Alan Pardew

Mike

tight f***ing spaces?! The amount of teams who bossed the midfield agaisnt us last season just by pressing. What's he watching?

He's watching the 3 players he mentioned. He's not suggesting all of our players are good at it, that's why it's one of our main training focuses at the minute.

Well maybe if he played Marveaux a little more instead of putting f***ing Perch in, it wouldn't have been as bad.

See i like this kind of post, it sums him up. Pardew says something and the reality is completely different. The bloke refuses to let the team play and then moans we don't play enough. What a cock.

Pardew's obviously had a re-think over the Summer, he can only be proven a hypocrite on what he's currently saying after he's had his chance.

True, doesn't explain playing hoofball in the friendly the other night though, of all the times to try something different it's then. He knows no other football, direct unlikable, percentage ugly, whatever you call it. He's a poor Fat Sam.

It would seem illogical to me that he would set up to play passing football one match and then the antithesis the next. It may have possibly been other factors not in his control. I understand your frustration and where you're coming from but, personally, I'm prepared to give him a little bit more of a chance to see what he comes up with.

Same really. If he believed 100% in negative, conservative football I don't see why he wouldn't just say something like that. I know the evidence of the football we've played isn't great, but let's see what he's learned this season.

Guest bimpy474

tight f***ing spaces?! The amount of teams who bossed the midfield agaisnt us last season just by pressing. What's he watching?

He's watching the 3 players he mentioned. He's not suggesting all of our players are good at it, that's why it's one of our main training focuses at the minute.

Well maybe if he played Marveaux a little more instead of putting f***ing Perch in, it wouldn't have been as bad.

See i like this kind of post, it sums him up. Pardew says something and the reality is completely different. The bloke refuses to let the team play and then moans we don't play enough. What a cock.

Pardew's obviously had a re-think over the Summer, he can only be proven a hypocrite on what he's currently saying after he's had his chance.

True, doesn't explain playing hoofball in the friendly the other night though, of all the times to try something different it's then. He knows no other football, direct unlikable, percentage ugly, whatever you call it. He's a poor Fat Sam.

It would seem illogical to me that he would set up to play passing football one match and then the antithesis the next. It may have possibly been other factors not in his control. I understand your frustration and where you're coming from but, personally, I'm prepared to give him a little bit more of a chance to see what he comes up with.

Same really. If he believed 100% in negative, conservative football I don't see why he wouldn't just say something like that. I know the evidence of the football we've played isn't great, but let's see what he's learned this season.

I really want to have this attitude Ian but i just cant. For me i go back to our Set Pieces, if the bloke had the ability to learn he would not have continued with them for the whole of last season. Surely seeing the same thing fail 200 times in a row, would one not learn from it ?

I really want to have this attitude Ian but i just cant. For me i go back to our Set Pieces, if the bloke had the ability to learn he would not have continued with them for the whole of last season. Surely seeing the same thing fail 200 times in a row, would one not learn from it ?

I can't really disagree much with that, the set piece thing is purely mental.

It appears I may have misconstrued those quotes. However I'm not sure what he's really getting at. Games got too big and open? Why was that? It certainly wasn't down to the expansive attacking game we were playing. We do need to work on pressing opposition teams more. If that's what he means by tightness then its a step forward.

If he is seriously looking at the team and its weaknesses then great. My hunch is that he has always been s*** scared of losing the fans and being hounded out of the club. I think that's why he went so conservative last season despite it being detrimental to the team. You'll have to forgive me for treating what he says as cliché ridden nonsense but we have been here before with him.

I think he means we didn't/couldn't retain possession well enough, so games became too open and we couldn't control them. That would explain the focus on keeping possession at the minute, if we improve retention in the face of pressing then we can control matches more.

I wholeheartedly agree with your second paragraph. Personally, I was pretty much done with him at the end of last season, my only hope was that he would come back refreshed and with a new attitude for this one, and he seemingly has. Because he's come back with a different mentality I want to give him a chance, I know we've heard some similar stuff like this before but he's being pretty in-depth rather than mumbling vague ramblings about front-foot football. I'm still cynical to a degree, I'd rather just try to be positive because last year was such a tough one that I don't want to repeat.

As is the Jonas thing.

Yes and no. I personally wouldn't pick him very often, and certainly not wide. But I bet there are quite a lot of professional managers who would like the workrate and defensive cover he brings to the team.

While i'd prefer not to see him get that chance, i will have to reluctantly as he's not going anywhere. Despite hating the s**** football he gives us, i hope he proves me wrong, team comes first.

I'd still prefer someone better came in and there are many that I rate higher. I think we will improve this year, in terms of style and results but not to an amazing level.

Guest bimpy474

FWIW I can't wait for the season to start because at least there is some football interspersed with all the nonsense. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Agreed O0

It benefits him massively to pretend he wants to play positively, as many people lap it up and decide he deserves more time. He's came out with these soundbites many times in the last few years.

It benefits him massively to pretend he wants to play positively, as many people lap it up and decide he deserves more time. He's came out with these soundbites many times in the last few years.

Is he suggesting he wants us to play a little narrower, more compact? If the opposition do the same thing he thinks we have the players to play in tight spaces. Also, if we're more compact then it's harder to play through us, something that seemed delightfully easy for the oppostion last season. Not hard to imagine that Cabaye, Marveaux and Anita can play that way. Can't ever imagine those 3 starting in MF though. Wonder what his idea is?

Is he suggesting he wants us to play a little narrower, more compact? If the opposition do the same thing he thinks we have the players to play in tight spaces. Also, if we're more compact then it's harder to play through us, something that seemed delightfully easy for the oppostion last season. Not hard to imagine that Cabaye, Marveaux and Anita can play that way. Can't ever imagine those 3 starting in MF though. Wonder what his idea is?

That must be the basic gist of it.

http://www.newcastle-online.org/nufcforum/index.php?topic=72878.12605;wap2

A chilling read.

Possible I suppose. I wouldn't say it benefits him massively, but you're right that could be the reason.

Possible I suppose. I wouldn't say it benefits him massively, but you're right that could be the reason.

It does benefit him massively, if he said that his only intention was to play negative, conservative football he'd be hounded out of the club.

I find it hard to disagree with this like, especially given the stuff that guy said about his time at West Ham.

It's not just words though, the training details I've heard and read, Caulkin for example, have mentioned ball retention. Why bother making it a focus if you're not that bothered about it and it goes against what you want to do in the regular season?

Great, I look forward to the new attempt at playing passing football this season. My view is though it's one thing talking about it, but another knowing how to implement it. For some managers it comes naturally, like Dario Gradi who was (is?) at Crewe, Martinez and Keegan. Pardew is a long ball man, and when the pressure comes it's what he'll revert to when the heat is on IMO. We'll see.

Guest palnese

How come Pardew was only focusing one day a week for attacking if he believes in it so much?

Because he's a fucking mong.

It's not just words though, the training details I've heard and read, Caulkin for example, have mentioned ball retention. Why bother making it a focus if you're not that bothered about it and it goes against what you want to do in the regular season?

Great, I look forward to the new attempt at playing passing football this season. My view is though it's one thing talking about it, but another knowing how to implement it. For some managers it comes naturally, like Dario Gradi who was (is?) at Crewe, Martinez and Keegan. Pardew is a long ball man, and when the pressure comes it's what he'll revert to when the heat is on IMO. We'll see.

Can't see him doing anything else. Dyed in the wool percentages man.

But we have played passing football under Pardew before, it seems logical to suggest he knows how. He didn't revert to long ball when the heat was on last year either. Happy Face posted on here that post-January, there were 14 teams that played more long balls a game than us iirc. I don't dispute that he didn't revert to defensive football though.