Alan Pardew

Mike

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes 1m

Interesting that Pardew admits "maybe I tightened us up in terms of expressing ourselves," spent too long on tactics, changing team.

References Sir Bobby as someone who "always got the mood right ... That was maybe what I got wrong last year." #Nufc

Guest bimpy474

George Caulkin ‏@CaulkinTheTimes 1m

Interesting that Pardew admits "maybe I tightened us up in terms of expressing ourselves," spent too long on tactics, changing team.

References Sir Bobby as someone who "always got the mood right ... That was maybe what I got wrong last year." #Nufc

I put this where Stewart Robson reckoned on Pardew, says one thing, the reality is different. Pardew can say that yet him changing it for the better requires some ability, ability he lacks unfortunately.

The things he's said this pre-season hint towards him admitting that he played too safe and focused on the opposition's strengths more than our own. If he can actually go some way to implementing that then he might be able to start moving forwards.

The things he's said this pre-season hint towards him admitting that he played too safe and focused on the opposition's strengths more than our own. If he can actually go some way to implementing that then he might be able to start moving forwards.

:thup:

Bullshitter or otherwise, I'd much rather he acknowledged these things than not.

Guest bimpy474

Clever ? do what !!! He was as thick as pig s*** all last season.

Shola on the wing vs Reading, the absolute zenith of tactical intelligence.

Aye along with playing Shola up top when Ba left, leaving Cisse RW, because we didn't have enough time to prepare after Ba left.

Guest bimpy474

Bullshitter or otherwise, I'd much rather he acknowledged these things than not.

Fair point, but is he saying these thing now because fans are pointing them out, such as the Chronicle question and answer thingy. Does he really accept them or is it just his bullshit chromosome kicking in again.

Guest bimpy474

Aye along with playing Shola up top when Ba left, leaving Cisse RW, because we didn't have enough time to prepare after Ba left.

:lol: forgot about that excuse. "We've prepared with Ba here, we cant change it".

I think this was just about the worst thing about him, he can change formation during a game but not 24 hrs before the match. Just how thick on the thick scale was this :lol:

Guest bimpy474

:lol: forgot about that excuse. "We've prepared with Ba here, we cant change it".

I think this was just about the worst thing about him, he can change formation during a game but not 24 hrs before the match. Just how thick on the thick scale was this :lol:

Definitely up there with his worst. The fact he was trying to say that he couldn't play with Cisse in his natural position was fucking ludicrous

This bloke is still our manager :(

Actions speaks louder than words - it's all well and good that he's acknowledging some mistakes but if he doesn't do anything substantial about them (ie. learning from them), then it's all moot. His track record of learning from his mistakes is rather poor so I can't say I'm confident he's going to implement any sort of effective change.

Agreed, I'm not sure he can put things right but recognising where he went wrong is a start.

Guest bimpy474

Actions speaks louder than words - it's all well and good that he's acknowledging some mistakes but if he doesn't do anything substantial about them (ie. learning from them), then it's all moot. His track record of learning from his mistakes is rather poor so I can't say I'm confident he's going to implement any sort of effective change.

Exactly, and to play in exactly the same way, hoofed balls and set pieces in our pre season friendlies, games where you can experiment, well has he learnt ?, don't look like it.

Or we comically do even worse defensively.

We need to find a balance of preparing to a) counteract the opposition and also b) emphasise our own strengths, that balance is somewhere in the middle of the two but they're not necessarily always at an equilibrium.

Last season we pretty much always swung far too much towards a) and part b) was very much on the back burner. There's always a danger we could go too far the other way, but with Pardew in charge I somehow doubt that. :lol:

I'm glad he's admitted it, anyway. It seems like the mega-cautious approach was his reaction to being beaten a lot, and a way of trying to grind out a few wins to provide that 'platform' to play a more expansive game (see Norwich 1-0 (h) from 2011/12, followed by the excellent WBA, Liverpool and Stoke performances), except this time we couldn't grind those wins out and we just got deeper and deeper into the rut.

Hopefully he realises it's a lot to do with personnel too, i.e. the detrimental effect that 90 minutes of Gutierrez has on our team every week, regardless of how attacking/defensive the set-up might be.

Guest bimpy474

There must be something that can get Jonas out the starting eleven ffs.

There is simply no positive to him being there nowadays i wouldn't even mind 4-4-2 if Jonas and Tiote don't exist as part of the eleven.

If Jonas starts in any formation, that'll tell you Pardew has learnt absolutely nothing. If he can't see what 99% of fans can. Lost cause.

That's a sackable offence in any profession ffs :lol: wow. just wow.

There must be something that can get Jonas out the starting eleven ffs.

There is simply no positive to him being there nowadays i wouldn't even mind 4-4-2 if Jonas and Tiote don't exist as part of the eleven.

If Jonas starts in any formation, that'll tell you Pardew has learnt absolutely nothing. If he can't see what 99% of fans can. Lost cause.

Definitely up there with his worst. The fact he was trying to say that he couldn't play with Cisse in his natural position was fucking ludicrous

Well he's going to be feeling the pressure in the coming weeks. If it wasn't bad enough having JFK installed above him, now he's going to have big Mick Harford hovering menacingly over his shoulder.

Guest bimpy474

Well he's going to be feeling the pressure in the coming weeks. If it wasn't bad enough having JFK installed above him, now he's going to have big Mick Harford hovering menacingly over his shoulder.

I can actually ignore them two, the way we played and results we got last season should be enough for him to want to do better. I know what you mean though.

Exactly, and to play in exactly the same way, hoofed balls and set pieces in our pre season friendlies, games where you can experiment, well has he learnt ?, don't look like it.

Didn't we reportedly play good, on-the-deck football against Motherwell?

Guest bimpy474

Didn't we reportedly play good, on-the-deck football against Motherwell?

It was supposed to have been ok, but it was the same old hoofed free kicks from anywhere near the halfway line. The only difference was it was Haris doing the hoofing and not the GK.