Alan Pardew

Mike

Guest icemanblue

We're shit, it's his fault.

Yeah, that would have worked better. Succinct, to the point. Snappy. Would look good on a poster.

Guest neesy111

We've scored directly from FK's through Cabaye & Raylor, it should have said scored in-directly from a FK i.e. a ball into the box.

Ok fair enough, it was a shit post but i couldn't be arsed to fully research it.

Replace 'set pieces' with 'corners' though and it sounds just a bad. We are not having a bit of trouble with corners, we are beyond fucking useless at them.

We might as well just hoof the ball back to our keeper from the corner flag for all the good our set plays do.

Blaming Pardew for everything that ever went wrong?! Really?

I blame him for not being able to do the things that fall under his remit - tactics, team lineups, in-game changes, constant failure from set corner routines that he has orchestrated.  Who else do you suggest is to blame for this stuff?

The players have to shoulder the blame for not performing well enough individually and as a collective but they are not in control of any of the things listed above.

I don't buy into blaming "bad luck" or reffing decisions, (a) you make your own luck (b) if you take your chances the luck is irrelevant and © all teams have a run of the good and bad, over the course of a season this should and in most cases does even out.

The reason the bad luck stands out so much is that even when things do go our way we lose anyway and so the good luck goes under the radar.

Blaming Pardew for everything that ever went wrong?! Really?

I blame him for not being able to do the things that fall under his remit - tactics, team lineups, in-game changes, constant failure from set corner routines that he has orchestrated.  Who else do you suggest is to blame for this stuff?

You're absolutely right tbf. Any argument in support of Pardew is fucked when actual facts and figures are invoked, that's why intangibles like "stability" are quoted instead.

Stability. It's tricky. SBR had a few poor seasons at the start of his reign, but we persevered. Because he was Bobby Robson. In five years time Pardew is still gonna be Alan Pardew.

I love the idea of standing by your manager and having a good working relationship with them. However, its irrelevant if they aren't good enough.

We need to hire a proven top level manager. We can do that by showing ambition, look at Spurs. Once we have done that, then we can stick by them, through the rough and smooth.

We're shit, it's his fault.

Again this is the long and short of it.

And we are also dull as dishwater just to add insult to injury.

This is what's bothered me this season: we are so ridiculously turgid. It's hard work watching a match that kicks off at 2am when the fare being offered is almost guarenteed to put you to sleep!

Stability. It's tricky. SBR had a few poor seasons at the start of his reign, but we persevered. Because he was Bobby Robson. In five years time Pardew is still gonna be Alan Pardew.

Yep, people go on about Ferguson ( well idiots to be precise) but Ferguson had come from Aberdeen where he won the league 3 times, the cup 4 times and the Uefa Cup Winners cup beating Real Madrid along the way.

Pardew will never be anything more than a championship manager, who once punched insanely above his weight.

Guest neesy111

Robson got us out of the mire, remember we were bottom when he took over.  Pardew took us over in mid-table.

Guest Roger Kint

Robson got us out of the mire, remember we were bottom when he took over.  Pardew took us over in mid-table.

52 points in 30 games was a great return giving how were we before him.

That too, we were a dire mess when he took over and slowly but surely made the team entertaining to watch while challenging for trophies and playing in the CL.

Pardew will never make that happen even if he were given 50 years.

The worrying thing about Pardew is that he still hasn't got this team to look like a cohesive unit on a consistent basis all season. Forget set pieces for now, simply looking like a well balanced football team that defend to a decent standard, keep the ball to some degree and threaten the opposition goal would be fantastic.

It all started with the unnecessary pissing around with formations at the beginning of the year. Players lost confidence and form, the team lost momentum, Pardew made comical decisions under pressure and we've been playing catch-up ever since.

He's still fiddling about as well, shitting himself when we've had 2 attacking full backs starting which led to the front 6 being messed about (see Liverpool), using Sissoko as some pseudo-striker and constantly bringing Shola on no matter the opposition. We looked a lot better last week because we went back to basics but was that a result of injuries?

I'm hoping the Summer can clear his head and having less pressure will see him return to a calmer place where he makes rational decisions.

As has said before I'd stand by the manager if he was implementing a clear top to bottom club strategy or there were other mitigating circumstances (player sales, financial hardship, owner unrest etc.) but does not seem to be the case & if it is (which I doubt) it's certainly not being communicated.

I'm not really pushing the stability argument myself, but surely the argument is that the normal time-frame of one/two seasons is too short a period in which to really assess how good a manager is?

So responses like "stability is only good if the manager is right" are fair enough, but don't they also depend on the premise that we need to take enough time to decide if he's 'right'? If you've come to a conclusion on that then fair play to you, but I can understand the argument that a proper conclusion should take longer to form.

Pardew wasn't solely responsible for us finishing 5th obviously, but it has to go as a positive on his record.

Ever thought that the 8 year contract was not more to do with compensation for us if the success continued and a bigger club came calling?

On balance that's probably the more likely. Especially if it's structured to put most of the power in Ashley's hands. Which it probably is.

Guest firetotheworks

The anti-Pardew folk remind me of the political left. Aye, I agree with pretty much everything you have to say, but by god you're fucking irritatingly smug about it.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PEl-oQHTVkg/SHfTk46ADmI/AAAAAAAAAAs/aapjLG5Y9Kc/s320/south-park-smug-313.gif

Is that type of player found exclusively in the English leagues like? :dontknow:

Anyway, as I said earlier I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Going by the poll, about half of the forum agrees with me.

Just catching up with this thread, but Dave is absolutely right here, people thinking Pardew is gone are getting way ahead of themselves. He still could be even if we stay up but the signs are not their that Ashley will ditch his pal at all. My gut feeling is that as Dave says there will be a lot of very disappointed people here. Personally I think he'll be gone 10 - 15 games into 2013/14 if we start the season like we have finished this one, by ten of course you can write off that season and we will have slim pickings for our next manager.