Why no playoffs?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Basically what I'm trying to say is that some teams are better suited to playing against better sides where they can sit back and counter rather than playing against smaller teams where they have to create. I think that this system would benefit those teams rather than teams that play good football and don't play a boring risk free style

:lol: And then teams would adapt to it and it would stop working. God forbid managers would have to evolve tactically or be found out. We don't live in a world where Greece runs shit, right? It might work once, but so what?

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for cunts like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

How so? Those managers don't do well in the cups as it is right now.

They'd only have to play against the big teams in the playoffs, there wouldn't be any need to attack or try to create something such as there would be if they played a smaller team

What about in the CL or any competition for that matter? When Barca, Bayern or Real play a lesser team who defends and plays that style, they usually win. The best team always wins no matter what. That's just how it is.

They are so much better than the other teams that it doesn't matter. It isn't fair that a team like Liverpool who rely on hard running and counter attacking with not much quality or flair beat Arsenal in a one-off game, having finished 20 points behind them and then they win the league

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for cunts like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

They'd only have to play against the big teams in the playoffs, there wouldn't be any need to attack or try to create something such as there would be if they played a smaller team

What about in the CL or any competition for that matter? When Barca, Bayern or Real play a lesser team who defends and plays that style, they usually win. The best team always wins no matter what. That's just how it is.

They are so much better than the other teams that it doesn't matter. It isn't fair that a team like Liverpool who rely on hard running and counter attacking with not much quality or flair beat Arsenal in a one-off game, having finished 20 points behind them and then they win the league

See, I don't know what you mean by fair. The team that wins the playoffs is the best team.

See, I don't know what you mean by fair. The team that wins the playoffs is the best team.

Now I can't go with that. They're the best team on that day. The one that matches up the best / is in the best form etc. They're not necessarily the best team over the year.

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for c***s like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

The part in bold is your only legitimate argument. It's perfectly valid and why the current setup is far superior. The styles of teams is personal preference and meaningless.

Always was an overstatement, but it may work here and there but it rarely works over the course of a season, like Mike said.

I can only think of Atletico Madrid's La Liga win as an example of this and still that was pretty exciting as they came out of nowhere and defied the odds.

Either way, if you want a playoff, you got the FA Cup and League Cup. League is perfect the way it is.

It would just lead to a perfect scenario for c***s like Mourinho, Pardew, Big Sam, Pulis IMO. Sit back, defend with 10 men back, get a set piece, win 1-0 or bring it to penalties

The part in bold is your only legitimate argument. It's perfectly valid and why the current setup is far superior. The styles of teams is personal preference and meaningless.

Aye, that part in bold has nowt to do with the point he's been making up until then. I think most of us agrees that play offs are stupid, and much for that reason, but it has nowt to do with style of play.

I'm not saying its unfair they win because they're defensive. Atletico Madrid are defensive yet they win most of their games against all different types of opposition, I have no problem with that. I'm saying its unfair they win because the only reason they win is because they only have to play against teams that suit their style, while teams like Arsenal and Man City can hammer most of the teams in the league yet they'll get undone in a one off game against a team that are perfectly set up to play against them. Liverpool so far under Klopp are set up so that their best performances will be against the best teams, doesn't mean they deserve to win the league when they lose to the likes of us.

I'm not saying its unfair they win because they're defensive. Atletico Madrid are defensive yet they win most of their games against all different types of opposition, I have no problem with that. I'm saying its unfair they win because the only reason they win is because they only have to play against teams that suit their style, while teams like Arsenal and Man City can hammer most of the teams in the league yet they'll get undone in a one off game against a team that are perfectly set up to play against them. Liverpool so far under Klopp are set up so that their best performances will be against the best teams, doesn't mean they deserve to win the league when they lose to the likes of us.

You'd prefer your champ to be a team that can batter watford but can't beat Liverpool?

You'd prefer your champ to be a team that can batter watford but can't beat Liverpool?

I'd prefer my champ to be the team that gets the most points over the course of a season, against all teams i.e. the way it currently is, rather than a team who can't break down the smaller teams consistently but can frustrate and defend well against better teams and hope to bring it to penalties or nick a goal from a set piece in a one off game

Always was an overstatement, but it may work here and there but it rarely works over the course of a season, like Mike said.

I can only think of Atletico Madrid's La Liga win as an example of this and still that was pretty exciting as they came out of nowhere and defied the odds.

Either way, if you want a playoff, you got the FA Cup and League Cup. League is perfect the way it is.

If you think that's the case, I don't ever wanna fucking hear you lament how it's always the same 4-5 clubs winning shit, or how good players always run from smaller, weaker clubs for the Man City's and Chelsea's of the league.

I'd prefer my champ to be the team that gets the most points over the course of a season, against all teams i.e. the way it currently is, rather than a team who can't break down the smaller teams consistently but can frustrate and defend well against better teams and hope to bring it to penalties or nick a goal from a set piece in a one off game

Yeah okay but we've already established that the "frustrate and nick a goal" tactic has worked about twice in the last 1000 years in the cup competitions.

I'll stick by it, the average PL finish will never be as thrilling as in any given NFL season. You have one ending every so often in which two teams are down to the wire on matchday 38, but there's no fucking excitement at all when someone wraps it up 3 weeks before the end. :lol: