Alan Pardew

Mike

It seems to me it's more people moaning because Pardew isn't playing how they want us to play. They want us to dominate teams and go and win by 3 or 4 if the opportunity arises. Whereas Pardew has proven time and time again he's more than happy to defend what he's got, if a goal comes in a counter then great but defending the lead is priority. That's what people refuse to accept that we aren't playing how they feel we should be playing.

Then the whole luck factor gets thrown in when the opposition don’t create so they must be s*** so we got away with it or the opposition miss their chances so we got a let off.

:thup:

Sustainability is obviously a worry but it isn't written in stone that we are going to employ the exact same tactic in every single match. We have had very different approaches to the last 3 matches so the idea that it is definitely unsustainable doesn't really ring true.

Don't see why we can't play consistently enough to finish top 8/9.

Guest firetotheworks

Brett and Happy Face stating what people are saying and it being completely different to what they're actually saying, despite everyone spelling it out for them in the most basic terms. There's a surprise. :lol:

:lol: people gutted to have a bit of luck on our side.

How is it possible to miss the point so dramatically? :lol:

Nobody is gutted. People don't think it's sustainable to keep playing the way we are, like it hasn't been in the past.

It wasn't sustainable for a period of 13 games mid 12/13.  Outside of that it seems to have been, outside of the odd trouncing.

It worked for about a dozen games at the start of the 11/12 season and then we fell to pieces. We actually started to play decent football in a 4-3-3 and go for the 2nd or 3rd goal after that heart attack 1-0 against Norwich. Since then though these 4 games are the only decent string of games we've had, and even then Tim Krul has had to literally be Superman to maintain it.

I'm happy for us to play the way we are at the minute to an extent, with Shola up top instead of Ben Arfa even, it's working and we actually look half dangerous in attack. I just wish we could maintain some kind of threat instead of changing tactics to try and protect a lead if and when we take it.

Guest firetotheworks

The face on my 5 month old lights up when he does an interview.

He should do kids telly with that lovely smile.

:pardsgrin:

Well, that's the mental age that his bullshit sticks to, tbf.

I never said anyone was disappointed we were lucky and winning. I just thing the luck argument is nonsensical. It's not even about how you rate Pardew, the argument itself is just stupid in general.

so answer me ian, let's assume tactically pardew IS withdrawing the team with the intention of seeing out a 2-0 lead, or a 1-0 as we've also seen pretty often...the opposition score 1 in the second half and miss 2 clear cut chances to score, gilt-egded chances

you're telling me there's no element of luck in that scenario and that i'm stupid for believing there is?

Sustainability is obviously a worry but it isn't written in stone that we are going to employ the exact same tactic in every single match. We have had very different approaches to the last 3 matches so the idea that it is definitely unsustainable doesn't really ring true.

You don't have to be consistent at all to finish 8-9th though. We were only 5 points away from that last season. We could quite feasibly continue the rest of this season in the same fashion as we did last, from this point on, and finish in the top 9.

EDIT: Unless that was the point.

:lol: people gutted to have a bit of luck on our side.

How is it possible to miss the point so dramatically? :lol:

Nobody is gutted. People don't think it's sustainable to keep playing the way we are, like it hasn't been in the past.

It wasn't sustainable for a period of 13 games mid 12/13.  Outside of that it seems to have been, outside of the odd trouncing.

It worked for about a dozen games at the start of the 11/12 season and then we fell to pieces. We actually started to play decent football in a 4-3-3 and go for the 2nd or 3rd goal after that heart attack 1-0 against Norwich. Since then though these 4 games are the only decent string of games we've had, and even then Tim Krul has had to literally be Superman to maintain it.

I'm happy for us to play the way we are at the minute to an extent, with Shola up top instead of Ben Arfa even, it's working and we actually look half dangerous in attack. I just wish we could maintain some kind of threat instead of changing tactics to try and protect a lead if and when we take it.

yep :thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I never said anyone was disappointed we were lucky and winning. I just thing the luck argument is nonsensical. It's not even about how you rate Pardew, the argument itself is just stupid in general.

so answer me ian, let's assume tactically pardew IS withdrawing the team with the intention of seeing out a 2-0 lead, or a 1-0 as we've also seen pretty often...the opposition score 1 in the second half and miss 2 clear cut chances to score, gilt-egded chances

you're telling me there's no element of luck in that scenario and that i'm stupid for believing there is?

You do realise that if you ask him a question, he'll answer it, don't you?

We've also broke on the counter and missed a couple ourselves, right?

You don't have to be consistent at all to finish 8-9th though. We were only 5 points away from that last season. We could quite feasibly continue the rest of this season in the same fashion as we did last, from this point on, and finish in the top 9.

What would classify as sustainability? Is it all in the tactics? If we do end up top 8/9, I'd say that we must have developed some level of sustainability. Sustainability.

Think our upper limit with this squad, and the quality at the top of the league, would be about 6th. Even that would take some sort of strange aligning of the stars. Top half = Sustainable.

You do realise that if you ask him a question, he'll answer it, don't you?

i've yet to see evidence of this

i'm not on about the norwich match, i'm just asking a hypothetical question so someone can enlighten me as to why it's stupid to acknowledge the presence of luck in a game of football

i'm not a fan of being called stupid, you see

Guest bimpy474

And that is why i dont believe it's Pardew telling us to sit back. It's the opposition pushing us back, changing their tactics because they're behind. And in that it, it shows how Pardew is limited as he never anticipates it with our play, and then reacts too late to it. By the time he does we're all out defensive and pushed right back.

What would classify as sustainability? Is it all in the tactics? If we do end up top 8/9, I'd say that we must have developed some level of sustainability. Sustainability.

Think our upper limit with this squad, and the quality at the top of the league, would be about 6th. Even that would take some sort of strange aligning of the stars. Top half = Sustainable.

I don't really look at a league position as being a mark of the season though, as it fluctuates so much. You can play horrendously and still finish in the top half of the Premiership. You can play consistently brilliantly and still miss out on Europe. And vice-versa.

A respectable mid table finish is barely a step up from avoiding relegation, the only difference is that you may have enjoyed your season a little bit more, which is all you can really look forward too when you're not challenging for Europe (which we may do this season). If we're to continue playing the way we are and the way we have, all for a series of "sustainable finishes" we may as well just pack the sport in.

If he gets us to Europe again without the wheels coming off playing like this then fair enough, I'd prefer some kind of fluid, sexy football but I couldn't really complain too much.

i'm not on about the norwich match, i'm just asking a hypothetical question so someone can enlighten me as to why it's stupid to acknowledge the presence of luck in a game of football

I wasn't on about Norwich, but that's generally what happens when you play counter attack football. You sit back and defend then hit opposition on break when possible. Just in your scenario created we've gifted them two clear chances but haven't created anything ourselves. In the scenario you've provided i'd say we were fortunate to get away with them missing the clear cut chances but 3 points deserved. Slight element of luck but not enough to warrant the opposition a share of the points.

I'm not calling you stupid man.

Luck obviously exists in football, and more generally chance is a massive factor. But it goes for and against everyone at random, and over the season I don't think it can be a significant factor in league position. 

Whatever Pardew is doing or not doing, the fact remains that if the opposition miss chances and we score ours, that's just football. If you want to focus on the 'first half attack, second half defend' thing, then it still doesn't work. What about the other chances we missed in the first half when we were attacking (e.g. Sissoko shooting wide v Norwich). What about the goal Cisse had ruled out? These are just examples, do they demonstrate that we're unlucky?

I'm not denying luck is involved in football, clearly it is. I just don't think it's so easy to link it to the success or failure of a team over a long period of time.

If you think Pardew is sitting back too much in second halves, then that's fair enough. But that doesn't mean he's always 'lucky' if it works.

Brett and Happy Face stating what people are saying and it being completely different to what they're actually saying, despite everyone spelling it out for them in the most basic terms. There's a surprise. :lol:

Where?

I took the piss out of him for saying Pardew has had less misfortune than any Newcastle manager in 20 years...and then calling him a bellend in the same sentence, as if for turning our luck.

I've used plenty of hyperbole about people demanding we control games for "90 minutes" or to win games "week in and week out" but that's what we all do. 

For example, clearly Pardew isn't the "luckiest Newcastle manager in 20+ years" because...

http://www.ronaldo7.net/news/2012/cristiano-ronaldo-506-ruud-gullit-and-his-super-hot-wife-girlfriend-estelle-cruijff-in-the-beach.jpg

I think the problem is that you are focussing purely on moments of good fortune we have and completely ignoring the luck our opposition benefit from and all other teams in general.

And that is why i dont believe it's Pardew telling us to sit back. It's the oppositioin pushing us back, changing their tactics because they're behind. And in that it, it shows how Pardew is limited as he never anticipates it with our play, and then reacts too late to it. By the time he does we're all out defensive and pushed right back.

This is my view too. I've always thought it's just a natural part of football, maybe exacerbated by Pardew's inability to react well enough.

I wouldn't blame Pardew for our only beating Norwich 2 - 1. If our players had taken their chances we would have easily won by more goals.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/momentum-key-us-says-newcastle-6340991

By Lee Ryder

Momentum is key for us, says Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew

26 Nov 2013 08:13

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew eager to maintain momentum against West Bromwich Albion on Saturday

Alan Pardew has suggested the sky could be the limit for Newcastle United – if they make the most of their momentum.

The Magpies boss is a candidate for the November manager of the month award – and could be handed the prize should United beat West Bromwich Albion on Saturday night at St James’ Park (5.30pm).

With the Magpies sitting in eighth position and just two points off the top four, the clash with West Brom offers the chance to climb the table.

Pardew said: “I am very pleased for everybody at Newcastle that we have 20 points already.

“You can see we have good unity there and that bodes well.

“We have another home game now and then a good run of games.

“If we can keep this momentum going, who knows where we can go.”

However, Pardew admits there is plenty of room for improvement.

He was unhappy that United did not kill the game off earlier against Chris Hughton’s Norwich.

He said: “Moussa should have played Papiss in a bit quicker and that would have been a goal.

“Loic made a poor decision in the second half.

“When you are 2-0 up that makes a big difference.

“We never changed the agenda second half.

“We slipped back into holding on to the two, which we don’t want to do.

“We brought Hatem back on and then changed the agenda back.”

Meanwhile, Norwich star Anthony Pilkington – who was stretchered off at St James’ Park on Saturday - is awaiting the results of a scan after suffering a hamstring injury.

Norwich boss Chris Hughton said: “We won’t know how bad it is until it settles down.

“It seems like Anthony has got a hamstring strain, but as regards what level that is something we won’t be able to determine until we assess him over the next day or two.”

Guest firetotheworks

Where?

I took the p*ss out of him for saying Pardew has had less misfortune than any Newcastle manager in 20 years...and then calling him a bellend in the same sentence, as if for turning our luck.

I've used plenty of hyperbole about people demanding we control games for "90 minutes" or to win games "week in and week out" but that's what we all do. 

For example, clearly Pardew isn't the "luckiest Newcastle manager in 20+ years" because...

http://www.ronaldo7.net/news/2012/cristiano-ronaldo-506-ruud-gullit-and-his-super-hot-wife-girlfriend-estelle-cruijff-in-the-beach.jpg

You've asked where and then just gave yourself the examples. :lol: There's a difference between hyperbole when it's based in opinion and someone saying that he's "the luckiest manager in 20+ years" or whatever, and changing what people on here are actually saying.

You and Brett change what people on here say in order to make your own argument hold more credence. There's a clear difference between exaggerating your own opinion and exaggerating or amending someone else's.