Alan Pardew

Mike

As I've said before if he had any semblance of a philosophy (god I hate that term) that he was trying to imprint on the club people would give him more time but he doesn't and he's had 2.5 seasons to imprint one from a fairly solid base. It's all very slapdash and it shows.

crux of the problem imo, the base he inherited was right up his street as a manager but the ground has shifted under his feet with the players we're bringing in and the expectations from one good season - he can't cope with that and can't adapt to it

i expect next season with him trying to start how last season began, that is his "philosophy"

Do you think he coaches the team to attack dangerously?

No

Is he able to maintain a well drilled defensive structure?

The first 11 games of last season suggest that he is able to drill a settled back 4 to work together and be hard to break down.  We had the best defence in the league at that point.  This season too, we only lost 2 of the first 10 games.  Chelsea and man U the only teams good enough to take 3 points. Up to that point (when Coloccini got himself a straight red and a 3 match ban) we'd conceded the same as Man U.

Is he able to do both of the above at the same time?

No

Do you think he keeps the players fit enough?

Our uninjured players seem fit enough.  We've scored more last minute winners than in anyu other season I remember.

Do you think he sends the players out positively, and with confidence?

No

Do you like his ability to change a game?

No, he has little to no options from the bench to change a game...but he is also tactically flawed.

Do you think he sets the team up well from the start?

Apart from the odd occasion, like playing Perch and Tiote in the middle.

Do you like the style of football he employs?

No

Does he get the best out of his players?

No

Do you think players have improved significantly under his coaching? If so, which ones?

Taylor has had a couple of his better seasons.  Perch has been transformed into a cult hero. 

Do you think his tactics are sensible?

Rarely

Does he get the best out of his squad i.e. do you think he’s able to work well when players are injured or suspended?

No

Given that he doesn't have a massive say in who we sign, do you think his football is the right football for the type of players we purchase?

No

Are you excited by the prospect of an NUFC led by Pardew into next season?

No

Now my questions for you.

What makes you think Mike Ashley has the wherewithal to bring in a manager who, with a neutral budget and one of the lowest salries in the league, can challenge for anything more than mid-table season after season?

I'm sure there are plenty managers who would be willing to work under Ashley's restrictions tbh, it's a far sight better than the vast majority of clubs in world football regardless of how hard done to we may feel. Proportionate to the size of the club he's not all that great, even if I agree with some of his policies, but we're a far more attractive proposition than the likes of Wigan (who's manager has just won the FA Cup) or Swansea (who's manager has just won the League Cup). Many managers would bite Ashley's hand of for an opportunity to manage here.

That is Ashley's biggest problem though, the fact that he appears happy to sit with a yes man.

I'd agree with that.  I do think we underplay our potential attraction to other managers.  I would like to think that a decent manager would look at us and see that we have the nucleus of a good team and see an opportunity to become a club legend.

I really hope that Ashley doesn't waste the opportunity to make the best of what is a talented squad.  I honestly think it would be quie simple to get a better manager on a similar salary to Pardew's.

No

The first 11 games of last season suggest that he is able to drill a settled back 4 to work together and be hard to break down.  We had the best defence in the league at that point.  This season too, we only lost 2 of the first 10 games.  Chelsea and man U the only teams good enough to take 3 points. Up to that point (when Coloccini got himself a straight red and a 3 match ban) we'd conceded the same as Man U.

No

Our uninjured players seem fit enough.  We've scored more last minute winners than in anyu other season I remember.

No

No, he has little to no options from the bench to change a game...but he is also tactically flawed.

No

No

Do you think players have improved significantly under his coaching? If so, which ones?

Taylor has had a couple of his better seasons.  Perch has been transformed into a cult hero. 

Rarely

Does he get the best out of his squad i.e. do you think he’s able to work well when players are injured or suspended?

No

Given that he doesn't have a massive say in who we sign, do you think his football is the right football for the type of players we purchase?

No

No

What makes you think Mike Ashley has the wherewithal to bring in a manager who, with a neutral budget and one of the l;owest salries in the league, can challenge for anything more than mid-table season after season?

What makes you think Ashley wouldn't offer a better manager a better salary?

Neutral transfer budget counts for nothing. Nowt wrong with our transfer business.

Bizarrely if he stays I think he'll start next season as the 3rd longest serving Premier League manager at the same club (can only think of Pulis and Wenger with longer?)

Stability.

While I by no means blame our disastrous season on these things, I am keen to see how a Pardew led Newcastle will manage without the extra pressure of Europe and the harsh luck with regards to injuries. If anything, just to see what sort of excuses he dreams up when the shit hits the fan again.

Of course I'd like him to resign next Monday and we can bring in a coach who can use the players we have to produce some lovely, positive football, that we know the players are capable of.

Not being local, I don’t know how typical the views expressed on here are, in terms of general opinion on Tyneside. But I’m a bit worried that I might be seeing the start of a sort of self-destructive meltdown that I’ve seen before.

Ours is a very well-supported club, which has the pressures and opportunities that fall in that wake. When we’re doing badly, a lot of anger develops, and this is unfortunately coupled with gloating by the media, who long to write another chapter of failure in the history of this crazy-club-that-continues-to-under-achieve etc etc These twin pressures then start to affect the manager and the players, and we head into a downward spiral. A bad situation becomes worse.

Pardew has made some mistakes, and I’m not completely convinced about him. I don’t feel I’ve got a grip on what he’s aiming for in terms of the team’s style etc. But I can understand the owner wanting to get out of the syndrome of sacking the manager when there’s a bad spell and the pressure is on. It can sometimes become the only way of relieving the pressure, but I’d rather any decision was made on rational terms, rather than driven by emotion from the stands.

The crucial thing for me would be whether Pardew has still got the support of the players. If he has – and there don’t seem to be any rumours to the contrary – then I’d give him another season.

You make some fair points but personally I don't need to hear any rumours, I trust my eyes and for the last few weeks I've been watching a team that's given up on the manager.

No

No

No

No

No

Rarely

No

No

No

What makes you think Mike Ashley has the wherewithal to bring in a manager who, with a neutral budget and one of the lowest salries in the league, can challenge for anything more than mid-table season after season?

Surely you need to be asking yourself why you're happy to stick with a manager who by your own admission:

Doesn't coach the team to attack dangerously.

Doesn't send the players out positively or with confidence.

Is tactically flawed.

Cannot change the flow if a game.

Doesn't get the best out of his team (the starting XI and the squad as a whole).

Isn't right for the type of players that we are keen on purchasing.

Doesn't fill you with excitement going into next season.

People are perfectly entitled to their opinion but it'd be nice to hear some reasoning behind why next season would be more like last and less like this. Other than pure chance of course.

A fully fit Krul & HBA is worth about 10 points a season alone imo. If he's lucky and they stay fit I'd imagine we'll stumble to around 50 points. Plus I reckon Cisse will get an extra half dozen goals.

Nothing of Pardew's doing but players alone will get us around the upper mid-table mark.

i don't think next season will be as bad, however if cabs & hba etc. are dead set against playing for this joker again next season and start demanding moves i think they might can pardew in favour of keeping a group of players together that they've worked very hard to acquire...it's probably our best hope

also hoping that if he's been told he's in the job it's simply to keep his mouth shut in the press while they search for a replacement

Did you read his post game comments? He seemed incredibly positive about next season at the club.

What makes you think Ashley wouldn't offer a better manager a better salary?

The evidence of every appointment he has made previously, the 8 year contract he gave this no-mark and the story this morning that he will be here next year....despite several better manager leaving their current jobs or being available following relegation.

Apart from that why are you confident Ashley has the ambition to bring in a proven manager?

Is tactically flawed.

Doesn't get the best out of his team (the starting XI and the squad as a whole).

I'm not happy with it.

I'm not happy with my small cock but I'm not going to chop the fucker off either.

Is tactically flawed.

I'm not happy with it.

I'm not happy with my small cock but I'm not going to chop the f***er off either.

That's your problem tbh

Times have changed since Ashley's last managerial appointment. Back then, Hughton was having to make do with the squad he'd brought up from the Championship with almost no investment. Fast forward and now we're buying classy internationals worth good money.

I don't see the logic in swearing blind that Ashley will always be happy to give international players to a manager he dredged out of League One, and get no on-pitch return and subsequently less financial return. That may well be the case but I'm willing to take my chances.

Is tactically flawed.

I'm not happy with it.

I'm not happy with my small cock but I'm not going to chop the f***er off either.

Tbf you can't replace your cock.

Hmmm Torn on this...

Really unhappy about the season we have had and the shocking football that I have seen BUT as someone said on FB, If Everton had got rid of Moyes after his Second season I doubt very much that they would be in the premiership now.

I want to blame Europa for the poor season but really don't think thats enough, I think we should give Pards until January...

I'm still holding out hope until there is some form of official statement saying he is staying. Silence is still a positive for me at this moment as there is still a chance they are considering a replacement. (ignoring the chronicle for the time being as there is no substance)

Times have changed since Ashley's last managerial appointment. Back then, Hughton was having to make do with the squad he'd brought up from the Championship with almost no investment. Fast forward and now we're buying classy internationals worth good money.

I don't see the logic in swearing blind that Ashley will always be happy to give international players to a manager he dredged out of League One, and get no on-pitch return and subsequently less financial return. That may well be the case but I'm willing to take my chances.

It does seem unlikely that Ashley would be willing to risk the value of the players we have bought through underachievement if he regards Pardew as being the main reason for our poor performance.  It would fly in the face of everything we think we know about Ashley. 

I can see him persisting with his heaviliy incentive-based managerial contracts though and that will unfortunately limit who we can attract I suspect.

Hmmm Torn on this...

Really unhappy about the season we have had and the shocking football that I have seen BUT as someone said on FB, If Everton had got rid of Moyes after his Second season I doubt very much that they would be in the premiership now.

I want to blame Europa for the poor season but really don't think thats enough, I think we should give Pards until January...

Was Moyes getting sacked by lower league clubs before going to Everton?

I don't see the logic in swearing blind that Ashley will always be happy to give international players to a manager he dredged out of League One. That may well be the case but I'm willing to take my chances.

Times haven't changed at all.  We're in the same league position and we're more worried about relegation.

We sold our best striker weeks after Pardew was appointed rather than offer him an improved deal, we sold our best striker in January rather than offer him an improved deal.

We've never spent any more than £5m in any summer transfer window under Ashley since 2007.

We've a net spent of £10m or thereabouts in each of the last 2 winter windows on bringing in 6 players.

We buy players with resale value...who we can tie up on contracts and get a return on whenever we decide to let them go.  We do not throw millions at managers that provide no compensation whatsoever.

Guest Roger Kint

Good to see that although as expected Pardew will be staying that he is bringing another coach over the summer. Well overdue but hopefully its somebody with some tactical ability rather than yet another 'jobs for the boys' appointment.

Is tactically flawed.

I'm not happy with it.

Tbf you can't replace your cock.

That's the point of the analogy.

I've as much faith in Ashley bringing in better than i have of my cock growing back.

Good to see that although as expected Pardew will be staying that he is bringing another coach over the summer. Well overdue but hopefully its somebody with some tactical ability rather than yet another 'jobs for the boys' appointment.

It will be another 'jobs for the boys' appointment.