Alan Pardew

Mike

Nah, would have done him some good. Might have forced the stubborn get to play Kluivert alongside Bellamy once in a while. :D

:rolleyes:

The stubborn get might have played Kluivert alongside Bellamy once in a while if he didn't get sacked a month after Kluivert signed for us.

Excuses, excuses. :lol:

His dropping of Shearer against Villa was actually seen as the final straw by some. Ridiculous. :no:

the point I was making, and is valid. Is this thing about Pardew being lucky to have an inform striker this season, can be applied to countless managers and teams down the years.

You'll change your mind about him again in a month or so.

is he too negative when we take a lead -yes.

Is he a bottling cunt against the Mackems - yes.

Would I have him sacked after the derbies-yes.

Is he doing well with results, right now-yes

the point I was making, and is valid. Is this thing about Pardew being lucky to have an inform striker this season, can be applied to countless managers and teams down the years.

Bobby turned Shearer back into an in for striker, I don't know why you've brought those two into this.  :lol:

without bobby shearer was finished? give over.

my point stands, you cant diminish the results of a manager just because hes lucky to have an inform striker. :lol:

No-one 's attempting to 'diminish results'. The discussion is almost always about coaching strategy, effectiveness of the team over a long period and sustainability.

Every manager in the world would have been considerably worse off without Shearer than with him. Your point is rubbish.

Will you change tack again when the results do, yes.

Will you change tack again when the results do, yes.

Will you aknowledge he has done well getting three wins?

my point stands, you cant diminish the results of a manager just because hes lucky to have an inform striker. :lol:

I'm not sure where I said Shearer was finished, we simply don't know either way.  We do know his game was changed and he started banging in the goals again and it was Bobby who told him how to change his game.

I'm not sure where I said Shearer was finished, we simply don't done know either way.  We do know his game was changed and he started banging in the goals again and it was Bobby who told him how to change his game.

fair dos, not the best example of a manager with an inform striker tbh. :lol:

:thup:

Pardew is the luckiest manager in the country imo, by virtue of a number of factors, the biggest of which relates to his entire/only gameplan being built around getting the first goal - the "luck" element being that much of the time opposition teams/strikers have had the chance (or numerous chances) to take the lead or reverse ours but have frequently inexplicably failed to do so. "Luck" is always going to be subjective - for some people it'll be limited to something like a striker slicing wide a tap in from 2 yards out, for others (like me) it includes good chances being missed that at this level should be expected to be buried. I've said many a time that I've never seen a Premiership season before where so many opposition teams/strikers have missed chance after chance like they did in 2011/12.

Even on Saturday I felt we were "lucky". Norwich had 3 damn good chances when we were 1-0 up, including one chance where one of their lads was clean through on goal and proceeded to punt the ball 20 yards over the bar. Much like the Spurs game, they should have made much more of at least some of those chances than they did - the fact that they didn't was entirely out of our hands and had nothing to do with us. To go back another game, if Terry's header had been placed 2 centimetres lower it would have gone in off the bar - why it didn't was nothing to do with us. Again, going back to the subjective definition of luck within this sport, for me we were lucky in that game, especially given that we had no intention of really "playing football". And these are examples all from the last 3 games...

Of course anyone could argue that we could/should have scored here and there too, as obviously the "luck" element applies both ways, and whilst that would hold true for the Noriwch game and other games where e.g. Cisse has sliced something wide from 6 yards out, to my mind we've had an unreal number of games where that hasn't been the case, i.e. games where we've taken the solitary 1 or 2 chances that have come our way whilst the opposition proceeded to miss all of theirs (on top of being comfortably the superior "footballing" side whilst we've played aimless hoofball garbage for the most part).

There are other factors where I think he's lucky - he's lucky to be at this club (or in the Premiership for that matter) given that he was an unemployed League One failure who noone else in the top tiers would have touched with a barge pole because of his track record of failure and horrendous football that his teams played (recently worked with a Charlton fan who thoroughly dislikes Pardew and described him as a "long ball manager and nothing else" during his time there). He's also lucky to have Graham Carr scouting some of the best French talent available to anyone outside of the CL clique, providing him with some gifted players that I severely doubt he'd have ever wanted to sign had he been in full control of transfers - not much evidence for this other than being based on whatever snippets we've had from the club, so that last point is admittedly debatable.

He's lucky that he wasn't sacked last year when he nearly butchered this squad of talented footballers to relegation with his negative tactics/defeatist mentality. He's lucky Jose Boswinga decided to gift us 2 goals in a must win game which probably killed off all hope for Wigan Athletic (maybe it would've made no difference, noone will know though). He's also lucky that for a variety of reasons the media never really picked up on his caveman approach to the game (until very recently that is, when by coincidence we've had 2 great results immediately killing off the criticism).

So yeah, I do think it's reasonable to argue that after a year's sabbatical Mr Souness' Lady Luck has shown up at Pardew's bedroom door ready for a serious, committed relationship.

:pardsbeard: :pedro:

Worth pointing out that the football this season really hasn't been too much like the 5th season. In my opinion, at least. We're using the ball a lot better, and working for our goals. The whole 'relying on an in form striker' doesn't hold much weight when we're creating more than enough chances for any decent striker to find form.

Agree :thup:

agree with this, football is much better overall since 5th but his mentality is the same once the team goes ahead - that basically hasn't changed since 5th and the flirt with relegation...he's got to get a handle on that like it's madness and solely, entirely of his own making

this lucky to have in form strikers is utter horseshit, you can't blame him for some things and then take away the positives because it suits you....by that token every single facet of everything he succeeds at can be considered luck if you so choose - again though, on the flipside he deserves criticism for cisse's descent into being a horror story 'cause it looks like he's completely give up on the lad (always possible the sponsorship thing in the summer has fucked with his mind i guess)

Guest firetotheworks

The opposition not taking chances isn't really luck, it's their players not doing their jobs properly while ours have.

Couldn't agree more mate!

Luck has nothing to do with it because even though we have a reliance on our strikers hitting form, they're still our strikers. The opposition not taking their chances is something that we can rely upon and we can rely upon our strikers taking their chances. Even if we present these strikers with these chances, they'll continue to miss them and our strikers will continue to take their's. Luck doesn't really have anything to do with it. Carry on Pardew!

We certainly weren't lucky on Saturday, Norwich were shit, and second half was like a training session. Surprised they even scored tbh but even when they did you couldn't see them doing it again. Thought Pardew had his team selection and tactics spot on for 45 minutes, but then his decisions in the second half with subs and tactics was poor. Was still all a bit of a stroll though simply for how bad Norwich were.