Alan Pardew

Mike

Never thought I'd change anyone's mind.

Surprises me how anti-Pardew this board is though.  Seems 95% are militantly opposed to the bloke managing another game, it suggests a view that ANY other manager could turn Mike Williamson into a solid, classy CB that can pass the ball out of defence with aplomb rather than hoofing the fucker ;)

Anywhere else it seems to be 50-50, largely people can see Pardew's clear flaws, but also the limitations he (and any other manager that replaced him) face.  There'll be extremists who are stupidly supportive and just say "5th! 5th! 5th!"...and at the other end who say everything is an excuse. But most people see both sides.  Here though, more than anywhere else it tends to be the latter "no excuses" sort.  To the extent that protests are being planned.  Are any other sites doing that?

Just wanted to temper some of that extremism if I could.

i don't frequent any other boards but the people i see posting on here know their football like and it's been very clear me over the last say 1.5 seasons that the cracks have slowly become to big to ignore with pardew and it's reached the extend that people can see our future if he stays as the manager

it's that simple imo...a massive build up of pressure seeing how poor the guy is with their own eyes for too long, many tried to ignore it under the guise of stability but even they know where we're heading with this guy at the helm

There must be, I don't see how such a decent squad can perform so consistently badly.

Our first 11 when all are fully fit would be the envy of 75% of the Premier league. Our second 11 would struggle to get out of the Championship.

Stoke sent Shola back 5 years ago....and he's still our best threat from the bench.

Who's on the pitch? Cisse, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Marveaux, Sissoko, Goufrann?

Of those, only Cisse and Cabaye appear in our starting 11 for the season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#Starting_XI

There must be, I don't see how such a decent squad can perform so consistently badly.

Our first 11 when all are fully fit would be the envy of 75% of the Premier league. Our second 11 would struggle to get out of the Championship.

Stoke sent Shola back 5 years ago....and he's still our best threat from the bench.

I think the injuries have strangely helped Pardew's cause because in the fact, with everyone fit, I wouldnt trust him to select the right personnel. I don't think Sissoko or Cabaye have played in their natural positions since January, plus it seems he'll always find a spot for Jonas.

Guest Dontooner

A same book can be interpreted in many different ways, tear apart the luck and injuries.

Just focus on Pardew's team selections and substitutions.

He has made many mistakes with being overly conservative and too respectful to many teams.

He is by nature a negative manager , which finally has been proven to most by fielding hard workers and defensive players over attacking ones.

Shola's involvement would also tell the tale of him , preferring knock downs to turn the tide of a game. (Going Long)

At least we should agree on the point that Pardew is a defend 1st manager.

So ... any news on this potential coaching hire?

This could actually be a good way to improve things if Pardew manages to hold on to the job.

Just get a really good attack minded coach, who can deal more with that side of things.

Elliot, Simpson, Williamson, MYM, Haidara, Perch, Anita, Marveaux, Sissoko, Shola, Campbell?

Would that struggle? Possibly but only because of the strikers. What you're basically saying is that we have a position that needs strengthening. Not sure that's enough reason to accept nearly going down.

Who's on the pitch? Cisse, Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Marveaux, Sissoko, Goufrann?

Of those, only Cisse and Cabaye appear in our starting 11 for the season

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#Starting_XI

I don't care. They're NUFC players now and they're all fit. You know as well as I do that those 6 would never all start a game under Pardew, so at least one of them is on the bench, and they're all a better option than Shola. So what you said was horse shit, and it's no surprise to see you try and back it up with some bollocks most used player stat. As is stands, right now, Shola isn't our best option from the bench. Someone intelligent would know that, and would only say it was true if it suited their agenda.

edit - even Anita in a an advanced position would be a better option than Shola, he can pick a pass out. But that sort of move would involve Pardew having the desire and ability to make proactive offensive moves, rather than just bringing on Shola.

This could actually be a good way to improve things if Pardew manages to hold on to the job.

Just get a really good attack minded coach, who can deal more with that side of things.

It would be a good move for many reasons, everything is too insular at the moment. Someone like Ginola maybe.

Guest bimpy474

"and irrespective of mitigating circumstances"

Well me listing plenty of reasons why they aren't mitigating over the last 6 months and even longer (you may not have seen them, dont recollect you before last week tbh). Some of us have looked at the reasons and dont feel they are good enough.

I think the injuries have helped Pardew's because in the fact, with everyone fit, I wouldnt trust him to select the right personnel. I don't think Sissoko or Cabaye have played in their natural positions since January, plus it seems he'll always find a spot for Jonas.

He always will too.  We've conceded less goals in the games Jonas plays.

I hate to go back to the stats but I do like to back up what I say, so here goes....

If you look at how long each player has spent on the pitch, and how many goals were conceded when that player was on, then it's clear the value Pardew places in Jonas...

Top 5

Gutierez - 58.9 minutes per goal conceded

Cabaye - 57.9

Williamson - 55.9

S Taylor - 53.9

Ben Arfa - 53.6

When he got injured we immediately conceded 4 at Man U then 7 at Arsenal in the next 2 games

The next time he missed any football was when he got dragged off against Liverpool.  we were 2 nil down then....but we conceded 4 in the second half alone without him.

Most would prefer our attacking players to be attacking of course, and Jonas has done nothing for us there.  But it's clear where Pardew sees his value to the team, defensively.

I think the injuries have helped Pardew's because in the fact, with everyone fit, I wouldnt trust him to select the right personnel. I don't think Sissoko or Cabaye have played in their natural positions since January, plus it seems he'll always find a spot for Jonas.

I hate to go back to the stats but I do like to back up what I say, so here goes....

If you look at how long each player has spent on the pitch, and how many goals were conceded when that player was on, then it's clear the value Pardew places in Jonas...

Cabaye - 57.9

Williamson - 55.9

S Taylor - 53.9

Ben Arfa - 53.6

When he got injured we immediately conceded 4 at Man U then 7 at Arsenal in the next 2 games

The next time he missed any football was when he got dragged off against Liverpool.  we were 2 nil down then....but we conceded 4 in the second half alone without him.

Most would prefer our attacking players to be attacking of course, and Jonas has done nothing for us there.  But it's clear where Pardew sees his value to the team, defensively.

We conceded 7 against Arsenal because Pardew had a brain fart late on and left us with 1 central midfielder on the pitch and they cut through us like butter.

Guest bimpy474

It would be a good move for many reasons, everything is too insular at the moment. Someone like Ginola maybe.

Definitely the way to go, if he's staying. Bring in a forward thinking coach, well if Pardew listens to him, which i think he would actually.

We conceded 7 against Arsenal because Pardew had a brain fart late on and left us with 1 central midfielder on the pitch and they cut through us like butter.

We'd conceded 4 before his first change.

Top 5

Cabaye - 57.9

Williamson - 55.9

S Taylor - 53.9

Ben Arfa - 53.6

:lol: Seriously? That's your conclusion? Could you come round mine tomorrow morning and let me know why I'm eating breakfast? I think it's because I'm hungry but I need some stats to prove it.

Guest Dontooner

He's definitely conservative, I would aay his natural style would be too build a solid unit that the flair players could operate on top of. I don't think he hates all talented players and just loves cloggers.

I think the argument between HF and Wullie is Flawed because the team selections by Pardew is constantly more conservative.

His first eleven has a defensive approach, and his reluctance to drop some of the more defensive players and his insistence to sub the attacking players at nearly every game makes a compelling case.

The case that he wants to build a solid unit before we are allowed to go on the offensive, this highly writes off putting the players on paper and using it as a argument because of his preference in his selection.

So if we agree that he is more conservative, the next question is whether he could build a solid unit neutralizing opposition attacks.

This is actually worth debating since , i dont think Pardew is that great organizing a defensive unit as well.

Some of the flows of his games has been founded out and overall when we try to close teams down , we had not been effective from doing it.

Pardew might be out of his dept in the defensive department as well base on the current performances.

This is a worry...

:lol: Seriously? That's your conclusion? Could you come round mine tomorrow morning and let me know why I'm eating breakfast? I think it's because I'm hungry but I need some stats to prove it.

If it's so obvious what Jonas offers, why do so many people say he's clearly wrong in playing him when fit?

We'd conceded 4 before his first change.

And scored 3. Losing 4-3 is not any different to losing by the odd goal by any scoreline (which is about the difference Jonas would have made. We might have conceded less but definitely would have scored less as well).

Top 5

Cabaye - 57.9

Williamson - 55.9

S Taylor - 53.9

Ben Arfa - 53.6

I find it worrying that a manager is so reliant on his left winger to not concede to 6 and 7 goal scorelines.

If it's so obvious what Jonas offers, why do so many people say he's clearly wrong in playing him when fit?

Think it's a question of whether people think the team needs his qualities or we would be better off sacrificing them for more attacking flair.

People on here were generally heartened by our attacking play and endeavour in the Man Utd and Arsenal (first 70 minutes) matches. It was really the last 20 minutes against Arsenal which saw the opinion dramatically shift against Pardew whereas people had been patient with him on here before that.