Alan Pardew

Mike

If Pardew doesn't get top 8 he has to go at the end of the season, this squad should be aiming to achieve that. If we are 11th-10th in January give him some money and get us to push us up there. If it doesn't work just part ways and get in a new manager who can get the best out of our current crop of players.

Sure I'm upset that we didn't spend any money in the transfer window but at the same time I can look at our squad and say well there was probably only two positions that needed players in immediately but we have players who also need to be given a chance in those positions before we go on and bring in replacements.

Gouffran and Cisse will work as a partnership if Pardew is good enough to explain to the players how to make it work. If he can't well then its only more of a reason to replace him.

There is a lot of sense not overpaying this window, once again there will be value in January, we have to buy players for value we can't go out and compete with anyone in this league and that includes southampton/norwich/swansea the reason being we wont offer silly money to beat another team, we want players to actually come here. I know its difficult for players to want to come to this club when the club fails to show true ambition. But the only way you will get success in this environment is continual astuteness in the market or be bank rolled by a sheikh.

Getting one of those monster players on loan that everyone was preaching moses/sinclair/lukaku was an absolute waste of money, it was a 3 million upfront, no buyout option and you had to pay their full CL wages. There is absolute no sense in Newcastle touching any of those players.

Of all the clubs that got value in the transfer window the Remy transfer (if it includes a reasonable buyout option and we aren't paying his full wages) the Eriksen (out of contract) were the only true bargain transfers of the window. The new PL money just over inflated the entirety of the market. If the Gomis transfer stories are to be believed I can see why NUFC were hesitant in splashing the cash.

If our January business + Remy had been our summer business everyone would be saying how magical we were considering what everyone else over paid for during this last window. We have to make our dollars go further then every other club because we want to compete at a higher level then mid table mediocrity. I'm sure if Eriksen wanted to come here we would of stumped up the cash to pay for this move.

At least in January we can either look forward to seeing a new manager come in or a new player or two. I hope to see a new player as it would mean we are pushing upwards and onward however if its a new manager it better be the best person available not the cheapest. That's the point in which I would truly lose my s*** with this club not at a transfer window in which almost every player sale has been inflated.

Just 3 questions:

1) I'm curious based on what yardstick are you making the assessment that "almost every player sale has been inflated". Have you gone through most of the transfers and if true that most sales are "inflated", then isn't this just market price (buyer-seller agreement) and it is you who are underestimating the value of these sales?

2) You said "But the only way you will get success in this environment is continual astuteness in the market or be bank rolled by a sheikh.". So by that logic, teams who have decided to spend and strengthen their squad and yet are not bankrolled by "a sheikh" will not be successful? It will be interesting to see how teams like Everton do?

3) You said, "We have to make our dollars go further then every other club because we want to compete at a higher level then mid table mediocrity". How does that logic work? Because we want to go beyond "mid table mediocrity", we should spend less or none at all?  So the other clubs who have spent to strengthen their squad do not aspire to compete at a higher level? Seriously, that's just bizarre logic

What would be a fair expectation of this squad as it stands? Pound for pound should Pardew be expected to deliver a top 10 place with the players at his disposal or have we really been overtaken by Swansea and Southampton?

What would be a fair expectation of this squad as it stands? Pound for pound should Pardew be expected to deliver a top 10 place with the players at his disposal or have we really been overtaken by Swansea and Southampton?

Similar squad strengths but they don't have Pardew. So yes.

As it stands we should definitely be looking at top 10, and certainly capable of it, big worry is that we are probably two injuries away to key players to a bottom half finish and a poor season. We are certainly going to have to ride our luck this season and hope injuries are kind to us and continue to rule at players like Jonas/Tiote rather than likes of HBA/Remy.

As it stands we should definitely be looking at top 10, and certainly capable of it, big worry is that we are probably two injuries away to key players to a bottom half finish and a poor season. We are certainly going to have to ride our luck this season and hope injuries are kind to us and continue to rule at players like Jonas/Tiote rather than likes of HBA/Remy.

I would think outside the top 6 all clubs will be relying on their first 11 to remain fit so I'm not sure that's a valid excuse.

For me it's more about how we perform, but I would say we should definitely be at least top 10.

We aren't the only ones like that though, all sides around us have a little core of a bit of class in their side that makes their side tick who they would be fearful if they got a long term injury. None of the teams we are competing with have brilliant squads, rather average players will be coming in as cover for injuries.

How badly do people think of Pardew as a person? I'm a bit split.

I despise his conduct and constant praising of Ashley, lack of pride and sales man-like approach to football. I hate his tactics, I hate his negativity and I hate his excuses.

However, being in the position he was in; sacked from a League One club and offered to take reigns in the Premier League again.

Would people have done differently? Can you hold that against him? He probably (most likely considering GolfMags posts) had a very good idea on how limited the clubs approach would be. He knew he was going to displace a loved and successful manager on other merits than sporting ones.

Part of me feels that Alan Pardew is just a part of Ashley's vulgar and pathetic way of running things, just there to be a facade and talk s***.

Part of me feels that he has taken an opportunity to prove himself at the highest level and that many people in his position would have done the same.

I despise his conduct and constant praising of Ashley, lack of pride and sales man-like approach to football. I hate his tactics, I hate his negativity and I hate his excuses.

However, being in the position he was in; sacked from a League One club and offered to take reigns in the Premier League again.

Would people have done differently? Can you hold that against him? He probably (most likely considering GolfMags posts) had a very good idea on how limited the clubs approach would be. He knew he was going to displace a loved and successful manager on other merits than sporting ones.

Part of me feels that Alan Pardew is just a part of Ashley's vulgar and pathetic way of running things, just there to be a facade and talk s***.

Part of me feels that he has taken an opportunity to prove himself at the highest level and that many people in his position would have done the same.

If I was a manager that's just finished guiding NUFC to 5th, then yeah, I'd realise that I'm in a much stronger position and grow some balls.

I think he's a decent person, seems to genuinely want to do well. Obviously he has to take responsibility for his decision to 'collaborate' with our regime, I think that's where most of the negative aspects come from.

Really? The type of guy you'd want to have a beer with? Not seeing that at all. He seems proper smarmy to me.

Is there anyone out there who doesn't genuinely want to do well?

I think he's a decent person, seems to genuinely want to do well. Obviously he has to take responsibility for his decision to 'collaborate' with our regime, I think that's where most of the negative aspects come from.

I think decorating the insides of Carl Fletcher's missus amongst other rumours while Pard's own wife was sufferring from depression rather tainted him before he even turned up at SJP tbh.

Then he lied about not knowing Hughton was for the sack. That sort of thing probs goes on a lot with managers though.

I don't mind him as a person tbh, he has good points and bad as far as character goes. He's just a shit manager and that's been my only gripe from day one.

I don't begrudge him for taking the job. I do begrudge the job he is doing.

I think decorating the insides of Carl Fletcher's missus amongst other rumours while Pard's own wife was sufferring from depression rather tainted him before he even turned up at SJP tbh.

Then he lied about not knowing Hughton was for the sack. That sort of thing probs goes on a lot with managers though.

If that's true, then the fucker is one selfish and sick cunt. (Though, I'm sure there's a high probability that's just gossip. )

Always came across as twat, well before he joined us. And he certainly still is.

Guest Brazilianbob

It has to be remembered that most of the lower to mid table clubs who have really strengthened this summer have borrowed on the strength of the TV money they will get next May.  It seems to me that we have decided our squad is now strong enough not to fall into the relegation scrap we were in last season because (a) we dont have the extra games in Europe and (b) we brought in 5 players last January who are now bedded in (and hopefully speaking English) and have replaced BA with Remy on loan, so will be that much stronger over the full season.  IF and its a big IF, we do manage to finish in the top half, then surely we will then be in the enviable position of having all of the TV money to really strengthen the side, when all the others around us have spent their TV money, so that we could push for the top four/six in the following season.  Its all conjecture on my part but knowing NUFC dont borrow money to pay for transfers its a realistic prospect that we are simply waiting for the TV money to land in the bank before spending it.

I can't stand him as our manager and I can't stand him as a person, I can't think of a single thing I like about him on any level.

It has to be remembered that most of the lower to mid table clubs who have really strengthened this summer have borrowed on the strength of the TV money they will get next May.  It seems to me that we have decided our squad is now strong enough not to fall into the relegation scrap we were in last season because (a) we dont have the extra games in Europe and (b) we brought in 5 players last January who are now bedded in (and hopefully speaking English) and have replaced BA with Remy on loan, so will be that much stronger over the full season.  IF and its a big IF, we do manage to finish in the top half, then surely we will then be in the enviable position of having all of the TV money to really strengthen the side, when all the others around us have spent their TV money, so that we could push for the top four/six in the following season.  Its all conjecture on my part but knowing NUFC dont borrow money to pay for transfers its a realistic prospect that we are simply waiting for the TV money to land in the bank before spending it.

jesus if that's their logic we are truly fucked, other clubs will just spend the next seasons (2014/2015) TV money that they're guaranteed again so we'll be in the exact same fucking boat as them, only our boat will still be tied to the quayside 'cause we won't pay the going rate for players and they will