goals the whole 90

Bingo. I've slated Pardew for most of the season for the negative stuff but I can completely understand how we played tonight. Any Benfica goal killed the tie stone dead, going hell for leather from the off would have left too much space at the back. We clearly got the first and threw everything at them to get the second and had Benfica on the ropes. We just couldn't quite finish the job and get the second goal.

We were forced to show a bit of restraint due to being 2 goals down from the first leg, it wasn't like we started the tie at 0-0 tonight. No blame attached to Pardew tonight from me.

I have defended Pardew more than most, certainly you in recent weeks, but I just can't understand this way of thinking at all. This was a game in which we needed a convincing win, a once in a lifetime opportunity to get to the semis in a European competition against a very beatable opponent, as we saw last week. Since we were two goals down we essentially had nothing to lose at the start of the match, and all to gain. Just go at them from the off, put them under pressure and try to get an early goal. Yes, you may not get the early goal, tire badly and get picked off later in the match as you run out of steam, but I don't think anybody would have complained if at least we would have tried. As it is, we tried to calculate our way to the semis, sat back for far too long, looked nervous and unsure what to do for the entire first half and gave them the initiative, resulting in a good number of chances for them that could, and arguably should, have seen them through well before the "planned" point in the game when we finally spurred into action. It was all very reasoned, and counter intuitive to any football player, and that showed through in our performance. In the last half an hour we showed we were capable of hurting them, partly through bringing on our creative players. I would much rather have seen at least one of them (Marv) from the off to get Benfica on the back foot early on.

In short: the fact that the gameplan nearly worked should not be mistaken for it being a good gameplan.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

Anyone know why suddenly the first row of the Gallowgate can't be used in Europe? As far as I'm aware the first row is far enough away not to pose a safety threat, hence why in all our games gone by we have been able to use it.

Just got in. Were either of our offside goals onside?

Both looked clearly offside, but the ITV graphic showed an outstretched defender's leg on the far side which looked to be playing him on to be for the first goal.

Only showed it once though, so not sure.

Benfica can f*** right off. Well done on all the cheating and time wasting. Disgusting. Hope you get battered in the next round.

This isn't 100% fear, NUFC also lost time in Estádio da Luz.

But you guys are in pieces, and I am truly sorry for you because you're such a great bunch of people.

I am really sorry you guys are out, I just hope everyone still gets along after this because I am not planning to leave.

For my side, the best part of the 1/4 finals was to meet all of you  O0

Nowt against the fans Jotenko. The players you have are an utter disgrace, namely Perez and that fuckwit of a goalkeeper. Believe me, your team plays good enough football to do without all the cheating. It would be understandable at least if your team was s***, but it isn't. It's f***ing embarrassing.

It would be the same thing if you played Porto. Or Sporting. Or Braga. Or.. or... or...

It's a matter of culture.

No doubt yours is better.

But things are what they are.

However, if you want to have a fair discussion, you'll have to admit that NUFC also lost some time at Lisbon.

I'll have to watch the whole thing again because I don't recall any of our players diving around like nancies when barely touched. Sure Krul would have taken too long taking a free-kick or two, but nothing more from memory.

Either way, it's been wonderful having you guys on these boards, and I hope you stick around. I also hope you'll have a new soft spot for NUFC, especially this coming Sunday.

I am pretty sure that was true because I was behind your goal going nuts with your players losing time. But oh well...

O0 it was a great tie.

Surprised Marv didn't start. Giving respect is one thing but cutting off your own arm is another.

We were out on our feet by the end because we'd let them walk around for 65mins. Such backwards logic to hope that we'd suddenly be able to turn it on. They wobbled for a spell of about ten minutes during which time we didn't even make the goalkeeper make a meaningful save. Then they got their s*** together again.

Nobody will convince me that we couldn't have been more positive in this match without going all-out attack and giving goals away by default. Oh, and they could have EASILY been out of sight by half time even given our ultra-defensive approach. We cleared one off the line ffs.

:clap:

Unfortunately, whilst in recent home games the last minute winners have come out of the blue, I think we set ourselves up almost relying upon it tonight. And you can't force something like that.

Absolutely devastated right now.