Alan Pardew

Mike

The biggest critique aside from his negative and cowardly tactics is that we rarely play as a unit. We either defend or attack, it is either one or the other. We never have a balance of both. Of course if we attack more, we get left short at the back and vice versa. It's not a point exclusive to me, others gave pointed it out, so why hasn't the manager rectified it, or even made it evident he knows about it ?

Guest bimpy474

Well that dossier will have more bullshit per sentence than this thread.

I don't know Bimps, you'll be running it close.

:aww:

:lol:

Guest bimpy474

This shite still going on :lol:

Stats my arse, my eyes watching games virtually every day for the last 35 years, that's where i get my stats from. And we are shite most of the time.  What the feck is wrong with people, don't you actually take any notice of what you see.

Return to #

Don't take that as meaning you, we all do it to one degree or another. Your just better than most :lol:

The biggest critique aside from his negative and cowardly tactics is that we rarely play as a unit. We either defend or attack, it is either one or the other. We never have a balance of both. Of course if we attack more, we get left short at the back and vice versa. It's not a point exclusive to me, others gave pointed it out, so why hasn't the manager rectified it, or even made it evident he knows about it ?

We played as a unit last season.  It was a negative unit, but it was an remarkably rigid system for at least the first half of the season which proved very effective.

Do you give Pardew any leeway on not being able to get back to any sort of consistency on that front due to injuries?

I take two things away from reading this thread.

Firstly, not creating chances is not the exact problem with Pardew's football. Not creating enough for the quality of the striker we have or not creating enough quality chances may be a better criticism but i'm not convinced thats it either. You cant ignore the facts.

Secondly, the people who feel strongly about this have a simple option to express themselves on Sunday. Start a Pardew out chant. Thats the first place to start. You could all use the time on here thinking up a funny one that is easy to sing, bit of dark humour always gets people laughing and joining in. If a significant number sing it then the message gets over. Remember that one lad on MOTD standing behind Allardyce and shouting abuse, i'm sure he had an influence on events. This will only work when we are losing of course so if Sunday goes well, get plans in place for next season.

Anyone having a go at HF needs to have a word too, i thought he was objective, reasonable and responsive to questions. Very fair minded and a highly intelligent bloke too.

We played as a unit last season.  It was a negative unit, but it was an remarkably rigid system for at least the first half of the season which proved very effective.

Do you give Pardew any leeway on not being able to get back to any sort of consistency on that front due to injuries?

As I said, I don't believe he has the tools or the nous to make us an attractive side to watch, but also one that wins games in a regular basis. Having said that, reluctantly, I will back him if he is still Newcastle United manager next season, and it is apparent he has learned from this awful season .

To sum up my current thoughts:

Signings this summer =  :bounce:Really excited, think Ashley will go for it (30M??)

Squad for next season =  :promotion:Brilliant, new signings & jan signings bedded in with pre-season

Team performances =  :anguish: :suicide:Sickly feeling in stomach, knowing that through individual player quality we will pull through games, but that the style and tactics from Percy will have us functioning at 65% of our real capability....

As I said, I don't believe he has the tools or the nous to make us an attractive side to watch, but also one that wins games in a regular basis. Having said that, reluctantly, I will back him if he is still Newcastle United manager next season, and it is apparent he has learned from this awful season .

This is the main thing for me. I'd prefer to replace him imminently, however as it doesn't look likely, I'll back him as long as he makes a few strides in the right direction and turns us away from the direction we're currently speeding toward, which is becoming a regular bottom half team playing ugly and cowardly football.

Anyone having a go at HF needs to have a word too, i thought he was objective, reasonable and responsive to questions. Very fair minded and a highly intelligent bloke too.

Cheers marra :)

I don't think he can make us ATTRACTIVE either.  I don't think he (or Ashley) care about how attractive we are.

I think for him to at least be EFFECTIVE though, like we were last season, requires some semblence of consistency in the formation used and the first 11 filling the places.

I don't think he can make us ATTRACTIVE either.  I don't think he (or Ashley) care about how attractive we are.

I think for him to at least be EFFECTIVE though, like we were last season, requires some semblence of consistency in the formation used and the first 11 filling the places.

Yes I tend to agree.

We're very poor at transitional play, both going forward and back.

My opinion was that last season we had results some of our performances didn't deserve. This season we have, by and large, had the results our performances have deserved. I'm certainly not in the 'anyone but Pardew' camp but there are a couple of attainable options i would have instead of him (with Prem experience which i think is important).

My opinion was that last season we had results some of our performances didn't deserve. This season we have, by and large, had the results our performances have deserved.

Agree completely with the above. We didn't deserve 5th place the way we played for a lot of last season, wondergoals and individual performances pulled us through a fair few games. This season we haven't had the rub of the green and our position is a fair representation of the awful tactics and lack of strategy/style/team play imposed byt the management staff at NUFC.

I think we have the beginnings of a fantastic squad and with an intelligent manager we could go really far.

Honestly though, any manager with this type of players at his disposal will make the team win games if there's no injuries. A manager should be good enough to adapt to different situations and not rely on his best players playing every game. I think it's hard for anyone to defend Pardew, but a lot of people defend Pardew for last season, where if anyone remembers the games we weren't good enough either offensively and relied heavily on Krul and Colo making cases for best in their positions in the league and individual brilliance forward. This season with conceding goals we've ended far down the table and deservedly so, we have a footballing coward as a manager. With that said I agree with Incognito, if he is still here come August/September we have to support him and hope he's learnt something over the summer. I still believe any human being can learn from past mistakes, my biggest fear though is that he doesn't see any of this as mistakes and more as bad luck.

As for the stats, nothing says we should be higher up the table on there. Stats are meaningless and especially considering shots on target and so on. That's not creating chances, that's shooting on target which Jonas does with every cross and Cabaye does 5 times a game usually very weakly though. To see in the stats how we actually play we should look at the ratio of shortpasses/longpasses it's embarrassing that almost every 6th pass is a longball. And if you compare to other teams our central defenders average 60passes together per game in between them. Compare that to a team like Stoke where their CBs average like 50 and that will say quite a lot about us, especially as you rarely see our defenders pass the ball on the floor.

I do agree what you said though. you probably will find stats to compromise every opinion and I guess that is true, but having seen our games this season and last season there are little doubt that Pardew is nowhere near good enough for us based on the last 2 and a half years. :thup:

My opinion was that last season we had results some of our performances didn't deserve. This season we have, by and large, had the results our performances have deserved. I'm certainly not in the 'anyone but Pardew' camp but there are a couple of attainable options i would have instead of him (with Prem experience which i think is important).

Yeah, I started a thread on TT last year when we shot into the top 4 about how lucky we had been.  Think we had the easiest start of anyone in the league which galvanized us.

That said, I don't think it would have been particularly harsh this season if we'd picked up a few more points on the performances against...

Wigan (A)

Swansea (A)

Tottenham (A)

Reading (H)

Man U (A)

Fulham (A)

Stoke (A)

Sunderland (A)

Especially Wigan (a). We were robbed there, but at the same time, we should've left Everton with 0 points. Although after that karma hit us bad and we got so many decisions against us. I believe we were very lucky last season but this season too we've been a bit unlucky.

I think HF is merely highlighting that some of the criticisms of the team may be hyperbole. The results have been bad but it may not have always been for the popular reasons.

He can talk for himself but i'm not under the impression he's of a mind that Pardew is a good choice for the squad.

i've kind of lost track of what happy face is on about here, seems to be lots of defending pardew going on - is it from a standpoint of he's not that bad or he's not going anywhere get used to it?

He doesn't trust Ashley to appoint anyone better. As CG pointed out, he's been a classy poster despite the cynicism thrown his way in the last few pages.

i've kind of lost track of what happy face is on about here, seems to be lots of defending pardew going on - is it from a standpoint of he's not that bad or he's not going anywhere get used to it?

It's from the perspective that he is poor, but not as poor as people are making out.  From the perspective that he has been dealt some unbelievable luck this season, despite people refusing to accept his "excuses".  The perspective that he's the best appointment Ashley has managed in 6 years and I fear for the standard of manager he is capable of attracting otherwise.

I would be delighted to see a manager brought in who was not a footballing dinosaur or an inexperienced youth looking for any opportunity.  However, even if it did happen, I don't think they could do significantly better than mid-table with a team that has more often than not consisted of Simpson, Taylor, Williamson and Perch (all not good enough), Anita and Marveaux (not experienced enough yet...but don't look good enough to me), Cabaye and Gutierrez (consistently playing worse than they have previously).....leaving only Krul and Cisse as the players that have performed.....though the latter has been incredibly wasteful while always being the most likely to score for us.

It's from the perspective that he is poor, but not as poor as people are making out.  From the perspective that he has been dealt some unbelievable luck this season, despite people refusing to accept his "excuses".  The perspective that he's the best appointment Ashley has managed in 6 years and I fear for the standard of manager he is capable of attracting otherwise.

I would be delighted to see a manager brought in who was not a footballing dinosaur or an inexperienced youth looking for any opportunity.  However, even if it did happen, I don't think they could do significantly better than mid-table with a team that has more often than not consisted of Simpson, Taylor, Williamson and Perch (all not good enough), Anita and Marveaux (not experienced enough yet...but don't look good enough to me), Cabaye and Gutierrez (consistently playing worse than they have previously).....leaving only Krul and Cisse as the players that have performed.....though the latter has been incredibly wasteful while always being the most likely to score for us.

ah righto ta, i mean i disagree massively with a lot of what you're saying then but that's life